The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Game Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why no good TMNT fighting game? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=52035)

Leo656 05-11-2015 10:43 PM

Man, they really went all-out on those Japanese manuals. Spiffy.

DarkFell 05-11-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1457455)
One thing that often causes that is the file names not being accurate and/or consistent between the character's folder, the character's .DEF file, and the character's listing on the data/select.def file.

If the Mugen program loads but then crashes whenever you try to select a specific character, then that's a likely explanation.

Plus, if you just want to view the sprites and animation files for Mugen characters (Dcat's stuff is a real treat), you can download the program Fighter Factory Ultimate.

Thanks for the mention. I want to give the MUGEN's a go, but wasn't sure how to go about it.

oldmanwinters 05-12-2015 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1457574)
Man, they really went all-out on those Japanese manuals. Spiffy.

I've never actually seen the Japanese manual, but I expect it would be pretty sweet.

The scans I posted were actually from a 1994 Kodansha published Japanese book titled: "TMNT Secret Encyclopedia" or something roughly translated to that effect.

Leo656 05-12-2015 10:33 PM

Oh. Well, f*ck me. :lol: WHATEVER those things were, they were neat-lookin'. :tgrin:

John Pannozzi 05-14-2015 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1457715)
I've never actually seen the Japanese manual, but I expect it would be pretty sweet.

The scans I posted were actually from a 1994 Kodansha published Japanese book titled: "TMNT Secret Encyclopedia" or something roughly translated to that effect.

Could you please post a few more scans, especially one of the front cover?

oldmanwinters 05-14-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi (Post 1458932)
Could you please post a few more scans, especially one of the front cover?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56...psidwsrhlb.jpg

Powder 05-14-2015 08:01 PM

If you've scanned that in full, shoot me the original file, please. I'll clean things up & crop them for you to redistribute. :)

slashpieturtlemix 05-14-2015 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1458958)

That is so cool lol I want to hunt it down now :)

dcat 07-13-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabacooza (Post 1457431)
I did and I could never get it to work. when I put the characters in and tried to use them, I would always get an error.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...en000wfewe.png

Perhaps you're not using the correct version of the M.U.G.E.N. engine.
My TMNT characters are only supported on M.U.G.E.N. 1.0. If you're trying to use them in WinMugen, they won't work and the game will crash.

Download MUGEN 1.0 here

Link to My TMNT MUGEN characters

Link to Kamekaze's TMNT Tournament Fighters characters

have fun and enjoy!

lonewarrior20 07-16-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1455863)
No, nothing wrong with a little gore but MK sees gore as higher priority than gameplay.

If we're gonna pull something from another fighting game, how about using King of Fighters team mechanic instead? That way you can play as all four turtles in a match.

i'd love for snk to do a 2d fighting game. the final boss could be krang with lasers and a final attack with retro mutagen if not beaten in a certain amount of time. though i would like one for the 2012 series where the final boss is super shredder. now that would be an snk boss. spaming with his shooting claws and inescapable grabs that smash you into the floor.

Coola Yagami 10-02-2017 10:20 PM

Man... a Blazblue/Guilty Gear type Tmnt fighting game would kick so much ass....

Prowler 10-04-2017 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1719627)
Man... a Blazblue/Guilty Gear type Tmnt fighting game would kick so much ass....

What about a KOF style TMNT fighting game? I think it'd be cool due to the 2-3 player team battles, and teamwork is a big thing in the TMNT world.

Sabacooza 10-05-2017 01:57 PM

I'd still like to see a TMNT fighter using the Street Fighter 5 engine.

Coola Yagami 10-05-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1719927)
What about a KOF style TMNT fighting game? I think it'd be cool due to the 2-3 player team battles, and teamwork is a big thing in the TMNT world.

Dude yes!! That would be awesome. And make it have sequels and not just be a one time thing.

Andrew NDB 10-05-2017 04:20 PM

If anything, give it the Tekken 7 engine. Full 3D fighting.

And while I don't know how excited I'd be to play a fighter where it's, you know, things like Leonardo vs. April, Casey vs. Rat King... it's probably the most realistic way to get a quality TMNT game. What I mean is, the development time for a fighter is fairly quick (compared to some kind of sandbox game, or anything the last few TMNT games have tried to be), moreso if they are gift-wrapped an engine in their lap.

Panda_Kahn_fan 10-05-2017 09:24 PM

Personally, I'd love to see a TMNT fighting game with a complex story, from the setting of the battle nexus. This setting has so much potential for a street-fighter style epic story!

Ninjinister 10-06-2017 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1720408)
If anything, give it the Tekken 7 engine. Full 3D fighting.

I feel like enough characters in the series are characterized by iconic weapons enough to where something more like SoulCalibur would make sense. Unless you'd rather them only bring out weapons for specials and fight with fisticuffs? That'd be... weird. Almost as weird as Tournament Fighters NES shelving the Turtles' weapons completely.

oldmanwinters 10-06-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1720569)
That'd be... weird. Almost as weird as Tournament Fighters NES shelving the Turtles' weapons completely.

I imagine that was to save on memory (and, ultimately, costs) as they could easily reuse the same Turtle sprite with only a palette change.

Ninjinister 10-06-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1720602)
I imagine that was to save on memory (and, ultimately, costs) as they could easily reuse the same Turtle sprite with only a palette change.

Oh that's undoubtedly why... it just felt wrong.

(And since Hothead ate up so much memory to begin with, I wonder why they didn't just trade him out for a smaller character to save...?)

oldmanwinters 10-06-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1720670)
Oh that's undoubtedly why... it just felt wrong.

(And since Hothead ate up so much memory to begin with, I wonder why they didn't just trade him out for a smaller character to save...?)

You have to admit that convenient explanation in the game manual about why you can't put two Hot-Heads on screen at once was pretty memorable, even if there was a work-around:
Quote:

Due to the nature of the dragon-warrior spirit which inhabits Hot Head's body, there cannot be a duel between two Hot Heads. It would be like putting two Siamese fighting fish in the same bowl. Trust us - that's an ugly scene you don't want to see!
Also, the Chris Allan artwork of the Warrior Dragon looked amazing on the cover!