The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Love and TMNT? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57899)

DestronMirage22 05-08-2017 11:13 PM

Love and TMNT?

I'm (painfully) single so I don't know about this kind of stuff, but how well does TMNT mix with romantic relationships? Has your interest in TMNT ever affected your love life?

To those with spouses, someone their dating, or have someone they're in love with, what does the other individual think about your interest in TMNT? Are they supportive or do they not really care?

Any relationships ended because of the TMNT?

Utrommaniac 05-08-2017 11:43 PM

My boyfriend doesn't entirely care. He certainly isn't in the fandom, but he accepts it well enough.

I think you'll find a good number of people on here are married. I think there's four or five that I know of?

Andrew NDB 05-09-2017 12:02 AM

She humors me. That's enough.

Candy Kappa 05-09-2017 02:49 AM

My ex-fiance hated TMNT, so that was... fun. The relationship didn't end because of TMNT, though. They got really needy and paranoid during my finals when I was doing 3D Game Design, and they broke up with me because I wasn't "committed to the relationship" and apparently "slutting around with fellow students", but they where the one having a online relationship with a Guild member on WoW :lol:

My living partner don't mind, though. We've seen a whole lot of the FW cartoon, half of NM and been watching the current Nick cartoon together, and we've seen the 1990 and 2007 movie together. She also have a favorite turtle, and I gifted her a Mutatin' Donatello that she likes.

MsMarvelDuckie 05-09-2017 04:29 AM

My other half is not a fan per se but he will watch it with me and doesn't mind that I like it. He teases me occassionally about being "obsessed" due to the number of figures and comics I have bought but that's it.

Katie 05-09-2017 05:56 AM

Never been a problem for me.

Of course My SO and I met here so....:D

Stryker isn't active here much anymore, but he's still into the Turtles. I'm just a little more in than he is.

Before I was with Stryker, I had a fiance who was killed in a car accident. He was not into TMNT but didn't mind that I was. He died around the time that the 2K3 show came out and I remember one day we were in WalMart and I saw the toys. I didn't even know there was a new show coming out. He bought me a Leonardo. I didn't have the heart to tell him Leo was my least favorite :P. I still have it though.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 05-09-2017 07:54 AM

I convinced her to like TMNT and Star Trek, she got me hooked on Tolkien and fantasy in general.

CyberCubed 05-09-2017 12:44 PM

Why on earth would liking TMNT be a problem in a relationship? It's not like people will always like whatever shows/cartoons/movies/comics, etc. that your significant other likes.

Andrew NDB 05-09-2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1681625)
Why on earth would liking TMNT be a problem in a relationship?

Like with new friends, it's generally a bit of an embarrassment. It always goes about the same way.

"Oh... TMNT. Huh. Really?"

"Yeah, they're cool."

"Yeah, I used to like the cartoon. When I was 5."

"No, no no, not that. I don't like that at all."

And it becomes this big, awkward educating about the Mirage TMNT that never quite feels like I've actually gotten anywhere and possibly just dug myself in an even deeper, geekier hole.

Vegita-San 05-09-2017 01:00 PM

i'd actually prefer if they where not a fan.

some of the more extreme turtle fans are a little on the unique side.

my hope is that they'd like it, they enjoy watching it when it's on, but if it's not on the tv, they don't give it another moments thought :).

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 05-09-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1681626)
Like with new friends, it's generally a bit of an embarrassment. It always goes about the same way.

"Oh... TMNT. Huh. Really?"

"Yeah, they're cool."

"Yeah, I used to like the cartoon. When I was 5."

"No, no no, not that. I don't like that at all."

And it becomes this big, awkward educating about the Mirage TMNT that never quite feels like I've actually gotten anywhere and possibly just dug myself in an even deeper, geekier hole.

Literally every first conversation I've had with ANYONE on the TMNT since grade school. And usually also the last conversation. :trazz:

Andrew NDB 05-09-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1681632)
Literally every first conversation I've had with ANYONE on the TMNT since grade school. And usually also the last conversation. :trazz:

Right?

And even if they listen or hear me out, I still feel like there is this lurking doubt within them. Like they're thinking to themself, "Whatever, you're just making this up" or worse, "Yeah right, I bet you really do like the TMNT cartoon. I bet you play with a Bebop doll, don't you?".

FredWolfLeonardo 05-09-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1681637)
Right?

And even if they listen or hear me out, I still feel like there is this lurking doubt within them. Like they're thinking to themself, "Whatever, you're just making this up" or worse, "Yeah right, I bet you really do like the TMNT cartoon. I bet you play with a Bebop doll, don't you?".

But dont you like the FW cartoon? I thought 80s Leo was your fave.

Andrew NDB 05-09-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1681639)
But dont you like the FW cartoon? I thought 80s Leo was your fave.

I do not. And no he's not.

DestronMirage22 05-09-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 1681631)
Have you dated anyone before?

No.
I've never even been close enough to anyone to consider them a true friend, much less met any girl that was interested in me and wasn't a total ditz.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 05-09-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1681637)
Right?

I hear you. I always feel like they think I'm overcompensating when I start talking about the comics. "Uh huh... sure... black and white, really? Reaaally. Sure."

Thanks to IDW's reprints, now whenever somebody new hears me mention TMNT, I take them upstairs to my office and show them the Mirage "City at War" hardbacks or "Return to New York." That proves my point that TMNT isn't just "pizza Bebop and Rocksteady Cowabunga" pretty quickly.

Andrew NDB 05-09-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Kappa (Post 1681544)
My living partner don't mind, though.

Does your dead partner mind?

Candy Kappa 05-09-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1681646)
Does your dead partner mind?

Pretty sure they're responsible for toppling over my figures, so probably not :lol:

Ninjinister 05-09-2017 03:06 PM

I once dated a girl that I met here. It was nice being around someone who knew who I was talking about when I said names like Dooney and Lawson.

My last girlfriend was a semi-casual fan... knew most of the basic characters but didn't keep "in" on anything past Turtles Forever and forgets Laird and Eastman's names all the time (I don't fault her for this as I forget my own name a lot). I have some prints of a couple arts she did of Sophie Campbell's fan comic designs that she gave me for Christmas. We still talk all the time though so we sill discuss the series a lot.

Andrew NDB 05-09-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1681680)
I once dated a girl that I met here.

That was your first mistake.