The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Star Wars Episode 8 (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54544)

Andrew NDB 04-24-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1756695)
Planet of the Apes,

Two reboots so far, yes.

Quote:

Blade Runner,
Sequel/revival.

Quote:

Mad Maxx
Sequel/revival.

Quote:

TMNT has had at least two successful reboots so far under Viacom, (IDW and Nick 2012)
Three reboots: the PD movies rebooted the movies, TMNT 2012 rebooted the 4Kids show, and Rise of the TMNT rebooted TMNT 2012.

IDW didn't "reboot" anything. While unlikely, TMNT Vol. 4, #33 could come out tomorrow. IDW didn't "end" volume 4, nor does IDW even get to do that. IDW is it's own thing, same as Archie was during vol. 1 of Mirage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1756714)
They're still rebooted franchises

Revived franchises. Nothing was rebooted about them. Same story, all history intact. Amount of time between sequels = irrelevant. If "Shrek 5" comes out next year, that is not a reboot... that's just "Shrek 5." No one can say "The Color of Money" rebooted "The Hustler," or that "Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" rebooted the Indiana Jones series. That's stupid. That's using the word wrong.

Vegita-San 04-24-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumac (Post 1756934)
I'd say it's not much political agenda, as much marketing agenda. Lefties are popular now (by "virtue" of being loud and scandalous, like kids) and it's a fad to pander to them to build a "progressive image" for the company and make good word of mouth for their products..

I would almost agree with this, except for the fact that there really ARE some people who believe that kind of agenda and image.

a few are even on here, who I have no doubt are 100% genuine in what they believe, and are not faking it.

Hollywood is so far up it's own butt....even if they started faking it...at one point somewhere it switched to full on belief. and they no longer see that what they are trying to do is hurting what they are trying to do.

Sumac 04-24-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegita-San (Post 1756943)
Hollywood is so far up it's own butt....even if they started faking it...at one point somewhere it switched to full on belief. and they no longer see that what they are trying to do is hurting what they are trying to do.

If one wears mask long enough, then mask can merge with their face.

Andrew NDB 04-25-2018 10:01 AM

Someone I respect... "encapsulated" "The Last Jedi" in I think a pretty dead-on way. Here it is:

"Almost nothing happens in 'Last Jedi' of any consequence.

The bulk of the plot is the cinema's slowest car chase (with plot holes galore.)

Characters go off to find the ONE guy who can hack a computer...except they don't, and find someone else who is conveniently there and can get them out of a prison they land in because they're crap at parking.

A bad guy who is never set up intelligently gets killed.

A character we've been waiting years to see dies (in a way that makes Padme's death look almost intelligent.)

The rebels leave one base to go to another...which they then leave.

There's a climactic fight...in which not one blow is landed.

There's the Leia Poppins moment which is done with such incompetence, you forgive ever harsh thing you ever said about JarJar.

Worst Star Wars Movie. Period."

Vegita-San 04-25-2018 10:06 AM

he CLEARLY hates women and wants them to fail. doesn't anyone see that?


----this is sarcasm. google it ---

CyberCubed 04-25-2018 10:11 AM

You can say the same thing for any movie.

newfan 04-25-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1757104)
Someone I respect... "encapsulated" "The Last Jedi" in I think a pretty dead-on way. Here it is:

"Almost nothing happens in 'Last Jedi' of any consequence.

The bulk of the plot is the cinema's slowest car chase (with plot holes galore.)

Characters go off to find the ONE guy who can hack a computer...except they don't, and find someone else who is conveniently there and can get them out of a prison they land in because they're crap at parking.

A bad guy who is never set up intelligently gets killed.

A character we've been waiting years to see dies (in a way that makes Padme's death look almost intelligent.)

The rebels leave one base to go to another...which they then leave.

There's a climactic fight...in which not one blow is landed.

There's the Leia Poppins moment which is done with such incompetence, you forgive ever harsh thing you ever said about JarJar.

Worst Star Wars Movie. Period."

Yeah there are a few point there. Andrew you had said you liked it originally, or enjoyed it, though you had issues with it, are you liking it less over time or much them same? So you enjoyed it but there are still all the issues?

sdp 04-25-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1756861)
I'm confused, if the new movies cut out all the politics, then what's left to "rub people the wrong way" and how did they "go about it wrong?"
Or is it not political if there isn't a council meeting of some sort?

The original trilogy presented a space opera that had echos of the last great world war, and was made by a generation of people dealing with the US involvement in Vietnam. A far more murky endeavor than WWII.

The Prequels dealt with the political wheeling and dealings that brought us the rise of an authoritarian regime, by echoing the nation building going on in the middle east.

Where as the most current movies touch upon the fact that even if you defeat a group that most would agree are the personification of evil, that doesn't mean they're eradicated from the earth.

Taking down the Emperor didn't destroy either his methods or his philosophies, all it did was throw the universe into an intermediate period of chaos where those with means could take advantage of the power vacuum.

Instead of old white dudes running things with a supremacist bent, now we've got young white dudes running things with a supremacist bent.

And folks are making money hedging their bets on which ever side will come out victor...all while making a profit by selling arms.

As with many works of fiction you're trying too hard to look at things that aren't there. It's Space Fantasy at its core, there's plenty of political heavy fiction if you prefer, Star Wars isn't it and I don't know why you keep bringing it up, I already mentioned it's not what makes the new movies bad (or good). I didn't even notice the feminist agenda until pointed out later, I was too mad about everything else they had done to care.

Quote:

You didn't like it. It didn't work for you.

than someone who hated it because...Rey's elbows were too pointy for their taste.
It's more of a "You liked it. It worked for you." And that's cool. The majority didn't.

But see, your second point, people didn't dislike the movie because of their anti-feminist agenda as you want to imply with that comment. I'm sure some didn't because of that very reason, but just like those who like it because of that agenda, they're but a minority in the opinions of the film.

plastroncafe 04-25-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1757121)
As with many works of fiction you're trying too hard to look at things that aren't there. It's Space Fantasy at its core, there's plenty of political heavy fiction if you prefer, Star Wars isn't it and I don't know why you keep bringing it up, I already mentioned it's not what makes the new movies bad (or good). I didn't even notice the feminist agenda until pointed out later, I was too mad about everything else they had done to care.

Star Wars most certainly IS it.
Popular culture need not be overt in its political affiliations to be political.
Popular culture holds up a mirror to the social norms and conventions of the day.

Maybe you don't see that because someone hasn't pointed it out to you yet?

Quote:

It's more of a "You liked it. It worked for you." And that's cool. The majority didn't.
On the one hand, uh...okay?
On the other, are we sure about that majority?

Quote:

But see, your second point, people didn't dislike the movie because of their anti-feminist agenda as you want to imply with that comment. I'm sure some didn't because of that very reason, but just like those who like it because of that agenda, they're but a minority in the opinions of the film.
That's not what my second point was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1756861)
But as I've said: I'm no less a fan of this franchise for enjoying the parts of this movie, than someone who hated it because...Rey's elbows were too pointy for their taste.

Someone was used specifically to indicate that a person who holds that opinion about Rey's elbows is a non-majority member.
And we both agree that there are likely people out there who hold that opinion.

My second point was merely that I'm not less of a fan of this movie because I enjoyed part of it, just like that other Someone isn't any less of a fan for their objectification of Rey.

Andrew NDB 04-25-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1757129)
On the one hand, uh...okay?
On the other, are we sure about that majority?

http://www.highlander-community.com/rotten.jpg

Pretty sure.

Vegita-San 04-25-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1757131)

I thought it was confirmed those where bots? :D:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol::trolleye::trolleye:

Andrew NDB 07-24-2018 12:10 AM

lol... Rian Johnson deletes 20,000 tweets. Can't say that I blame him, though.

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/rian-...deletes-tweets

Vegita-San 07-24-2018 01:41 AM

getting ready to move on from star wars and doesn't want to look like a KK crazy?

Shark_Blade 07-24-2018 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1770937)
lol... Rian Johnson deletes 20,000 tweets. Can't say that I blame him, though.

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/rian-...deletes-tweets

I pity the intern/PA hired to delete those tweets.

plastroncafe 07-24-2018 07:50 AM

There's an app for that.

Andrew NDB 08-27-2018 04:26 PM

Oscar Isaac on "The Last Jedi"'s negative reactions:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/oscar-is...jedi-reaction/

Basically, "You don't like it? Go out and make your own movie, then!"

Vegita-San 08-27-2018 04:32 PM

that was the safest, blandest, whitest answer I think i've ever seen.
delivered in a non confrontational way.

I guess it's kind of refreshing..but it also really shoes there's no passion for what he does in these movies, I think. either that, or he's just a really bland and boring interview.

Andrew NDB 08-27-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegita-San (Post 1775186)
that was the safest, blandest, whitest answer I think i've ever seen.
delivered in a non confrontational way.

I guess it's kind of refreshing..but it also really shoes there's no passion for what he does in these movies, I think. either that, or he's just a really bland and boring interview.

Is that what you got out of it? Maybe it's just me, but I read it very passive aggressive. Like, "Don't like my movie? Go make your own multi-million dollar movie and see how you do!"

Vegita-San 08-27-2018 05:22 PM

i didn't see it phrased in an insulting way. I thought he went out of his way to try and make it sound middle of the road. not really staying on one side or the other.

Sumac 08-28-2018 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1775182)
Oscar Isaac on "The Last Jedi"'s negative reactions:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/oscar-is...jedi-reaction/

Basically, "You don't like it? Go out and make your own movie, then!"

What a dimwit.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.