The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   General TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Who created which characters? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=49964)

neatoman 11-03-2014 07:42 AM

Who created which characters?

So something that bugs me a bit about TMNT, is that I don't know who created which characters. We all know that most of the central characters are created by Peter and Kevin with some help from Jim, Ryan and Steve, but other than that it's hard to tell.

A lot of this comes from the fact that many of the TMNT characters were created for a toyline of which I don't know how to track down who the designers of which toys were. Another problem is that a lot of others were created for TV shows and it can be a little difficult to tell when the characters were intended to show up, if they were a collaboration early on with a lot of planneing or just some character created by a writer for a single episode who wound up in more episodes than intended.

To some people this won't matter at all but to me it's kind of important to who the creator of a character is.

So who knows to whom I should credit some fuzzier character creation to?

Powder 11-03-2014 11:51 AM

Jim Lawson created Rat King, Steve Lavigne created Sgt. Bananas, Ryan Brown created Leatherhead, these are just some off the top of my head credits... Are there specific characters you want to know the fathers of? I could try to help.

neatoman 11-03-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1373916)
Jim Lawson created Rat King, Steve Lavigne created Sgt. Bananas, Ryan Brown created Leatherhead, these are just some off the top of my head credits... Are there specific characters you want to know the fathers of? I could try to help.

Let's see, here's a couple I'm curious about:

Slash
Metalhead
Chrome Dome
Hun
Bishop
Angel

neatoman 01-29-2015 10:53 AM

I checked Slash's Wikipedia article, it claims Kevin Eastman created Slash but offers no source.

pennydreadful 01-29-2015 04:02 PM

I was going to say - I'm sure Professor Powder can help you out with this. :tlol: Dude knows pretty much all there is to know about such things!

CyberCubed 01-29-2015 05:23 PM

David Wise created Krang.

PL drew the initial concepts for Bebop and Rocksteady. He also created Mutagen Man.

cloud 01-29-2015 09:03 PM

Just wondering, any of you guys follow Peter Laird's TMNT blog?
Once in a while he does a q&a session with fans. You might want to try asking him about some characters. He seems to have kept a lot of his notes.
I think it was mentioned that back then Playmates has asked the Mirage staff to submit ideas for characters to see if they can incorporate them to the toyline. So the Mirage crew send in a lot of character designs. So I'm guessing most of the credits will be the Mirage folks.
I'm not 100% sure but Hun, Bishop were original creations in the 2k3 show. Angel was from the vol1 comics.

MrPliggins 01-29-2015 11:21 PM

Which issue of vol. 1 was Angel in? I don't remember ever seeing her until the 2k3 series.

Xav 01-29-2015 11:59 PM

I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure she doesn't.

neatoman 01-30-2015 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1413352)

That is one of the credits I will allow that man to have (there's no real evidence to the contrary like so many of his other claims). But who designed the character?

snake 01-30-2015 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPliggins (Post 1413500)
Which issue of vol. 1 was Angel in? I don't remember ever seeing her until the 2k3 series.

None. She was in the Image comics though.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 01-30-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1413352)

PL drew the initial concepts for Bebop and Rocksteady. He also created Mutagen Man.

I know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiqSuhjtSTQ

Bry 01-30-2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1413545)
That is one of the credits I will allow that man to have (there's no real evidence to the contrary like so many of his other claims). But who designed the character?

Not sure who designed him, but the overall visual idea was clearly/obviously based on the Utroms. (So even though Wise deserves his credit for the creation of Krang, it's still not a wholly original one.)

Xav 01-30-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snake (Post 1413581)
None. She was in the Image comics though.

No she wasn't. I mean yeah there was a kunoichi named Angel, but that hardly counts as being the same character.

CyberCubed 01-30-2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bry (Post 1413650)
Not sure who designed him, but the overall visual idea was clearly/obviously based on the Utroms. (So even though Wise deserves his credit for the creation of Krang, it's still not a wholly original one.)

Krang's design is a bit different than the Mirage Utroms. Longer tentacles for arms, and Krang's android body is very different than an Utrom suit other than using the stomach cavity.

Bry 01-30-2015 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1413789)
Krang's design is a bit different than the Mirage Utroms. Longer tentacles for arms, and Krang's android body is very different than an Utrom suit other than using the stomach cavity.

Well, yes, it's different, but it's still a pink, brain-like alien with tentacles that sits in the stomach cavity of a robot body. That's what I meant: visually it's not wholly "original," as it's a redesign (though a significant one) of the Utroms. Not downplaying Wise for his part in it - the personality and character are very different, but the design/concept was based on the Utroms.

neatoman 01-31-2015 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1413789)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bry (Post 1413792)
Well, yes, it's different, but it's still a pink, brain-like alien with tentacles that sits in the stomach cavity of a robot body. That's what I meant: visually it's not wholly "original," as it's a redesign (though a significant one) of the Utroms. Not downplaying Wise for his part in it - the personality and character are very different, but the design/concept was based on the Utroms.

What was your argument CyberCubed? That the similarities were coincidental? I really doubt that.

snake 01-31-2015 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xav (Post 1413664)
No she wasn't. I mean yeah there was a kunoichi named Angel, but that hardly counts as being the same character.

You're right. I forgot the image comics were published in 96.

neatoman 01-31-2015 10:09 AM

So here's a question, who created Hun?

The credit of character designer of the 4Kids show goes to Adrian M. Barrios, here's some links to his stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Chromaticsketches/videos
http://captainluckypants.deviantart.com/
http://adrianbarrios.blogspot.se/

So I'm assuming he designed Hun but I'd still be interested in knowing who came up with the idea. Laird claims he was not initially impressed with the character, so I think that means we can rule him out. This means it might fall one or more of the writers from season 1, Michael Ryan, Marty Isenberg, Eric Luke and Greg Johnson. Ajit "AJ" Jothikumar and Chuck Patton are credited for "Series Character Development". Lloyd Goldfine is of course also a candidate for Hun's co-creator.

So what we have here is a little frustrating to figure out, we have 1 (probable) designer and 7 others who might have been involved with the creation of the character...

cryan 02-04-2015 05:28 PM

I really would like to know who created Mona Lisa. The Writer of that episode must have had a lot of fun with that character.