The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Rise of the TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Rise of the TMNT Movie Coming To Netflix (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=61021)

ZariusTwo 02-05-2019 08:06 AM

Rise of the TMNT Movie Coming To Netflix

Quote:

Nickelodeon and Netflix have set a deal for Nickelodeon Studios to produce two original, animated feature films: The Loud House and Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

The films are based on Nickelodeon properties but do not involve the TV series, Viacom said. The company announced the deal during its first-quarter earnings call with Wall Street analysts.

“This partnership with Netflix is part of Nickelodeon and Viacom’s broader efforts to tap into Nickelodeon’s library of culturally resonant properties and produce new content for third-party digital and linear platforms,” Viacom CEO Bob Bakish said during the call.

This deal follows Nickelodeon’s partnership with Netflix on Pinky Malinky, which premiered on the streaming service in 2018, as well as a new live-action series Avatar: The Last Airbender, which starts production this year.

Viacom’s Paramount Pictures division has become more and more involved with Netflix. Its TV operation produces high-profile series like 13 Reasons Why and The Haunting of Hill House. The film studio last year set an overall deal with Netflix, which took root in the studio’s sale of Cloverfield Paradox to the streaming giant. Upcoming projects under the Netflix arrangement include To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before 2.

Nickelodeon Studios is a new asset under the kids and family brand’s umbrella. Brian Robbins took the helm of Nick late last year after longtime chief Cyma Zarghami exited the company. The fortunes of Nickelodeon will help shape Viacom’s future, executives acknowledged on the earnings call. They predicted growth in the second half of fiscal 2019 under Robbins and his rebooted team.
https://deadline.com/2019/02/nickelo...es-1202549875/

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-05-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1792739)

Okay, this ISN'T connected to the 2018 show? But it has THAT title? Strike one.

I'm confused. But more than that, I'm leery.

And, of course, it's animated. Strike two.

Shark_Blade 02-05-2019 08:13 AM

“Does not involve the tv series”

I guess it’s a separate entity but retaining the Rise looks.

Leofan26 02-05-2019 08:27 AM

LOL Of all things they keep from this series they decide to keep the looks, do they not know all the backlash it got? Oh well, I hope Leo is the leader in this film since they aren't connected.

Coola Yagami 02-05-2019 08:48 AM

I was thinking this would have been perfect for the big Shredder reveal.

Kenwatanabesclone 02-05-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leofan26 (Post 1792746)
LOL Of all things they keep from this series they decide to keep the looks, do they not know all the backlash it got? Oh well, I hope Leo is the leader in this film since they aren't connected.

Many people love the look. And even for those who don’t, I don’t think that’s the biggest criticism. Most complaints I see online are people who haven’t even watched it calling it teen titans go and complaining that splinters fat and stuff.

Anyway, I’m hoping this is canon to the series, and that the “unrelated to the series thing” is just bad wording or something. This would be a great opportunity for some big story development with the show.

ZariusTwo 02-05-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenwatanabesclone (Post 1792756)
Anyway, I’m hoping this is canon to the series.

That could be problematic if it is canon seeing as there's no existing TMNT library on Netflix...and some might not care to pay for Nickelodeon in order to watch the show, and fans of the show might not want to pay for Netflix just to plug a gap in the continuity if the series all of a sudden starts referencing the movie

It's best it just serve as a stand-alone primer, a taster of what you can find on Nick, and allow the audience to make their own choice.

Vicky82 02-05-2019 10:36 AM

Last year there was rumours of some TMNT specials happening, I guess this one of them.

I was hoping for a 2012 version, I don't mind Rise, I just can't get into it as much as the 2012 show. With it being on Netflix hopefully it will be a tad bit more serious.

Andrew NDB 02-05-2019 11:17 AM

We finally get a Netflix TMNT show and it's this?

Bwahahahahahahahaha... jesus, this is cursed.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-05-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1792786)
We finally get a Netflix TMNT show and it's this?

Bwahahahahahahahaha... jesus, this is cursed.

Nickelodeon heard our cries for a Netflix TMNT series. They conveniently ignored our "like Daredevil, but TMNT" criteria.

Article says "The films are based on Nickelodeon properties but do not involve the TV series, Viacom said."

Does that mean it's Rise of the TMNT but non-canon? Or it's a new version of TMNT for Netflix?

I fear it's the former, but there's a low chance it's the latter...

Andrew NDB 02-05-2019 11:27 AM

The "Rise of the" part might be erroneous reporting. Because that doesn't make any sense.

Not that Nickelodeon has ever cared about recycling titles (ala the fresh, "Out of the Shadows" recycled from the video game into the last movie).

newfan 02-05-2019 11:33 AM

I'd thought after the Titans came out that Viacom might get the idea for an older live action show...maybe.. but anyway .. no LOL, but this is a movie not a show so not sure what the chances are of another show? Slim or none?

Ninjinister 02-05-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1792789)
They conveniently ignored our "like Daredevil, but TMNT" criteria.

Because they don't care about a random adult's niche-ass wants for their children's property.

Coola Yagami 02-05-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1792797)
Because they don't care about your niche-ass wants for their children's property.

Riiiight. And Adam West is the only Batman. If Button and Nolan never had the balls to go against what the fans wanted and go for a truer adaptation, we still would have had 60s Batnsn today.

Someone needs to just do Mirage TMNT and then we'll see how people respond.

The funny part is. If it becomes a hit, we're gonna suddenly get a lot of fake 'was always a Mirage fan' types that weren't even born at the time.

Andrew NDB 02-05-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1792801)
The funny part is. If it becomes a hit, we're gonna suddenly get a lot of fake 'was always a Mirage fan' types that weren't even born at the time.

Oh, how true.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 02-05-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1792789)
Nickelodeon heard our cries for a Netflix TMNT series.

It's not surprising. Online streaming services are the future of home entertainment.

Sabacooza 02-05-2019 12:38 PM

This would be the perfect opportunity to try something a bit more adult friendly just to test the waters.

Toxin45 02-05-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1792801)
Riiiight. And Adam West is the only Batman. If Button and Nolan never had the balls to go against what the fans wanted and go for a truer adaptation, we still would have had 60s Batnsn today.

Someone needs to just do Mirage TMNT and then we'll see how people respond.

Or IDW but the thing is the mirage comics lacked a constitent rogues gallery and it just turtles trying get into a normal life.

Toxin45 02-05-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1792802)
Oh, how true.

Besides Mirage comics are just about turtles trying to live normal lives but life pretty much make it less mundane.

Roseangelo 02-05-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1792792)
The "Rise of the" part might be erroneous reporting. Because that doesn't make any sense.

Not that Nickelodeon has ever cared about recycling titles (ala the fresh, "Out of the Shadows" recycled from the video game into the last movie).

All of the official Nickelodeon channels are repeating the “Rise of the” part, so that is definitely not in error.

This is a big WTF announcement, really.

I get it, Nickelodeon suits who are reading this. You got the deal with Netflix to make a couple movies for them. “Rise” is the current branding for TMNT, and you’re sticking to it for at least a few more years. You don’t want to “confuse” people by breaking up that branding. You want to sell existing toys and merchandise that looks like Rise, not have to create new crap to match a different look for an independent TMNT movie on Netflix. Well, I’m just going to call that as being a crap move. The DC animated universe kept its groove without having to match branding or having branding matches to it. They just made some fun movies that fans enjoyed without needing to sell do-dads along with ‘em (although maybe there were some toys that matched? I don’t know; I honestly don’t follow DC closely). Anyways, this is a huge amazing opportunity and it’s going to be wasted on an extended episode of Rise. Ugh.