The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   General TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   CBR's "Top Ten Cartoons That Aged Terribly/Or Are Timeless" (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59536)

ZariusTwo 02-06-2018 01:56 PM

CBR's "Top Ten Cartoons That Aged Terribly/Or Are Timeless"

Quote:

Back in the ’80s, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles took the world by storm. Based on a decidedly not “kid friendly” comic book, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles debuted in 1987 and offered a family friendly take on the mutated heroes. It ran until 1996, and along with a mega popular toy line, it seemed like every kid loved the heroes in a half shell.

So, how does the cartoon hold up? Not well. The humor is very immature, and the turtles often times come across as annoying. Shredder is surrounded by villains that are either dumb or annoying (sometimes both). The show was clearly made just to sell toys, and doesn’t hold a candle to the many superior cartoons and movies that have been made since.
https://www.cbr.com/terrible-and-timeless-cartoons/

...The same article lists Transformers G1 as "timeless", but cite the same reasons they deride the first TMNT show for (simplistic stories, made to sell toys, but it's FUN)

CyberCubed 02-06-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

and the turtles often times come across as annoying.
What. I don't how the Turtles can be considered annoying.

FredWolfLeonardo 02-06-2018 02:05 PM

I thought the article was heretical enough to criticize the Original Tmnt Cartoon.

Then, I saw Superman the Animated Series on there and knew I had enough :lol:

neatoman 02-06-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Hollan
So, how does the cartoon hold up? Not well. The humor is very immature, and the turtles often times come across as annoying. Shredder is surrounded by villains that are either dumb or annoying (sometimes both). The show was clearly made just to sell toys, and doesn’t hold a candle to the many superior cartoons and movies that have been made since.

And this is true, so what's the problem?

CyberCubed 02-06-2018 02:19 PM

I think because its missing the point. The original TMNT cartoon was never trying to be a serious cartoon. It was a parody/satire of action cartoons from the start. The show made fun of itself all the time, we're not supposed to wonder why the villains are incompetent.

ZariusTwo 02-06-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1744669)
And this is true, so what's the problem?

The problem is you've grown up

FredWolfLeonardo 02-06-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1744672)
I think because its missing the point. The original TMNT cartoon was never trying to be a serious cartoon. It was a parody/satire of action cartoons from the start. The show made fun of itself all the time, we're not supposed to wonder why the villains are incompetent.

bbbuttttt iiiittttss aaallllll pppoiiintlesssss!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1744676)
The problem is you've grown up

I don't think being an adult is a barrier to enjoying the Original Cartoon.

neatoman 02-06-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

But if he thought it was annoying and immature, does the intention really matter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1744678)
I don't think being an adult is a barrier to enjoying the Original Cartoon.

It mostly is. I guess alcohol, marijuana, sleep deprivation and nostalgia might break it down a bit. I doubt most adults with little to no experience with it would like it while sober.

ZariusTwo 02-06-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1744680)
It mostly is. I guess alcohol, marijuana, sleep deprivation and nostalgia might break it down a bit. I doubt most adults with little to no experience with it would like it while sober.

There can be ways to enjoy it as an adult, either if you have kids yourselves and want to give them a starter before moving up to the edgier material, or, like me, watching classic episodes and "rewriting them" as fanfic adaptations.

FredWolfLeonardo 02-06-2018 02:36 PM

I never watched the Original Cartoon as a kid and got into it later on and still loved it.

Even the worst episodes have something I enjoy, whether it be the performances of the voice actors, the soundtrack, the self aware humour or just a sense of charm/heart in general.

Candy Kappa 02-06-2018 03:02 PM

G1 Transformers is timeless? Oh okay :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-06-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1744664)
What. I don't how the Turtles can be considered annoying.

Very, very easily. Extremely annoying.

triplexxx 02-06-2018 03:17 PM

In any case, this and everything else like it is always a matter of opinion, never fact.

Shark_Blade 02-06-2018 03:50 PM

They have stupid opinion though. Like the people who claim AIDS is harmless.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-06-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Blade (Post 1744729)
They have stupid opinion though. Like the people who claim AIDS is harmless.

I love that you're comparing people's poor opinion of a made-for-toys cartoon to people negating the impact of a horrific disease.

Stay classy, Shark Blade.

CyberCubed 02-06-2018 04:19 PM

Never found the Turtles annoying, 2k3 Mike had some really annoying moments though as the series progressed. None of the OT Turtles had moments like that.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-06-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1744741)
Never found the Turtles annoying, 2k3 Mike had some really annoying moments though as the series progressed. None of the OT Turtles had moments like that.

I strongly disagree.

MikeandRaph87 02-06-2018 05:07 PM

As an adult I see the humor is nearly perfect for my sense of humor. I love puns and sarcasm and that is the basis of the humor in the the 1987 cartoon. I believe my taste in humor was formed thanks to this cartoon peppered with Full House. The 2012 cartoon had darker moments (like Splinter's murder and death of three villains) yet its goofy humor was not my thing. Butt canons on Kraang robots among other things? Its gross humor or stupid funny. Neither humor amuses me as it does not follow the humor type that the 1987 cartoon had and shaped my preferences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1744697)
Very, very easily. Extremely annoying.

Michelangelo is annoying outside of the 1987 cartoon on the small screen.

Papenbrook 02-06-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Hollan
So, how does the cartoon hold up? Not well.The humor is very immature, and the turtles often times come across as annoying. Shredder is surrounded by villains that are either dumb or annoying (sometimes both). The show was clearly made just to sell toys, and doesn’t hold a candle to the many superior cartoons and movies that have been made since.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...90/096/882.gif

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 02-07-2018 06:12 AM

Quote:

The turtles have always been a lot of parody on older hero or superhero comics.