The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What's the latest movie you've seen? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=22730)

Cure 12-21-2007 05:16 PM

What's the latest movie you've seen?

Can someone sticky this, please? I know I like to watch a lotta movies and I wanna discuss them, but I'd feel silly making a whole new topic for each of them just so they can end up with a few responses. So is it cool if we talk about every movie we've watched here? I know some people (like myself and Spit) watch plenty of movies worth discussion. If stickyage isn't a good idea, though, I'd understand.

Anyway, I just got back from watching Sweeney Todd and got BLOWN away. This movie is not for everyone for the following reasons: very song heavy (only like 5 minutes between songs. Literally.), very gorey, and...

Spoiler:
...cannibalism and incest...

...but it was very good, nonetheless. The songs were catchy. It's funny cuz some of the songs that deal with darker matters have an upbeat tune. Also, the character interactions were interesting. It's not just about Sweeney Todd, it's about several different characters and how their stories intertwine. All in all, I'd recommend this to those who can tolerate the heavy themes and gore.

Spitfire 12-21-2007 05:32 PM

Last movies I watched were last night and they were "Blade 2" and "Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back". I wanted to have some fun so that was good.

Last movie I saw in theaters was "Beowulf" which I wasn't all to impressed with. I was a fan of the story somewhat and I didn't really like the changes. The visuals however were wonderful, I saw it in 3-D.

Last really good movie I watched in theaters was "No Country For Old Men" Which featured some Oscar worthy performances especially from the main villain who played a down right scary guy. The story was also great and I loved the ending. They took a big chance with the ending it worked out.

I'll end up seeing "Sweeney Todd" soon, tomorrow I'm going to see "I Am Legend"

cowabunga14 12-21-2007 05:45 PM

Watched Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb on DVD yesterday when I got home from school and I really liked it. I can't stop talking about and quoting it, which I guess is a good thing. If you're wanting to check out some satire and probably Kubrick's best work, go out and buy it.

In school, I've gotten the opportunities to watch bits and pieces of Ratatouille, Transformers, MirrorMask, and Unforgiven. They've all been good so far.

Mecha Cow 12-21-2007 05:47 PM

I agree with Spitfire on Beowulf; it was a piss-poor adaption and a pretty but ultimately bad movie.

Just watched Catch Me if You Can on DVD again. Fun movie, nice performance by DiCaprio.

I was going to see I Am Legend tonight but that ended up not happening. I hear it's pretty decent if you haven't read the book and since I haven't I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

*E* Cowabunga, you really should watch Unforgiven in its entirety; it's fantastic.

Roseangelo 12-21-2007 06:01 PM

I saw Pirates of the Caribbean 3 earlier this week for the first time. After being disappointed with #2, I found I liked this one quite a bit.

I've got Transformers for sometime this weekend.

Brodie 12-21-2007 06:10 PM

I guess Hatchet was the latest, and have to say, its probably the most fun I've had watching a movie lately. Its just how it was handled that was neat. Its trying to be a classic style horror flick, and it succeeds at that, for sure.

The tag line is "Its not a Remake, its not a sequel, and its not based on the Japanese one."

Peanut 12-21-2007 07:49 PM

I'm watching AVP on TV at this very moment! My friend keeps bugging me to watch it, so tonight he called me around 9 and told me it was on, so I switched it on to check it out. Other than that, the last movie I watched was The Simpsons movie. It was pretty good, it was like a couple decent episodes strung together.

Mr. Snackpants 12-21-2007 10:31 PM

GREAT THREAD!!!

I've been thinking a thread like this could be very useful, to talk about movies that probably don't need their own thread.

Last one I saw was I Am Legend. It was decent. I wanna see National Treasure 2 sometime soon.

Cure 12-21-2007 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecha Cow (Post 579298)
I agree with Spitfire on Beowulf; it was a piss-poor adaption and a pretty but ultimately bad movie.

I went to go see that in 3D, but even that wasn't enough to keep me from falling asleep.

cqb101 12-22-2007 11:04 AM

The Hellboy 2 trailer got me pumped so I went back and watched the first (which still holds up after all these viewings) and Pan's Labyrinth for some Del Toro goodness. Pan's was my favorite film of last year, I can't get enough of it.

12-22-2007 11:29 AM

For a movie in theaters, I saw I Am Legend. I don't even wanna talk about that movie anymore. Last night, Voltron and I watched Batman Begins on our friend's home theater ownage. It was unreal in HD.

raphael_is_cool 12-22-2007 11:58 AM

Last film I saw in the theatre was The Darjeeling Limited. It was okay (for a Wes Anderson film) but I would not see it again.

Spitfire 12-22-2007 02:11 PM

I just watched Hellboy last night to! It's great, good mix of action and humor. Del Toro hasn't failed me yet.

Slap-Happy 12-22-2007 02:51 PM

I just finished watching TMNT and Blades Of Glory

cqb101 12-22-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphael_is_cool (Post 579432)
Last film I saw in the theatre was The Darjeeling Limited. It was okay (for a Wes Anderson film) but I would not see it again.

Really? I loved it. Thought it was a big step up from The Life Aquatic(which I also loved).

Mecha Cow 12-22-2007 04:00 PM

Watching LotR: The Two Towers on TV right now. The weakest of the trilogy in my opinion, but still awesome.

raphael_is_cool 12-22-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cqb101 (Post 579483)
Really? I loved it. Thought it was a big step up from The Life Aquatic(which I also loved).

I'm just not a Wes Anderson fan. The only thing I admire is that he does his own thing, but there are plenty of better filmmakers and writers in that 'field'. He just retreads the same ground over and over; none of his characters stand out or resonate and he bludgeons you over the head with his 'themes'.

'Oh, I see! They were symbolically carrying baggage from family issues, and now they're free of it they literally get rid of their deceased father's luggage bags! Now I get it! Wes Anderson you are a genius!'

Venom 12-22-2007 04:43 PM

Last movie I saw at the theaters was "Transformers". Up next: "Cloverfield" :evilgrin:!

Mr. Snackpants 12-22-2007 05:45 PM

I watched the Simpsons Movie. Not a big fan of the show so I thought I'd hate it but it wasn't that bad, I enjoyed it.

Cure 12-22-2007 06:16 PM

I just saw Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. That movie is really funny, especially if you've seen Ray and Walk the Line. So many memorable parts in it, haha. I'd highly recommend it.

Brodie 12-22-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelangelo83 (Post 579496)
Last movie I saw at the theaters was "Transformers". Up next: "Cloverfield" :evilgrin:!

So a movie every 2 years or so? Congrats..

ToTheNines 12-22-2007 08:57 PM

I just watched the first TMNT. I'm way behind on my Christmas movies this year... I've only watched "A Christmas Story" and "Prancer" I'll probably watch "The Santa Clause" tonight, which means Christmas movie marathon for the next 2 days.

Venom 12-22-2007 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodie (Post 579525)
So a movie every 2 years or so? Congrats..

At the theaters, yeah....most I watch on DVD because I like all the extra stuff. I like my movie experience to be something really special, so this year I chose TMNT (undoubtedly!) and Transformers. I'm thinking about AVP:R but I *know* I'll be seeing Cloverfield just due to the fact I've followed the damn thing's since the teaser back in July! I like seeing big epic things on the big screen, while most other stuff I wait for it to arrive on DVD.

cqb101 12-22-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphael_is_cool (Post 579493)
I'm just not a Wes Anderson fan. The only thing I admire is that he does his own thing, but there are plenty of better filmmakers and writers in that 'field'. He just retreads the same ground over and over; none of his characters stand out or resonate and he bludgeons you over the head with his 'themes'.

'Oh, I see! They were symbolically carrying baggage from family issues, and now they're free of it they literally get rid of their deceased father's luggage bags! Now I get it! Wes Anderson you are a genius!'

Ah, that's understandable then. I love Wes Anderson personally. I love his subtle humor, it's a nice departure from all those Will Ferell/Ben Stiller/Owen Wilson/Etc. comedies that seem to come out so often. Wes Anderson definitely isn't for everyone, tho.

Roseangelo 12-22-2007 11:09 PM

Just saw Elf for the first time (it was on TV). Pretty good!

jeff the cheff 12-23-2007 12:59 AM

I just watched "Do the Right thing" last night. It was entertaining, it felt like a real day happening. At first I was disappointed at the end with the "riot" because I thought they were giving a simple, bad message, but the next day I thought about the movie more, and now I think I get it. It could be looked at a lot of different ways, but I think the movie was showing how real people act, and that in almost all cases in the movie, nobody "does the right thing." The people on both sides of the racism aren't completely innocent.

Barkworm 12-23-2007 01:54 AM

I saw the "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" remake last night and realized once again that I don't really like Tim Burton's work.

Spitfire 12-23-2007 03:10 AM

I watched two movies tonight

First up was "Thank You For Smoking" which I hadn't seen in awhile. I remember liking it but I didn't remember much from it. Hilarious movie, dark comedies were always my favorites. The M.O.D. Squad arguing over who kills the most people a year was the best.

Then I wanted to see something powerful, "Children Of Men" hit the spot. That movie grabs me and the cinematography is breathtaking. There's a scene towards the end that's one long shot of him running from terrorists and into a building being assaulted by the military. The birth scene is hands down the most realistic I've ever seen and it's very moving. I love the story, based off a book like "Thank You For Smoking" I seem to have some kind of fetish for movies based on novels. Maybe it's a sign I should read more.

Kunoichi_Haruko 12-23-2007 06:20 AM

Watched "Sweeney Todd" on Friday. Absolutely wonderful. Hey Barkworm, you may change your mind about Burton if you see this movie, though I may be wrong, seeing as I don't know what you don't like about his movies....

jeff the cheff 12-23-2007 09:57 AM

Based on the preview, I didn't really want to see Sweeny Todd, but I've heard a few people say its good so I guess I'll have to see it.

ToTheNines 12-23-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx (Post 579611)
Then I wanted to see something powerful, "Children Of Men" hit the spot. That movie grabs me and the cinematography is breathtaking. There's a scene towards the end that's one long shot of him running from terrorists and into a building being assaulted by the military. The birth scene is hands down the most realistic I've ever seen and it's very moving.

That movie is amazing, I think I'll watch that next.

cowabunga14 12-23-2007 03:22 PM

On Friday night, I started out with an exploitation or grindhouse kinda film called Werewolves on Wheels. I thought it was alright and I liked the concept. Then, after that, on the same night, I watched a movie on IFC called Nightwatch, starring Ewan McGregor and Josh Brolin. It kept me interested and kinda exceeded my expectations.

Last night, I watched a silent horror film called Haxan. The fact that it dealt with the medieval times kept me intrigued.

Roseangelo 12-23-2007 11:47 PM

Transformers - I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'm not a fan of the series to be able to tear it apart in any regard.

jeff the cheff 12-24-2007 01:08 AM

I just watched Sour Grapes and Eastern Promises tonight. Sour Grapes was an OK comedy, the premise was funny and I laughed at some of the situations, they were very Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusiasm-esque (this movie was made by Larry David). It really just seemed like a sitcom episode though. Eastern Promises was a strong recommendation but I ended up just liking it and not loving it. There was a good story and one great action scene but in the end its not something that I will ever have a really strong desire to see again.

Mr. Snackpants 12-25-2007 09:53 PM

Ok so how many times did everyone watch "A Christmas Story"?

I went 2 times all the way through and the bits and pieces added up to probably 3 more viewings.

cqb101 12-25-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Snackpants (Post 580189)
Ok so how many times did everyone watch "A Christmas Story"?

I went 2 times all the way through and the bits and pieces added up to probably 3 more viewings.

I never watched it all the way through, but all the bits and pieces added up to at least 2 viewings. I had it on the entire night while I was sleeping.

Brodie 12-25-2007 10:19 PM

I saw AVP2 tonight....Man, was it terrible.

The creature stuff was awesome. But the script and humans were ****ing bad.

cowabunga14 12-26-2007 01:39 PM

Watched a little horror film on Sunday evening and it was alright. The fact that it was an anthology kinda reminded me of Creepshow. Later that night, I watched Freejack with my dad and it was pretty good. I liked the action and the funny bits.

Later that night, I watched Freejack with my dad and it was pretty good. I liked the action and the funny bits.

Not technically a movie, but I watched the MST3K version of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians on Christmas Eve and it looks like I've started a new tradition. On the same night, I watched Showdown at Area 51 recorded off the Sci Fi channel and it was okay. Other than that, nothing ground-breaking.

Last night, I watched Killer Klowns from Outer Space and I enjoyed it. In terms of being a B movie, it was right up there, I thought, with The Toxic Avenger.

Venom 12-26-2007 02:57 PM

Haha, Showdown was so bad it was awesome! The blue chick from Farscape looks pretty good as a human, too! I remember the original working title was Alien vs. Alien. My fave Sci-Fi Channel movies ever are "Tin Man" and "Dog Soldiers".

Oh, and keeping with the topic: I watched Underdog last night! It exceeded my expectations be far being really funny and enjoyable! :D

cqb101 12-26-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelangelo83 (Post 580286)
Haha, Showdown was so bad it was awesome! The blue chick from Farscape looks pretty good as a human, too! I remember the original working title was Alien vs. Alien. My fave Sci-Fi Channel movies ever are "Tin Man" and "Dog Soldiers".

Oh, and keeping with the topic: I watched Underdog last night! It exceeded my expectations be far being really funny and enjoyable! :D

Dog Soldiers isn't a sci fi film. It's a british film that had it's American premiere on sci fi.