The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   So what did we take away from this series? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57269)

Coola Yagami 01-22-2017 11:15 PM

So what did we take away from this series?

Now that the series is near its end... what did it actually do? What did it really bring to the table for future incarnations?

I mean the OT brought in a lot of memorable characters as well as dimension x and the whole 'rule the world with the technodrome' deal.

The mirage comics brought in the silent partner/Northampton retreat/return to New York story as well as the Triceratons and Karai and whatnot.

The 2K3 series brought in Hun, more focus on the Purple dragons, Bishop, and the battle nexus.

What exactly did this new series bring? Just more grotesque mutants and that psychic April storyline? What story did this series introduce for the next one to adapt? I just don't see the next big tmnt show recreating the psychic April plot or bringing back dogpound and fishface.

Autbot_Benz 01-22-2017 11:23 PM

what we took away from this series is its not that important to Nick and they put it on stupid long breaks and allow South Korea to air episodes months in advance. :lol:

Penst0ck 01-22-2017 11:29 PM

I could see characters like Tiger Claw show up in new incarnations. This show was a real love child of all the different universes of turtles there have been. It showed just how much material tmnt has for an abundance of stories and characters to tell, and the pool has only gotten bigger because of it.

CyberCubed 01-22-2017 11:42 PM

This thread is absolutely absurd. Also nobody better post any end of Season 4 spoilers in this thread from the last 4 episodes or risk getting banned.

In any case, the Nick cartoon successfully introduced a whole new gen of kids to TMNT. In terms of characters, Tigerclaw, Fishface and Bradford/Rahzar have all been standouts and will probably continue to future incarnations. Some of the secondary mutants have been fun as well, such as Snakeweed.

It also brought back and reinvented tons of old characters, like Lord Dregg, Armaggon, all the Mutanimals characters such as Mondo, Slash, etc, the Punk Frogs, Bebop/Rocksteady, etc, etc.

It did exactly what it was supposed to do.

snake 01-23-2017 12:22 AM

It was an enjoyable love letter to TMNT as a whole. I think we can take away the first season as some of the best TMNT media around, or atleast in my opinion it is. Season 2 onwards has some cool stories that any fan of the franchise will like.

IDW will probably be more "influential" to future incarnations though.

Ashwolf 01-23-2017 12:59 AM

it hasnt even officially been confirmed that there arent gonna be more seasons after season 5

ssjup81 01-23-2017 01:10 AM

It entertained me. That's all that matters at the end of the day for me.

Metalwolf 01-23-2017 07:45 AM

What is the takeaway? That a Turtle series needs to do more then just pander to a previous series. It needs to learn to be original too because nostalgia and rehashed old storylines can only carry it so far.

It also needs to know when a plot is being dragged out too long, when villains get too bumbling and comedic relief for their own good, and that plot consistency and characterization are important if one wants to ensure that what happens, matters.

Otherwise, it bores people, make them scratch their heads, and gives us Mary Sue characters like April.

ToTheNines 01-23-2017 08:01 AM

Best. Leo. Ever.

neatoman 01-23-2017 10:07 AM

It's hard to figure out the future impact but let's see what it brought that was new.

Let's see here... Anime gags? Cartoon parodies?

Jephael 01-23-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjup81 (Post 1655150)
It entertained me. That's all that matters at the end of the day for me.

Same here, dude. Not much else can be said about it.

PApagreg 01-23-2017 10:12 AM

I do kinda hope some future incarnations use Xever more

evan2000 01-23-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1655184)
Best. Leo. Ever.

I'd say the best Donnie ever too! :tgrin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1655207)
It's hard to figure out the future impact but let's see what it brought that was new.

Let's see here... Anime gags? Cartoon parodies?

Turtles that actually act like teenagers :tlol:

IndigoErth 01-23-2017 10:25 AM

What I liked that it has brought/added to TMNT:
* Differing designs of each Turtle, including different eye colors (and with the movies picking up on that as well, Leo is probably going to be considered blue eyed by me from now on :P).
* A mashup of serious and funny, bringing together the opposing tones of the prior two shows.
* A cool new baddie in Tiger Claw (he's a Nick original, right?).

Honorable mentions... I like younger Splinter and Karai as his daughter, though I could take it or leave it for future incarnations. New take on Rat King was kinda cool.

Since they're winding it down at this point they're kind of stopping short on original stories since they did a lot of new takes on old stuff, so I'm kind of short on what it brought truly new in that regard. Who knows, maybe the next season will add some new ideas since they're supposedly changing the formula a bit via brief stories that last a few episodes instead of the continued serialized thing.

What I would gladly leave to 2012 alone... Magic powers April. Young April and Casey (it's been fun, but leave it here), Mikey's portrayal as such a dimwit, and his ear bleeding screaming. Kid-acting Turtles. Also been fun, but I want my grown-acting/seeming Turtles back now... Or legitimately grown next time.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 01-23-2017 10:26 AM

That everybody is still okay typecasting Mikey as an immature annoying screw-up and Donnie as a low-powered ex-machina-building weak geek?

CyberCubed 01-23-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1655218)
That everybody is still okay typecasting Mikey as an immature annoying screw-up and Donnie as a low-powered ex-machina-building weak geek?

You mean the same way IDW does, albeit less obvious? Don getting his shell smashed, he's still drawn more lanky in the IDW series than the other Turtles. And while IDW Mikey has a lot of heart, he's still portrayed in the early issues as wanting to goof off and play videogames.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 01-23-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz (Post 1655133)
what we took away from this series is its not that important to Nick and they put it on stupid long breaks and allow South Korea to air episodes months in advance. :lol:

With the breaks, Nickelodeon can make even more money on it over a larger time without producing new episodes. Instead of season 4 airing over one year, it was spread over two. Market like two seasons, for the price of one!

FredWolfLeonardo 01-23-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1655218)

They weren't always like that in the series. Maybe that's the public perception, but the characters themselves had pretty balanced and interesting personalities

neatoman 01-23-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evan2000 (Post 1655211)
I'd say the best Donnie ever too! :tgrin:

I don't know, he just makes me think of stuff like this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...b371955671.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by evan2000 (Post 1655211)
Turtles that actually act like teenagers :tlol:

I don't know, maybe it got somewhat closer than previous incarnations but I don't think they weren't already trying to do that.

Anyway, when it comes to more substantial additions I'm not sure how well they're going to stick in the future. I don't think April's psychic powers or Hamato Yoshi being Karai's father are going to stick, basically most of the revisions to previously established characters don't really seem like they're going to remain. Some of the new characters like Fishface or Tiger Claw might pop up in the future but I'm mostly seeing them being treated like blank slates.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 01-23-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1655235)
You mean the same way IDW does, albeit less obvious? Don getting his shell smashed, he's still drawn more lanky in the IDW series than the other Turtles. And while IDW Mikey has a lot of heart, he's still portrayed in the early issues as wanting to goof off and play videogames.

"Lanky" has nothing to do with it. And yeah, Don got smashed by Bebop and Rocksteady--that would have happened to ANY of the four Turtles going up against them alone. Not relevant.

As for Mikey, he hasn't been portrayed as a screw-up at all. There's a difference between a well-rounded character with flaws (IDW) or a 1-dimensional character solely defined by stereotypes (Nick).