The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Power Rangers - the appreciation and discussion thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=11959)

Allio 05-12-2017 11:54 PM

not really surprising, it isn't really a blockbuster type of film.

Andrew NDB 05-13-2017 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz (Post 1682510)

Told ya guys. They hate Japanese stuff.

Storm Eagle 05-13-2017 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krutch (Post 1682518)
Well that bites. Fingers still crossed for a sequel, who knows?

I can live without a sequel, and I haven't even seen the movie. It has been getting a lot of good reviews, but I don't think a Power Rangers movie is going to break any records.

Shark_Blade 05-13-2017 02:40 AM

Possibly no sequel I guess. I'm shooked.

Allio 05-13-2017 07:40 AM

not everything needs to be a franchise.

Krutch 05-13-2017 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allio (Post 1682562)
not everything needs to be a franchise.

But its...it's Power Rangers. It's one of the longest running franchises there is :lol:

ranger_scout 05-13-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz (Post 1682510)

Now the chances of a sequel are VERY, VERY SLIM. It really has been Déjà vu with what has happened to the original film back in 1995. Pocahontas, a film featuring a Disney Princess, opened one weekend prior to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers the Movie and it was much more dominant at the box-office even though the latter was based on a hugely popular kids show. Two months ago, another Disney film Beauty and the Beast was extremely successful while Power Rangers under-performed.

sdp 05-13-2017 05:59 PM

I hadn't seen people on the internet so excited about Power Rangers since the movie was getting ready to release, the franchise hadn't recieved this much mainstream attention likely since the original MMPR fad; Not even when Saban bought the rights back did I see so much stuff being written, not to mention all the merchandise that has been available since the movie was announced.

The movie didn't receive tons of bad reviews, in fact the fan reviews were higher than the critics so it wasn't the word of mouth that killed it. I guess it was just that the younger teens couldn't really get into it and it was only kids and adults who were interested.

There goes the 7 movies, though I still think Saban is not entirely unhappy with the movie in general since it did bring a lot of money from all the licensing deals.

Storm Eagle 05-13-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger_scout (Post 1682633)
Now the chances of a sequel are VERY, VERY SLIM. It really has been Déjà vu with what has happened to the original film back in 1995. Pocahontas, a film featuring a Disney Princess, opened one weekend prior to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers the Movie and it was much more dominant at the box-office even though the latter was based on a hugely popular kids show. Two months ago, another Disney film Beauty and the Beast was extremely successful while Power Rangers under-performed.

A Power Rangers movie has a huge chance of "underperforming" no matter what it's up against. I'm a huge fan, but I have no problem accepting that possibility. Like I said earlier, I could live with the movie not getting a sequel. This movie itself could have never happened, and I'd have been fine with that too. A lot of fans have been clamoring for a new movie for the longest, but I figured that it wouldn't do all that great if it happened. It did happen, and now look. The people who saw it may have liked it, but the way it performed has fans biting their nails wondering if it get a sequel or not.

ranger_scout 05-15-2017 03:31 PM

Even though a sequel isn't likely to happen, Ludi Lin, who played Zack, will be fine. He just got cast as Murk in Aquaman.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/power-ra...os-1202094026/

DestronMirage22 05-15-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger_scout (Post 1682970)
Even though a sequel isn't likely to happen, Ludi Lin, who played Zack, will be fine. He just got cast as Murk in Aquaman.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/power-ra...os-1202094026/

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but wouldn't news like that be more suitable for the Aquaman thread?

Allio 05-15-2017 04:01 PM

"Oh, at first sign of trouble and already the kid is jumping ship. At least I'll never abandon you Power Rangers fans. HEYAH!"

-JDF

sdp 05-15-2017 04:06 PM

haha is that a real quote or not? Hard to tell with JDF :lol:

Storm Eagle 05-15-2017 05:17 PM

Target's exclusive for the Power Rangers movie is steelbook packaging, and a 54-page graphic novel, which is actually Power Rangers Aftershock.

https://www.target.com/p/saban-s-pow...l/-/A-52436760

I'm passing on this. For one thing, although steelbook packaging can look pretty cool, it's something I can live without. Additionally, its copies of the novel aren't even the full version, which has 96 pages. Before we knew just what stores would have what, two retailers were said to have exclusive bonus features, and one of them would have them available digitally. So those would have to be Best Buy and Wal-Mart. Best Buy has a listing for what might be their exclusive, but still no cover art, or any other information. Walmart had listings for the DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K Blu-ray versions, but they've since been taken down. They have yet to put them back up.

Allio 05-15-2017 05:21 PM

I'll wait a few years before I decide to pick up the movie or not, don't want to get invested into the franchise if the sequels aren't good.

Autbot_Benz 05-15-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allio (Post 1682976)
"Oh, at first sign of trouble and already the kid is jumping ship. At least I'll never abandon you Power Rangers fans. HEYAH!"

-JDF

Good Grief JDF has the biggest Ego of all the former rangers. He acts like he is Power Rangers. PR started without you JDF and it will survive without you :roll:

Storm Eagle 05-15-2017 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 (Post 1682973)
Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but wouldn't news like that be more suitable for the Aquaman thread?

Ludi Lin is basically part of Power Rangers history now. So it's fair game here.

ZariusTwo 05-16-2017 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 (Post 1682973)

No, because it's still news on what PR alumni are up to.

Krutch 05-16-2017 11:54 AM

I still think there's a small chance of a sequel. I feel like it's a movie that will have a great Netflix life. Plus, they can undershoot the budget now that principal designs are out of the way so they can save a lot of bucks there.

Won't be surprised if there is no sequel, but if it gets one, I imagine it won't be greenlit for another year or so.

Andrew NDB 05-16-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krutch (Post 1683119)
I still think there's a small chance of a sequel. I feel like it's a movie that will have a great Netflix life.

Netflix gives the studio back pennies, peanuts. It's movie graveyard.

Zero chance of a Power Rangers sequel now.