The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   General TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How many 80's movie homages did the original cartoon do? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57517)

CyberCubed 03-08-2017 06:06 PM

How many 80's movie homages did the original cartoon do?

I can think of a few but I wonder if I'm missing any:

1. The Pizza Monsters are based on the Alien franchise. Both the way they look and how their early forms start off small and tiny and then grow huge.

2. Rex-1 was based on Robocop, an obvious reference of a robot police cop.

3. "Rondo In New York" from Season 4 is based on Rambo/Sylvester Stallone. The movie actor who becomes real jumping out of the cinema.

4. There was a king kong parody in the episode with the giant ape and Donatello gets huge to fight him, the ape even carries April up a building.

5. Many of the mobsters in the original cartoon are based on popular gangster or mob movies.

6. In Season 6 the robot terminator who is sent to kill Kerma resembles the Terminator franchise.

7. Maac the robot from the future in Season 3 is also vaguely based on Terminator.

8. The Neutrinos starmobiles might be based on Back to the Future.

9. There was a lot of Star Wars influence in general with the Technodrome being similar to the Death Star, dimension x aliens, the laser guns, etc.

Any others?

Prowler 03-08-2017 06:09 PM

King Kong and many of the big mobster movies aren't from the 80s though.

CyberCubed 03-08-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1666365)

Well close enough. There are mobster movies made in every decade. King Kong has been also remade several times.

Also "Gorgonzilla" is based on Godzilla of course.

Luke795 03-08-2017 06:29 PM

The Turtle Terminator is based off the Terminator.

CyberCubed 03-08-2017 06:32 PM

Come to think of it the Season 2 plant monster was likely based on, "Little pet shop of horrors."

Coola Yagami 03-08-2017 07:54 PM

You don't scare us, we've seen every episode of Stars Trek!

turtle1237 03-08-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1666366)
Well close enough. There are mobster movies made in every decade. King Kong has been also remade several times.

I don't recall a 1980's King Kong remake though. There was the 2 King Kong films in 1933. Than he dukes it out with Godzilla and has a island escape movie in the 1960's. Than the 1970's remake. After that, we had to wait until 2005 for Peter Jackson to put his print on the film.

MrPliggins 03-08-2017 11:01 PM

I think MACC was more based off of Johnny-5 from Short Circuit. Maybe he was a Johnny-5-Terminator hybrid.

Enter: the Fly was based on The Fly starring Jeff Goldblum, although the mutation made more sense in the movie.

The episode titles were often a play on a movie name: "Invasion of the Turtle Snatchers", "It Came From Beneath The Sewers", "Attack of the 50-foot Irma", "Four Turtles and a Baby", etc. Sometimes heavy-handed ("Son of Return of the Fly II" title enforcing the idea that it's a sequel of a sequel of a sequel).

The writers were definitely movie buffs.

pferreira 03-09-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPliggins (Post 1666409)
The episode titles were often a play on a movie name: "Invasion of the Turtle Snatchers", "It Came From Beneath The Sewers", "Attack of the 50-foot Irma", "Four Turtles and a Baby", etc. Sometimes heavy-handed ("Son of Return of the Fly II" title enforcing the idea that it's a sequel of a sequel of a sequel).

Plan Six from Outer Space is a play on one of the worst films ever made.

Quote:

Yeah the writers grew up with 50's B-movies so when creating episodes they took from old movies. I thought they did a good job there although the immediate difference between how sci-fi is presented between the FW show and Mirage is FW was based on classical sci-fi while Mirage was based on cyberpunk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1666365)

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtle1237 (Post 1666382)
I don't recall a 1980's King Kong remake though. There was the 2 King Kong films in 1933. Than he dukes it out with Godzilla and has a island escape movie in the 1960's. Than the 1970's remake. After that, we had to wait until 2005 for Peter Jackson to put his print on the film.

I know it's a stretch but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Kong_Lives

ssjup81 03-09-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1666366)

Only 3 to my knowledge. The original from the 1930s, the 1976 one, and that one with Jack Black. At the time, only the first two would've been out.

ssjup81 03-09-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

I think MACC was more based off of Johnny-5 from Short Circuit. Maybe he was a Johnny-5-Terminator hybrid.

Enter: the Fly was based on The Fly starring Jeff Goldblum, although the mutation made more sense in the movie.

The Fly with Jeff Goldblum was a remake, but I figured that was the case for the show as well.

That aside, seems like they enjoyed their 50s and 60s B-movies based on the titles of some eps.

CyberCubed 03-09-2017 04:15 PM

Also in Season 2 when Shredder uploads that all intelligent computer that takes over all the electric systems in the city, that has to be based on some old movie too, right? I mean there are intelligent AI computers in a lot of sci-fi movies, but I wonder if he's based on one in particular.

Prowler 03-09-2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1666599)
Also in Season 2 when Shredder uploads that all intelligent computer that takes over all the electric systems in the city, that has to be based on some old movie too, right? I mean there are intelligent AI computers in a lot of sci-fi movies, but I wonder if he's based on one in particular.

The Mean Machines? That computer always reminded me of Andross form SNES Star Fox. Although the episode pre-dates the game. I wonder if both drew inspiration from the same source?

CyberCubed 03-09-2017 04:31 PM

Possibly, I've never seen the movie. Also, "Leonardo cuts loose" the episode with the body builders who get super strong which is also a Casey Jones episode are based on Arnold Schwarzeneggar and other 80's body builders.

turtle1237 03-09-2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjup81 (Post 1666552)
Only 3 to my knowledge. The original from the 1930s, the 1976 one, and that one with Jack Black. At the time, only the first two would've been out.

King Kong did have a sequel called the Son of Kong. It came out 9 months after the 1933 classic.

turtle1237 03-09-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pferreira (Post 1666537)
Plan Six from Outer Space is a play on one of the worst films ever made.

Yeah the writers grew up with 50's B-movies so when creating episodes they took from old movies. I thought they did a good job there although the immediate difference between how sci-fi is presented between the FW show and Mirage is FW was based on classical sci-fi while Mirage was based on cyberpunk.

I know it's a stretch but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Kong_Lives

Well it was a bad sequel to the 70's remake. Does not count.

MsMarvelDuckie 03-09-2017 06:29 PM

I will confirm the Macc as Johnny-5 one. He even had a similar design and pacifist outlook. Even his original "purpose" as a weapon is obviously based on him.

The starmobiles being based on Back to the Future is a stretch. They were just souped up hotrods for alien teens; probably had more in common with the cars in Grease.

That said the kid's toy in Invasion of the Turtle Snatchers was an obvious nod to 2001's monolith.

MrPliggins 03-09-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1666627)

That said the kid's toy in Invasion of the Turtle Snatchers was an obvious nod to 2001's monolith.

Also the aliens in that episode, Klaatu, Barada and Nikto were named after The Day the Earth Stood Still. That episode was just chock full of references.

CyberCubed 03-09-2017 08:07 PM

Damn, so many movie references. There's more than I realized.

Also I wonder if "Planet of the Turtles," (the Season 4 ep, not the Turtleoid planet), was based on Planet of the Apes. C'mon, an all-Turtle planet with that name? Seemed like a Planet of the Apes reference.

Skinrash 03-11-2017 01:18 AM

There was a parody of Freddy Krueger in one episode.

More non-80s references
Casey Jones' voice was based on Dirty Harry. I think he even used the famous "you feel lucky punk?" line at one point if memory serves right.
Baxter's computer buddy felt reminiscent of Hal from 2001: A space odyssey.