The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Rise of the TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Apparently Nick Toons Holland pulled the plug. (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=62198)

TommyT 02-04-2020 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1834210)
Well that would be ironic. Given their aim of targeting a new generation of kids. Only have themselves to blame if they failed on that front.

Obviously, I agree with you. They think we’re a bunch of fools who don’t appreciate their amazing art. Big egos.

Chris 02-05-2020 05:23 AM

If Nick did end up selling to DC it may be good for older fans.

After the success of Joker, and if Birds of Prey does well, then WB may be open to a more adult/Mirage inspired movie. The flip side of that is that DC's films can be very hit or miss and WB is notoriously bad at taking a risk unless others have already proved it can work. And if it fails that will likely be it until a director approaches them with a vision they like (see Superman).

Even if they didn't do that for the big screen there's a very big chance we'd get them in animated form with direct to DVD movies. This is the most exciting prospect of a sale to DC/WB.

New animated series would be almost certain. Tone depends if they put in on Cartoon Network or DC Universe (or HBOMax since DC Universe seems to be dying).

Best guess would be we'd get a series aimed at kids for CN and then some direct to DVD animated movies aimed at older fans (hopefully Mirage or IDW inspired). Film I could see going either way. I imagine they'd try and find a middle ground, ideally like the first film but that may be wishful thinking.

Given the two films Paramount put out and the rapid decline of Rise, this would almost certainly be an improvement. Not that there's anything stopping Nick doing animated films aimed at older fans, or the next movies and cartoons having a better creative direction.

The biggest loser would be the comics. You would never get a run like IDW's over at DC. Hopefully they'd keep the TMNT as their own separate universe if it did happen. The Batman crossovers were fun but I don't need the TMNT as part of the Teen Titans on a regular basis. And I just don't want IDW's run cut short.

SaurusX 02-05-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer (Post 1834186)
Unless DC would pay hefty amounts of money but even that seems farfetched for the time being.

DC is circling the drain as it is. Mommy AT&T could very well pull the plug on THEM at any moment, so they're busy trying to justify their own existence through their current IP's (of which they have not been doing a great job). I doubt DC has the cash or inclination to take a risk on something different right now.

CyberCubed 02-05-2020 08:29 AM

There’s very likely a sequel to the Batman/TMNT crossover movie being made. But beyond that likely nothing else. The comic crossovers with Batman are done too with the most recent one pretty much wrapping everything up and DC calling it the conclusion of the trilogy.

PApagreg 02-05-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1834135)
Brutal honesty, right there.

And that's part of its problem to begin with (aside from the detested ideas/changes it made), is that this just feels like a series that hasn't really known what it actually wants to be.

You want to be a series that focuses on one-shot episodes, fine, but don't tease an arc that you're only going to spend 10% of the series on; instead maybe just stick to one-shots that are a full half hour long so there is time enough for something that was worth watching.

It knows exactly what it wants to be, its a light hearted action show with some moments of continuity similar to something like KND or Adventure Time also its definitely more than 10% I know you're probably exaggerating though, another thing is that the run time is fine for this series I mean do you really want 22 minutes of "Mind Meld" or "Todd Scouts" not every episode needs to be half an hour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1834210)
Well that would be ironic. Given their aim of targeting a new generation of kids. Only have themselves to blame if they failed on that front.)

Not really in terms of views Rise did good but Nick is known for treating their IPs bad if it doesn't meet with the "Sponge" standard.

lonewarrior20 02-05-2020 09:10 AM

I wonder how insane tmnt vs teen titans go would be. You know they'd make it if dc did buy them.

AquaParade 02-05-2020 09:49 AM

Definitely a thread-worthy topic if anyone can vouch for TommyT.

Again, no offense Tommy, you know how it goes. How much info can you give regarding your source?

IndigoErth 02-05-2020 09:53 AM

Oh nothing is ever going to meet or exceed the "Sponge standard," even if a show is better. That just can't be allowed. At least not until Nick finally moves on from it... in like 50 years.

Vicky82 02-05-2020 01:02 PM

If DC does buy TMNT.

Will IDW will able to continue the comic book series
I want TMNT to be there own thing, not have a crossover with all the DC characters all the time, only do it for specials.
Hopefully a mature animated series/animated movie DVD specials or a mature live action series
A decent Live action movie, hopefully Paramount/Platinum Dunes won't be involved.

IndigoErth 02-05-2020 01:35 PM

A film company other than Platinum Dunes would be a plus at least.

Though I'd worry about the Turtles getting lost in a sea of other characters should a company like DC ever buy them. With the little bit of a "friendship" they seem to have developed, I've wondered if DC might one day take them on, but I'd rather see them remain as just guest characters who show up to play in DC products now and then. Funner that way. I'd rather the Turtles remained their own thing detached from the other superhero brands and had the freedom to go play in crossovers with whoever "they" want sometimes.

But if our boys can't get much in the way of decent live action films of their own, it would be cool to see them get to join in a DC one.

Side note, I sort of envy the people who may see them enter public domain someday, belonging to no one and everyone and free for anyone to create works (beyond just fan stuff). (Though an expired copyright might mean they'd been forgotten so I guess that's got a down side.)

LeotheLateBloomer 02-05-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PApagreg (Post 1834253)
do you really want 22 minutes of "Mind Meld" or "Todd Scouts"

Not at all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky82 (Post 1834330)
I want TMNT to be there own thing, not have a crossover with all the DC characters all the time, only do it for specials.
Hopefully a mature animated series/animated movie DVD specials or a mature live action series
A decent Live action movie, hopefully Paramount/Platinum Dunes won't be involved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1834333)
A film company other than Platinum Dunes would be a plus at least.

Though I'd worry about the Turtles getting lost in a sea of other characters should a company like DC ever buy them. With the little bit of a "friendship" they seem to have developed, I've wondered if DC might one day take them on, but I'd rather see them remain as just guest characters who show up to play in DC products now and then. Funner that way. I'd rather the Turtles remained their own thing detached from the other superhero brands and had the freedom to go play in crossovers with whoever "they" want sometimes.

But if our boys can't get much in the way of decent live action films of their own, it would be cool to see them get to join in a DC one.

Side note, I sort of envy the people who may see them enter public domain someday, belonging to no one and everyone and free for anyone to create works (beyond just fan stuff). (Though an expired copyright might mean they'd been forgotten so I guess that's got a down side.)

Pretty much agree with both of these.

CyberCubed 02-05-2020 08:16 PM

DC is not going to buy TMNT. And yes, the IDW comic would 100% be canceled in the unlikely event it happened, with DC making their own TMNT universe.

TommyT 02-05-2020 09:46 PM

If you want real gossip, the latest is that DC itself may fold into Disney, with a Merger of DC and Marvel.

Sounds absurd, but I've heard this twice in the last two weeks. Hard to imagine, but it's apparently only DC, and their IP's.

I'll share more if I hear it.

FredWolfLeonardo 02-06-2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 1834432)
If you want real gossip, the latest is that DC itself may fold into Disney, with a Merger of DC and Marvel.

Sounds absurd, but I've heard this twice in the last two weeks. Hard to imagine, but it's apparently only DC, and their IP's.

I'll share more if I hear it.

Who do you think you are, the Vergeben of the Technodrome?

TommyT 02-06-2020 01:34 AM

I have inside dirt, you want me to keep it to myself?

Would love to know if anyone else has heard about this acquisition.
The firs person who told me, it slipped out.

Chris 02-06-2020 03:20 AM

Sorry TommyT, this is nothing against you personally but I just can't see that as credible.

Viacom selling TMNT to AT&T/WB/DC is questionable but I could at least see it in as an out there possibility. Disney buying DC just isn't happening. Even if AT&T/WB are (currently) terrible at exploiting them, they know the DC IPs are a goldmine. They screwed up putting Snyder in charge but then they turned round and made a billion each on Aquaman and Joker. Just yesterday they announced that DC Films would be making movies for HBOMax. They're not going to giftwrap them and sell them to the competition. Plus I'm no legal expert but I'm sure monopoly laws would likely come into play as well if DC and Marvel were under one roof.

CyberCubed 02-06-2020 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1834446)
Who do you think you are, the Vergeben of the Technodrome?

I'm still waiting for Skull Kid and Dixie Kong. Any day now.

LeotheLateBloomer 02-06-2020 08:46 AM

I'd much rather other comic companies like Dark Horse, Image, Valiant, etc. buy the rights if Viacom were to sell it.

Leo656 02-06-2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer (Post 1834523)
I'd much rather other comic companies like Dark Horse, Image, Valiant, etc. buy the rights if Viacom were to sell it.

If they ALL pooled their money, they might have a shot at it. Otherwise I don't see it.

If Nick paid like $60 million then I can't see them letting go of it for much less. I mean if anything they've increased the dollars-and-cents value of the brand over what it was ten years ago, even if the overall reputation has taken a hit. I'd have to check but I'm almost positive that the TMNT brand has brought in more profits between 2010 and 2020 than it did between 2000 and 2010, so if anything Nick would probably ask for more than what they paid, citing how they "saved" it by making it more profitable even if critical reception has been mixed.

I don't see Dark Horse or the others having that kinda cash sitting around. They also wouldn't have the luxury of an entire multimedia empire like Nick; what's their track record with launching, managing and sustaining TV shows, movies, and toys on the level of what Nick has done with TMNT? Comic books are one thing, but TMNT is a "brand" that has a lot of moving parts in other areas; that leaves Nick, Disney/Marvel, and DC/WB as the only ones truly fit to be "caretakers" on the level of what would be required.

That's how I see it, anyway.

IndigoErth 02-06-2020 11:56 AM

With their acquiring CBS though, and striking up deals with Netflix, it would be foolish of Viacom to just want to drop them and sell that soon anyhow without even bothering to test the waters first on an older market and see if that might do it for them.