The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Music (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Cover Songs that you think are just as good/better than original, plus horrible ones (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58648)

TurtleWA 08-31-2017 12:32 PM

Cover Songs that you think are just as good/better than original, plus horrible ones

You don't need to post one for every option in title. You could just post what you enjoy. Or whatever. :)

Just as good.

Original: Lynyrd Skynyrd (1973)

Better.

Original: Bob Dylan (1967)

Horrible.

Original: Aerosmith (1975)

Jester 08-31-2017 12:53 PM

Just as good...maybe better:

Soooo bad:

plastroncafe 08-31-2017 12:58 PM

These are the first two that came to my mind.

D'oh! Jester beat me to this one.
That's fine, it's so good it deserves to be shown twice.

Here, have more Cash.

Oh and some Alien Ant Farm

Jester 08-31-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1710842)
D'oh! Jester beat me to this one.

Here, have more Cash.

MORE JOHNNY CASH!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 08-31-2017 01:11 PM

plastroncafe 08-31-2017 01:20 PM

Oh I really like this one too:

Karen O with Academy Award winning Trent Reznor

Andrew NDB 08-31-2017 01:25 PM

Always been fond of this one:

And this one:

Cure 08-31-2017 01:35 PM

I prefer Vanessa Carlton's version of Paint it Black. I know it's not popular but oh well.

snake 08-31-2017 02:14 PM

All Along the Watchtower and Hurt are the best covers. Even better than the original songs.

Powder 08-31-2017 02:18 PM

Original:

Cover:

Original:

Cover:

TurtleWA 08-31-2017 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 1710839)
Just as good...maybe better:

I would vote Better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1710842)
Oh and some Alien Ant Farm

I actually heard the AAF one before the original. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1710848)
Always been fond of this one

Never heard that Busta and Ozzy collaboration. I like it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cure (Post 1710849)
I prefer Vanessa Carlton's version of Paint it Black. I know it's not popular but oh well.

I know the feeling. I don't think this is as popular as the original but I like it.

TurtleWA 08-31-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snake (Post 1710853)
All Along the Watchtower and Hurt are the best covers. Even better than the original songs.

Yes indeed. :)

Some others...Nirvana's cover of 'The Man Who Sold The World' is better than the original by David Bowie. Killswitch Engage's cover of 'Holy Diver' I like more than the original by Dio. And A Perfect Circle's cover of 'Imagine' is almost better than John Lennon's version, imho.

plastroncafe 08-31-2017 03:20 PM

The thing I love specifically about Cash's cover of "hurt" is just how different the song feels with an older man singing it, than when a younger one does.
It almost changes the meaning of the song. Just brilliant.

Wesley 08-31-2017 03:52 PM

Agree with most other choices posted as well.

Just as good: Downtown by the Saw Doctors with petula clark
Original: Petula clark

Better: Dreams by The Corrs
Original: Fleetwood Mac

Better: I'm a Believer by The Monkees
Original: Neil Diamond

Just as good: Fields of Gold by Nadine Coyle
Original: Eva Cassidy

Horrible: Sweet Caroline by Dustin the Turkey
Original: Neil Diamond

snake 08-31-2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleWA (Post 1710869)
Yes indeed. :)

Some others...Nirvana's cover of 'The Man Who Sold The World' is better than the original by David Bowie..

No way! Bowie's version is miles ahead.

Totally agree with Plastron on Hurt. Perfect, perfect fit. Even Trent Reznor thinks that Cash did it better. :lol:

TurtleWA 08-31-2017 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1710872)
The thing I love specifically about Cash's cover of "hurt" is just how different the song feels with an older man singing it, than when a younger one does.
It almost changes the meaning of the song. Just brilliant.

Yeah I can definitely see that. Songs are open to interpretation for sure. With the younger dude it feels like a drug addiction type of song. Yeah Cash had his drug days. But with old Johnny it's like he's showing some despair similar to that found in Eriksons's final developmental stage. Maybe not so much about the addiction aspects though, like with the younger guy. But more about the struggles some have to cope with in later life. Idk.

Andrew NDB 08-31-2017 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleWA (Post 1710884)
Yeah I can definitely see that. Songs are open to interpretation for sure. With the younger dude it feels like a drug addiction type of song. Yeah Cash had his drug days. But with old Johnny it's like he's showing some despair similar to that found in Eriksons's final developmental stage. Maybe not so much about the addiction aspects though, like with the younger guy. But more about the struggles some have to cope with in later life. Idk.

Yeah, the Cash version very much feels like a guy at the end of his days looking back at his whole life, painfully.

The original version was Reznor ruminating about the then-present life of self-inflicted drug squalor he was in at the time and, basically, whining about it. Kind of wish he'd go back to that, though... after "The Fragile" he has barely done any music worth listening to.

snake 08-31-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1710885)
Yeah, the Cash version very much feels like a guy at the end of his days looking back at his whole life, painfully.

The original version was Reznor ruminating about the then-present life of self-inflicted drug squalor he was in at the time and, basically, whining about it. Kind of wish he'd go back to that, though... after "The Fragile" he has barely done any music worth listening to.

Trent is still quality. Add Violence was actually decent and his newer stuff represents the fact that he ISN'T an angsty teenager anymore. Have you seen the dude now? He's buff as f*ck and has a family.

TurtleWA 08-31-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snake (Post 1710883)
No way! Bowie's version is miles ahead.

Perhaps, but I have to say Nirvana or else I get kicked out of the Seattle area. You know the bands somewhat of a local icon. I am biased.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1710885)

I know a lot of musicians find it hard to keep making good music after bigger type successes. Sounds like I'm not missing out on much with him.

Andrew NDB 08-31-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snake (Post 1710886)
Trent is still quality. Add Violence was actually decent and his newer stuff represents the fact that he ISN'T an angsty teenager anymore. Have you seen the dude now? He's buff as f*ck and has a family.

Trent has been huge for a while now. "Tank Reznor" he was called.

Let's see... I loved Pretty Hate Machine, Downward Spiral, The Fragile... and that was about it. I got "With Teeth" and only liked "The Hand That Feeds." I didn't like anything on "Year Zero." I think I remember it being very political... Trent really angry at Bush or something. I enjoyed "Ghosts" and find myself using those as temp audio tracks in film editing, but these are all strictly instrumental tracks. I haven't heard anything since, so you tell me if there's been anything worthwhile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleWA (Post 1710887)
Perhaps, but I have to say Nirvana or else I get kicked out of the Seattle area.

I've never encountered that in Seattle.

Quote:

I know a lot of musicians find it hard to keep making good music after bigger type successes. Sounds like I'm not missing out on much with him.
Hip hop artists are the worst about that. You get maybe one "album," two tops, then it's all about the money and cars and such.

IndigoErth 08-31-2017 04:24 PM

Off the top of my head...

I like "Some Nights" by FUN okay, but I prefer the Brandyn Burnette version on YouTube. Also, Steam Powered Giraffe's version of Diamonds (originally by Rihanna).

TurtleWA 08-31-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1710889)
I've never encountered that in Seattle.

'twas an attempt at humor

sdp 09-03-2017 09:41 PM

I disagree with a lot posted in this thread, one thing I've noticed is if you hear the cover first you tend to like it more than the original as your brain associates that version as the "correct" one.

I can't think of any covers that are truly better than the originals out of the top of my head, I'm sure there are a few but not many, there are some that can be just as good but they're usually very different from the originals. For example I do like Cash's version of Hurt but not as much, I also hate he changed the lyrics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1710889)
Hip hop artists are the worst about that. You get maybe one "album," two tops, then it's all about the money and cars and such.

Well it's the same with Metal bands who have all this "anger" and once they're big they really don't have enough to whine or complain about.

DestronMirage22 09-03-2017 11:50 PM

AmaLee's cover of the Sword Art Online OP is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard.

As much as I like the original Japanese version, something about her voice and the way she sings it just get to me.
It's my go to song when I need motivation or whenever I'm in a reminiscent mood.

FredWolfLeonardo 09-04-2017 12:14 AM

I don't have any specifics and I still love the originals alot, but theres this one guy on Youtube who does covers of Disney songs and I absolutely love them. His name is "Jonathon Young"

ProphetofGanja 09-07-2017 02:23 PM

Started posting this in the other thread but I saw it was a repeat of this thread

Here are mine:
  • "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix (originally by Bob Dylan)
  • "Mad World" by Gary Jules (originally by Tears for Fears)
  • "Dazed and Confused" by Led Zeppelin (originally by Jake Holmes)
  • "Woodstock" by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (originally by Joni Mitchell)
  • "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (originally written by Norman Whitfield and Barret Strong and performed by Gladys Knight and the Pips)
  • "In the Pines" live unplugged by Nirvana (traditional American folk song)
  • "Hotel California", the Gipsy Kings or Majek Fashek version (originally by The Eagles)
  • "Money" by the Easy Star All-Stars ft. Dollarman & Gary "Nesta" Pine (originally by Pink Floyd)
  • "Bongo Bong" by Manu Chao (originally by Mano Negra)

As far as awful, terrible, ****** covers of songs go, the first one off the top of my head is "Behind Blue Eyes" by Limp Bizkit (originally by The Who, and far better)

ToTheNines 09-07-2017 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleWA (Post 1710836)
Just as good.

Original: Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Deftones did it best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja (Post 1712243)
Started posting this in the other thread but I saw it was a repeat of this thread

Here are mine:
  • "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix (originally by Bob Dylan)
  • "Mad World" by Gary Jules (originally by Tears for Fears)
  • "Dazed and Confused" by Led Zeppelin (originally by Jake Holmes)
  • "Woodstock" by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (originally by Joni Mitchell)
  • "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (originally written by Norman Whitfield and Barret Strong and performed by Gladys Knight and the Pips)
  • "In the Pines" live unplugged by Nirvana (traditional American folk song)
  • "Hotel California", the Gipsy Kings or Majek Fashek version (originally by The Eagles)
  • "Money" by the Easy Star All-Stars ft. Dollarman & Gary "Nesta" Pine (originally by Pink Floyd)
  • "Bongo Bong" by Manu Chao (originally by Mano Negra)

As far as awful, terrible, ****** covers of songs go, the first one off the top of my head is "Behind Blue Eyes" by Limp Bizkit (originally by The Who, and far better)

You just blew my mind. Never knew Dazed and Confused was a cover.

TurtleWA 09-07-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1712313)
Deftones did it best.

I never heard that version before. I listen to the first half. I would rank it third, but respect your opinion to place it first. I just prefer the acoustic sound over the distortion in Deftones version. Also the dude sounds like he is makin' out wit da microphone. Not for me. :P

ToTheNines 09-07-2017 07:10 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/81/3a/89/8...oreno-meme.jpg

TurtleWA 09-07-2017 07:56 PM

Never listened to them much to say either way.

Krutch 09-07-2017 08:02 PM

I saw Deftones in Toronto earlier this year with Rise Against. I never really cared for either to be honest, but Rise Against put on the faaaaaaar better show. Every Deftones song sounded the same to be honest.

TurtleWA 09-14-2017 11:46 PM

Tough choice but I think I'll have to go with Marilyn for better than original on this one.

plastroncafe 09-15-2017 07:38 AM

I was at this Golf Club in college when the Manson cover of this song came on, the entire floor cleared in protest and no one danced until the DJ put on the original version.

I do love Manson's cover of Tainted Love however.

TurtleWA 09-15-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1714392)
I was at this Golf Club in college when the Manson cover of this song came on, the entire floor cleared in protest and no one danced until the DJ put on the original version.

I do love Manson's cover of Tainted Love however.

When I started reading the first nine words of your post I thought you were going to say Mason walked into the club. Silly me. :lol:

I could imagine in that type of setting the original is more comfortable to dance to. Makes sense folks walked off the floor.

plastroncafe 09-15-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleWA (Post 1714435)
When I started reading the first nine words of your post I thought you were going to say Mason walked into the club. Silly me. :lol:

I could imagine in that type of setting the original is more comfortable to dance to. Makes sense folks walked off the floor.

OH God! I only notice now the autocorrect.
GOTH, not Golf.

Though...a gothic golf club would be....an amazing site to behold.
Yeah, for some reason the denizens of that particular club weren't very fond of Mr Manson.

TurtleWA 09-15-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1714463)
OH God! I only notice now the autocorrect.
GOTH, not Golf.

Though...a gothic golf club would be....an amazing site to behold.
Yeah, for some reason the denizens of that particular club weren't very fond of Mr Manson.

I've been the victim of autocorrect many times. Not cool. Yeah a gothic golf club would be something. :)

Jester 09-15-2017 02:00 PM

dl316bh 09-18-2017 07:50 PM

I really love the cover of A Horse With No Name used in the fourth season of Bojack Horseman. I'd go so far as to say I probably even like it more than the original.

TurtleWA 09-18-2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 1714525)

That is just so weird for me to see. And he uses clubs called Big Bertha. Mind blown. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl316bh (Post 1715515)
I really love the cover of A Horse With No Name used in the fourth season of Bojack Horseman. I'd go so far as to say I probably even like it more than the original.

That's a catchy sounding cover. :)

PApagreg 09-18-2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 (Post 1711458)
AmaLee's cover of the Sword Art Online OP is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard.

As much as I like the original Japanese version, something about her voice and the way she sings it just get to me.
It's my go to song when I need motivation or whenever I'm in a reminiscent mood.

If we are going to talk about anime covers I gotta give props to MasakoX

The song is even better if you seen TFS abridge
And while this isn't a cover but added lyrics I thought his rendition of Last train home was fantastic