The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Universal to relaunch Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58748)

TigerClaw 09-15-2017 01:54 PM

Universal to relaunch Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis

It looks like Jamie Lee Curtis will be reprising he role of Laurie Strode, for Universal's relaunch of Halloween.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/horro...launch-a153861

It seems that they are ignoring Halloween: Resurrection, since Laurie Strode was killed off in that one.

Andrew NDB 09-15-2017 01:56 PM

Halloween: H40?

Yeah, sounds like it's ignoring H20 and Resurrection. Weird. H3 ignored H1 and H2, H20 wiped out H4, H5, and H6, then the Zombie movies obviously wiped out all Halloween movies. Now this appears to be a soft sequel to just H1 and H2, ignoring all others... basically a remake of H20. I don't think there's another movie series out there with such a continuous cycle of canon adjusting and reboots.

I can see why they'd want to void Resurrection as it clumsily killed Laurie off, but H20 was pretty lauded at the time.

ZariusTwo 09-15-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1714520)

Yeah, sounds like it's ignoring H20 and Resurrection. Weird. H3 ignored H1 and H2, H20 wiped out H4, H5, and H6, then the Zombie movies obviously wiped out all Halloween movies. Now this appears to be a soft sequel to just H1 and H2, ignoring all others... basically a remake of H20. I don't think there's another movie series out there with such a continuous cycle of canon adjusting and reboots.

Terminator would be a candidate

So would Highlander.

Andrew NDB 09-15-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1714522)
Terminator would be a candidate

So would Highlander.

Terminator? Not in film, at all. 5 kind of ignores 4, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. 1, 2, 3, 4 all work together just fine beyond the fact that it should have been Cyber Research Systems in T4 and not Cyberdyne. Though yeah, there is a lot of "canon adjusting" in T5 alone, to be sure.

Highlander? In film only one time. H3 wiped out H2, that's it. H1, H3, H4, and H5 all work fine together (even though nobody likes H5). I mean, you have to apply the retcon of "They aren't the last Immortals in H1 or H3, and no Prize was won" but then it all works fine, even with the TV show.

Krutch 09-15-2017 02:36 PM

*cough* X-Men, your favourite franchise :tcool:

Allio 09-15-2017 02:48 PM

man, H20 really sucked

Krutch 09-15-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allio (Post 1714554)
man, H20 really sucked

H20 tried to adapt the Scream vibe that was popular at the time. And while I'm a huge Scream fan, Halloween shouldn't have tried to go that route.

Andrew NDB 09-15-2017 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krutch (Post 1714559)
H20 tried to adapt the Scream vibe that was popular at the time. And while I'm a huge Scream fan, Halloween shouldn't have tried to go that route.

I thought it was effective. And I thought Resurrection was hilarious. Then again, I don't know if I can call myself a Halloween fan. Halloween 1 was a yawner to me, and Halloween 2 was more of the same. 3 was cool for what it was. 4, 5, and 6 were all horrible, horrible movies. I've never seen the Zombie stuff.

Krutch 09-15-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1714562)
I thought it was effective. And I thought Resurrection was hilarious. Then again, I don't know if I can call myself a Halloween fan. Halloween 1 was a yawner to me, and Halloween 2 was more of the same. 3 was cool for what it was. 4, 5, and 6 were all horrible, horrible movies. I've never seen the Zombie stuff.

Halloween 1 is awesome. 2 was a bit of a snooze. I'm with ya for 3-6. Both Zombie movies get a bad rep but I like them. I especially appreciate how wildly different in approach they are from the first to the second.

Andrew NDB 09-15-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krutch (Post 1714565)
Both Zombie movies get a bad rep but I like them. I especially appreciate how wildly different in approach they are from the first to the second.

That's why I suspect I might like them. I just haven't bothered to yet.

I think my problem is that I didn't see Halloween 1 & 2 until I was already in my mid-20s. By then I'd already loooong seen all of the Friday the 13ths, and Halloween 1 & 2 just seemed like smaller scale, slower and lamer versions of the better F13s. And Jason would tear Michael Myers to pieces.

Krutch 09-15-2017 03:20 PM

Won't disagree with ya there. I'm a Jason guy all the way :D

The Deadman 09-15-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1714520)

I can see why they'd want to void Resurrection as it clumsily killed Laurie off, but H20 was pretty lauded at the time.

Halloween 3 ignored the first 2 because the rest of the series was supposed to be stand alone stories, but when H3 was total crap...they reverted back to the Michael story.

Andrew NDB 09-15-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Deadman (Post 1714604)
but when H3 was total crap...

It wasn't total crap, it wasn't even bad. It just wasn't "Michael Myers killing people" again, so people avoided it.

MsMarvelDuckie 09-15-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krutch (Post 1714569)
Won't disagree with ya there. I'm a Jason guy all the way :D

Meh, Freddy pwns them both. And before anyone brings up the ending to FvsJ, I will say flat out that Jason did NOT win that fight. Not only did he NOT truly "kill" Freddy (you can't- he's part of the dream realm now) but Freddy also got exactly what he wanted out of it- namely being remembered (and feared) again!

Redeemer 09-16-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1714616)
Meh, Freddy pwns them both. And before anyone brings up the ending to FvsJ, I will say flat out that Jason did NOT win that fight. Not only did he NOT truly "kill" Freddy (you can't- he's part of the dream realm now) but Freddy also got exactly what he wanted out of it- namely being remembered (and feared) again!

I don't know lets not get "A-head" of ourselves :lol:

But seriously when someone takes your head off you lose the match.

Krutch 09-16-2017 02:43 PM

The ending of Freddy vs Jason was such a cop out.

It was good in that both fans will eternally argue over who actually won, but lousy in that if we're being honest, the winner was Laurie.

sdp 09-16-2017 02:58 PM

I've only ever seen Halloween and H20, only remember the original film, maybe one day I'll watch the whole series just to find a way to shoehorn all the films in one continuity somehow :lol:

Last October I watched the reboots of Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street and finished it off with FvJ. They're ok, they weren't necessarily bad they just felt like a pointless remake, those horror icons were a product of its time and you can't market them like you did in the 80s and 90s.

Really for these horror icons they need to give one of those horror enthusiasts a low budget and have them make the movie of their dreams and I'm sure the niche fanbase will love it and it'll be a success. I'm not saying any horror enthusiast, obviously some director who is competent but yeah similar to how Chucky has been surviving recently with smaller budget films while Freddy/Jason are just seen as box office failures. Hell make movies set in the 80s and 90s before cellphones where everywhere to suspend disbelief easier. After the success of Stranger Things and IT others should take notice and just set movies in a time when it's still "modern" but not having phones with data on them.

As far as FvJ, it would've been huge if released in the 90s. Imagine ending 1999 with it, but by the time it came out it was a bit too late, sure it was still getting attention but not all it could've. The ending was good, you make both fans happy on who "won". The soundtrack was not that bad either, I reviewed that last year as well :lol:

Allio 09-16-2017 03:04 PM

Freddy vs Jason vs Ash was just better.

KillCrites 04-19-2018 10:32 AM

First poster is here. This looks incredible.

newfan 04-19-2018 11:05 AM

I read that it takes place after the first movie (though must be many years later) but pays tribute to the others, not sure how. Halloween seems to overlook previous movies a little anyway.
I also read she once again has a daughter, wasn't Jamie, the girl in 4,5...6? supposed to be her daughter? Then in H20 it's a son she had, though she would have had a grandson, the baby Jamie had in... was it 6?... but that baby came from Myers and Jamie was killed, they obviously wanted to wipe clean and just give her a teen son, also she had been absent after 2.
Looking forward to seeing this.

As for the other comments, I haven't seen all the Friday 13th's, maybe 2 of them and then the reboot. Nightmare on Elmstreet, most but not sure if all of them.