The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   TMNT Universe RIP (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=60003)

AlZarkovski 05-23-2018 06:03 AM

TMNT Universe RIP

From August 2018 Solicitations:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe #25

Bullet points:
Fantastic final issue.

:(:(:(

oldmanwinters 05-23-2018 06:10 AM

The book had a good run, even though I never cared for the extra dollar on the price vs. the normal book. Hopefully there will still be a good number of mini-series.

Panda_Kahn_fan 05-23-2018 06:43 AM

Sad to see this one go, but I'm betting it was the higher price that helped kill it off. :( hopefully the mini-series will make up for it.

DrSpengler 05-23-2018 06:45 AM

It was a good title content-wise, but the "experimental" back-up strips often didn't justify the $5 price tag.

Going back to a string of miniseries might be the best bet, if it restores those companion storylines to a $4 price point.

ChosenOne 05-23-2018 07:24 AM

A sad, though not entirely unexpected, announcement. We've had some pretty good stories come out of Universe, though I much prefer the mini-series format to be honest. And at least it gets to go out with a bang if the solicitation is anything to go by.

Utrommaniac 05-23-2018 07:51 AM

Yeah, that probably shouldn't be surprise.

But, that sounds like a good story to end the Universe line on. And they do seem to have squeezed in some things that otherwise could not have been done. Unless they had to keep making mini series, and they can only do that once per year.

MikeandRaph87 05-23-2018 08:44 AM

Kevin told us at the NC Comic Con during the panel it would end during the summer and they would go back to constant minis,but asked us not to report it until the solicits came out.

funatic 05-23-2018 08:45 AM

Aw what a bummer! Never took issue with a single issue of Universe, sad to see it go! It felt like the old days of collecting Tales in tandem with the ongoing. I hope we still get consistent minis in its place. Doesn’t B&R Hit the Road come out in August? Does that make 8 TOITLE BOOKS dropping in one month??

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 05-23-2018 09:15 AM

Those back-up stories, man. Nobody wanted to pay an extra $ for them... except for the Leatherhead one, they were bad... :tsad:

RIP, Universe. I'm not surprised to see you go, but I'll still miss you.

ChosenOne 05-23-2018 09:31 AM

What if this is a sorta, kinda fake-out and the September solicits bring us something called TMNT Multiverse, a mini-series that features a crossover with some other iteration(s) of the franchise? :lol: A man can dream!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 05-23-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChosenOne (Post 1761047)
What if this is a sorta, kinda fake-out and the September solicits bring us something called TMNT Multiverse, a mini-series that features a crossover with some other iteration(s) of the franchise? :lol: A man can dream!

I'd hate that. Great title, terrible idea. No Fred Wolf crossover, no Nick crossover, no Rise crossover, no Archie crossover.

neatoman 05-23-2018 09:36 AM

Not that shocking to be honest. Still, 25 issues is nothing to scoff at. It is longer than many other books, including some TMNT books.

spookycookies 05-23-2018 09:36 AM

I'm sad to see it go and I hope that we do get a companion book every month, IDW's TMNT just can't fit in one issue a month at all. If we go back to random mini's that's cool I guess, we don't really need the extra $1 and back up.

ChosenOne 05-23-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1761049)
I'd hate that. Great title, terrible idea. No Fred Wolf crossover, no Nick crossover, no Rise crossover, no Archie crossover.

Apparently it's all the rage these days, what with the concept behind the new Dragon Ball anime that's coming out soon and everything, so why not a Marvel's Secret Wars: TMNT Edition sort of thing? Just for kicks, not really canon, of course.

spookycookies 05-23-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChosenOne (Post 1761052)
Apparently it's all the rage these days, what with the concept behind the new Dragon Ball anime that's coming out soon and everything, so why not a Marvel's Secret Wars: TMNT Edition sort of thing? Just for kicks, not really canon, of course.

If it’s not canon then what’s even the point.

ChosenOne 05-23-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookycookies (Post 1761061)

It's a possibility, is what I'm saying. Guess my original (dumb) joke is snowballing. Something can be not canon and still fit into the continuity just fine.

And the point? Well, the Batman crossovers weren't canon and still sold like hotcakes. This is a business, after all.

DrSpengler 05-23-2018 10:26 AM

I'd dig a multiverse book that just told stories within those different TMNT universe, not necessarily one where the IDW TMNT team-up with a different incarnation in every issue. I admit that's a pretty niche concept, though, and wouldn't be a big seller.

ChosenOne 05-23-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpengler (Post 1761068)
I'd dig a multiverse book that just told stories within those different TMNT universe, not necessarily one where the IDW TMNT team-up with a different incarnation in every issue. I admit that's a pretty niche concept, though, and wouldn't be a big seller.

Not a different one every issue, no. I was thinking more along the lines of all of them at once and their little villainsies too.

"TMNT Secret Wars", basically, or a beefed-up version of Turtles Forever if you will.

Nortock Diab 05-23-2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookycookies (Post 1761061)

Well, as Alan Moore said "This is an imaginary story... aren't they all?".

If the book is enjoyable, do we really need it to be canon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpengler (Post 1761068)

I would love that too!
Or let's make it directly a Mirage Tales vol.3 instead :tgrin:

CyberCubed 05-23-2018 10:43 AM

Man I was following the declining sales in the sales thread, but I didn't think Universe would be canceled so soon.

I guess sales really do matter. The main ongoing has only been hovering around 10,000 or so sales for the last couple of issues too, I hope this isn't a warning sign. I'd like IDW TMNT to continue after issue 100 if possible...