The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   The Flat Earth Movement (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59179)

ProphetofGanja 11-25-2017 08:47 PM

The Flat Earth Movement

I can't believe this is really a point of debate in this day and age, but it is.

This guy wants to launch himself into the sky in a homemade rocket to somehow prove that the Earth is flat:
Flat Earth Researcher Told He Can't Blast Himself Into The Sky at 500 MPH

There was even a whole convention about this recently:
A Fascinating Look Inside the First Flat Earth International Conference in Raleigh, North Carolina

Spike Spiegel 11-25-2017 08:55 PM

Flat Earth..."researcher"?

https://i.giphy.com/media/l4Ki2obCyAQS5WhFe/giphy.webp

Utrommaniac 11-25-2017 09:36 PM

I had a good laugh at the homemade rocket.

Dude, you 'gon die before you can even make the distance to see the Earth's curvature.

Mayhem 11-26-2017 04:06 AM

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qim...beb740f5d135-c

AT-Man 11-26-2017 09:39 AM

I believe flat-earthers are just internet trolls and media believes anything that's on the internet.

plastroncafe 11-26-2017 09:55 AM

I'd be inclined to agree, save for the fact that a very good friend of mine met a couple in Brooklyn.

sdp 11-26-2017 12:05 PM

If the earth isn't flat why does the Earth Turtle story exist in China, India and North America before they ever had any contact?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/be/e9...1071217602.jpg

CyberCubed 11-26-2017 12:07 PM

Aren't most of them religious nuts too? Like the ones who believe Earth began with Adam and Eve so humans co-existed with dinosaurs like Fred Flintstone or something.

FredWolfLeonardo 11-26-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1731161)
Aren't most of them religious nuts too? Like the ones who believe Earth began with Adam and Eve so humans co-existed with dinosaurs like Fred Flintstone or something.

No, not at all.

Almost all Young Earth Creationists are not flat earthers.

People believed the earth was round as early as Aristotle, its a myth that flat earthers dominated public opinion before the enlightenment era.

Katie 11-26-2017 12:57 PM

I feel like most of them are just crazy conspiracy theorist types. Like this rocket guy thinks all the astronauts are freemasons and the government deep state is controlling science.

Nevermind that they knew the earth was round way before the idea of government deep state existed.

IndigoErth 11-26-2017 01:31 PM

Hate to say it, but if people believing stuff like this in the 21st century despite clear, easy evidence to the contrary, want to launch themselves in rockets... why stop them? :trazz:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1731160)
If the earth isn't flat why does the Earth Turtle story exist in China, India and North America before they ever had any contact?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/be/e9...1071217602.jpg

Hm... given the very old genetic ties between some early DNA of North America and Asia, maybe it's a story far older than we realize?

MsMarvelDuckie 11-26-2017 02:23 PM

Indeed. Tribal creation myths involving totem animals predate every other form of religion. That a turtle would be one of them is hardly surprising.

Sumac 11-26-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utrommaniac (Post 1731124)
I had a good laugh at the homemade rocket.

Dude, you 'gon die before you can even make the distance to see the Earth's curvature.

This dude, actually have already flew on his own previous rocket.
Despite being puzzled by sheer idiocy of situation, I admire his bravery and desire to go out and get prove himself, which makes him much more, than most of those "arm-chair" conspirologists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1731160)

Because all of the human culture developed from the same source?

Which obviously was Atlantis.:twink:

Ninjinister 11-26-2017 02:40 PM

The part that confuses me is, what does the rest of the world have to gain by saying the world isn't flat, if it is supposed to actually be flat? Like thousands of years of everyone from scientists to laymen saying "the Earth is not flat" are just doing it to f**k with people?

Sumac 11-26-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1731193)
The part that confuses me is, what does the rest of the world have to gain by saying the world isn't flat, if it is supposed to actually be flat? Like thousands of years of everyone from scientists to laymen saying "the Earth is not flat" are just doing it to f**k with people?

The same thing that did not stop religions: people will believe what they want to, regardless of what other people saying.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 11-26-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1731165)
No, not at all.

Almost all Young Earth Creationists are not flat earthers.

People believed the earth was round as early as Aristotle, its a myth that flat earthers dominated public opinion before the enlightenment era.

The myth says it was until Christopher Columbus (1492), not as late as the Enlightenment era (18th century).

IndigoErth 11-26-2017 02:57 PM

Remembered hearing something about this article (or related articles) a bit ago and had to go find it. Probably relevant:
http://www.businessinsider.com/belie...special-2017-9

Andrew NDB 11-26-2017 05:49 PM

10% uneducated paranoid/conspiracy theory types... 90% internet trolls.

Prowler 11-26-2017 05:52 PM

Well there's something I've never thought I'd see in here. A thread about the Flat Earth Society :lol:

...I mean, what is even there to discuss here? It's a fact that the Earth isn't flat. So really, what compels someone to believe it is? I could see an illiterate person living in a village in a non-developed country believing that... but people in USA and Europe believing the Earth is flat in 2017?! :lol:

ProphetofGanja 11-26-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayhem (Post 1731138)

Saw that on Facebook, laughed my ass off :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AT-Man (Post 1731146)
I believe flat-earthers are just internet trolls and media believes anything that's on the internet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1731222)
10% uneducated paranoid/conspiracy theory types... 90% internet trolls.

Unfortunately I think the ratio of actual believers to plain old trolls is probably a lot higher. I started this thread because I think it ties into the whole trend of FAKE NEWS that has encouraged people to deny any truths they find unpleasant or inconvenient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1731193)

Well according to this guy who was on an episode of The Joe Rogan Show, it's because if we think we're on a ball drifting through space, then we're more inclined to work and contribute to the economy?

Quote:

Watch Joe Rogan Argue About Whether or Not the Earth Is Round
This actually happened.

Nicholas Deleon
Apr 19 2017, 10:45am

Joe Rogan is an angel put here to lead us to salvation.

Rogan, host of the impossibly popular Joe Rogan Experience podcast, spent nearly an hour on the April 18th episode verbally jousting with frequent guest Eddie Bravo about whether or not Earth is flat. An hour! At one point Bravo, a third degree black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and conspiracy theory connoisseur, proffered the theory that "globalists," including NASA and the European Space Agency, aided by their godless acolytes in the mainstream media (MSM), had schemed together to perpetuate the idea that the Earth is round in order to enslave mankind.

A brief excerpt of their exchange:

Rogan: "Why not indulge the full realm of possibilities and not cling to the conspiracy every single time?"
Bravo: "No. No. NASA can get pictures—they've been doing CGI composites this whole time…"
Rogan: "Please answer my question. Forget about stating what NASA does. Please answer my question. Why do you always go toward the conspiracy? Why do you never consider the possibility…"
Bravo: "Too many lies. Too many lies."
Rogan: "But Eddie they're not the same people."
Bravo: "It's all the same."
Rogan: "So everybody's lying?"
Bravo: "Yes. It's a global thing. They're all in on it."

Bravo, who repeatedly claimed to be "crazy" throughout the exchange to diffuse Rogan's counter-arguments, suggested that people are more easily controlled if they believe they're standing on a "ball" as opposed to a flat surface.

"You're on a ball," he said. "You're nowhere. Don't try to go anywhere. Just stay there and work."

The Earth, of course, is round, perhaps most famously confirmed by Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan, whose crew successfully circumnavigated the world on a voyage between 1519 and 1522. (Magellan himself died before completing the voyage.) Nevertheless, stories abound of so-called "flat Earth" proponents: In June 2016, an argument between a Canadian father and his son's girlfriend, who believed the Earth is flat, grew so heated that a fire broke out after a propane canister was flung into a nearby hearth. Several months earlier, in January 2016, celebrity scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson got into a "Twitter battle" with a rapper, B.o.B., over whether or not the Earth was flat.

"If you want to think the world is flat, go right ahead," deGrasse Tyson later said on The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore. "But if you think the world is flat and you have influence over others, as with successful rappers, or even presidential candidates, then being wrong becomes being harmful to the health, the wealth, and the security of our citizenry."

Motherboard has reached out to NASA and the European Space Agency for clarification on what, if any, role they may have played in misleading us into believing that we're living on a giant, round ball.

Update, April 20, 2017: The European Space Agency has categorically denied misleading people into believing the Earth is round, with a representative telling Motherboard that it "does not do this." NASA has yet to respond to Motherboard's request for comment.