The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   No military involvement in OotS? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57228)

Andrew NDB 01-18-2017 10:43 AM

No military involvement in OotS?

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/phot...28-800-536.jpg

http://wp.production.patheos.com/blo...Field-Band.jpg

https://scienceofskill.com/wp-conten...S-military.jpg

Doesn't a space vortex open up and the Technodrome appear above New York City in the movie? As much as Bay and Dunes strangely have a hard-on for using the military and military characters in their movies (including the 2014 movie, which saw a very militarized and de-martial arts-ized Foot Clan), it's more than a little surprising they wouldn't have used what was... probably the best opportunity ever to do so. Any thoughts as to why?

I don't care, of course. But it does strike me as odd.

FredWolfLeonardo 01-18-2017 12:11 PM

In the movie, it was stated that the technodromes atmosphere was toxic and only mutants like the turtles could stand it. Of course, that doesn't explain how Shredder was able to be in it or why the military didn't attack it from the outside.

Atleast in the OT, there was lots and lots of time to develop the plot and there are scenes of the military attacking the technodrome or Krangs rock soldiers taking over the city, giving us a decent explanation. Here, there is no explanation and its all rushed, trying to fit Bebop, Rocksteady, Shredder, Krang, Casey Jones, April, the Turtles, Splinter, Baxter, Karai and Vernon into the story.

If they had a better plot and better writers, they couldve ended up with something like OT season 1 which despite having lots of characters and being the approximate length of oots in total, was very well written. Id even dare say the first film (which went through who-knows how many re-writes) was Better written than this one.

Candy Kappa 01-18-2017 12:15 PM

I am a bit surprised that there was no fighter jets taking off into the sunrise and military folks running about shouting orders and looking important. Maybe it was left on the cutting floor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1653687)
In the movie, it was stated that the technodromes atmosphere was toxic and only mutants like the turtles could stand it. Of course, that doesn't explain how Shredder was able to be in it or why the military didn't attack it from the outside.

Pretty certain Shredder's helmet was made to protect him, I vaguely remember Baxter said something about it.

FredWolfLeonardo 01-18-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Kappa (Post 1653692)
Pretty certain Shredder's helmet was made to protect him, I vaguely remember Baxter said something about it.

My bad. I guess that detail glossed over my head since I haven't seen the film in months. Little cool details like these get lost and forgotten for the viewers when the plot is rushed which is a shame because I thought oots handled almost everything better than the first film, only to fall short on the plot which ties everything else together.

IndigoErth 01-18-2017 12:46 PM

The Turtles got rid of the problem so quickly that the military probably just turned around and went home well before it got there.

One reason I almost wish there was a third, just to make them fix this and make Krang an actual threat, etc. Leaving it off so weak is annoying.

Good point about Shredder. Although even if his helmet was in some way made to protect him, what about when he first met Krang? No one knew he was going to end up there or that some evil alien had its eyes set on Earth. Hm. :ohwell:

Mostly the atmosphere thing was a weak and unnecessary reason why it had to be the Turtles to save the day, as if a reason is even needed. I couldn't buy that though... Mutants or not, you're still otherwise typical Earthlings when it comes to things like breathing oxygen. Magic ability to survive in other atmospheres... also annoying.

Galactus 01-18-2017 09:47 PM

I honestly think that after the first movie they actually got the message a military aesthetic didn't suit TMNT but instead went with the next best thing to satisfy Bay's hard on for authority figures; the Police Force. Casey is a cop, we have Laura Linney's character and the actor who plays the cop in the Avengers playing the cop from the Avengers.

The turtles themselves have police style walkie talkies permanently attached to them that not only do they never actually use but have other means of communication. The turtles even vaguely act more like cops, they are certainly the most crime fighter-y of any version and despite words like "family" and "brothers" being used a lot they act more like a crime fighting unit, in the end they are pretty much deputized. During Leo and Raph's argument I half expected Leo to shout "you're off the case".

To be honest while it wasn't my choice for an approach frankly a Fred Wolf inspired movie lends lends itself very well to Bay's style. A Techndrome ripping through NYC while tanks fire at it and jets fighters go at it, Rock Soldiers battling ground forces would have been at least visually engaging. Instead as soon as the Technodrome is finished assembling it de-assembles and floats away. Who the **** wants to see that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1653706)
The Turtles got rid of the problem so quickly that the military probably just turned around and went home well before it got there.

Once the turtles actually meet Kra(a)ng, sure but it took so damn long for the the Techndrome to assemble that it's hard to imagine that they didn't at least get the National Guard.

The whole Technodrome assembling slowly lego style is one of the most baffling choices in cinema history. I can only imagine that it was an attempt to make something visually reminiscent of the Avengers Chitauri battle but since they were on a budget they said "hey, instead of flying vehicles piloted by Rock Warriors it's floating metal pieces so no one has to fight".

Not to mention that this made what little plot there was pointless. While the 1980 show left it up to our imaginations how Shredder and Krang partnered up it did give us a solid motivation as to why; Krang needed Shredder to build him a body and Shredder wanted advanced alien tech in exchange. Here Kra(a)ng has a body and seems very capable and in the end I'm not sure why they needed the arc capacitor to make portals, if they were just planning to bring the Techndrome through in small pieces the portals they could already create seemed large enough.

It might have been better to show the portal opening slowly and growing larger and having Donatello techno babble about it becoming "stable enough to bring something large through. They could even send a few scout ships to keep the visuals they were after. That would have still given the turtles time to make their decision re: the purple mutagen and convince the police they were on the same team.