The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   More sexual assault alligations for Bryan Singer (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=60957)

Autbot_Benz 01-23-2019 10:12 AM

More sexual assault alligations for Bryan Singer

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ent=edit-promo

Its a long article long story short Singer likes Minors 13-14 year olds.

IndigoErth 01-23-2019 11:41 AM

Bad link. But that's nasty. :(

Is the article this one? https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ak-out/580462/

Skimmed through it... caught Brad Renfro's name. He always did seem slightly...off maybe? Maybe we finally know why. :( God, who else did this guy abuse.

Autbot_Benz 01-23-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1790535)
Bad link. But that's nasty. :(

Is the article this one? https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ak-out/580462/

Skimmed through it... caught Bran Renfro's name. He always did seem slightly...off maybe? Maybe we finally know why. :( God, who else did this guy abuse.

ya that's the same article

Leo656 01-23-2019 09:52 PM

What a piece of sh*t.

It's a shame, he's always been pretty good at directing, but apparently he's always been like this. Gross.

I always knew that he had huge coke and crystal meth problems, and that he liked to "party" with guys who were not "quite" of age yet; none of that was ever a secret, but a lot of people assumed or heard that it was consensual, and/or that the kids weren't THAT young. Like I knew he f*cked 16-year olds, which is questionable but "sh*t happens"; I'd never heard about him giving coke and meth to 13-year olds and promising them parts in his movies.

It all makes sense in hindsight, and he's clearly horrible, but man. That's f*cked up.
--------------

This brings me back to a conversation I've had plenty of times, with plenty of people, about "at what price, fortune and glory?" and why ANY parent would ever allow their kid to be in the entertainment industry, knowing that people like this not only exist, but are The Rule and not the exception. I don't and never will have kids, but if I did, no amount of begging would make me let them anywhere near "The Business."

My sister often said that she'd love it if her daughter had "talent", so she could go to Hollywood, get rich and famous, and take care of her forever. I countered that with the fact that almost 100% of child entertainers are raped, abused, given drugs, and are completely ruined by having been in the business, and how could any parent with a conscience abandon their child to that kind of life? It's completely selfish and irresponsible.

"Well, you just have to try and stay involved and hope it doesn't happen." Bullsh*t, it's going to happen. Everyone from Shirley Temple to Alyssa Milano was raped/molested, it's the entire reason Hollywood wants to make so many movies and TV shows starring kids; because they want to f*ck them. It's completely transparent, yet after all these decades people still want to pretend it only happens "sometimes"? Yes, 99% of the time is still, technically, "only sometimes", but for F*CK'S sake, it's not even worth taking a risk.

I don't care if my hypothetical kids hated me for "ruining their dreams". As I've told many people, if my kid ever wanted to be an entertainer, I would sit them down and say, "When you're 18, you can chase whatever dreams you want, but until then, it's my job to keep you safe. Every kid in the entertainment business gets raped and hooked on drugs and I'm absolutely not going to look the other way and let that happen to you. I'm sure you're upset, but when you're older you'll thank me."

People still give me sh*t about that. "They'll hate you! You'd be ruining their lives in a different way!" Good, fine. It's a lot better a kid tells their therapist about their parents who didn't let them run off to Hollywood, rather than about how Bryan Singer raped them and nobody did anything about it. Isn't it? You're their parent, not their friend. Anyone who would let their kids anywhere near the industry knowing predators operate openly and with impunity needs to be locked up too, as far as I'm concerned.

This sh*t is gross.

Papenbrook 01-24-2019 08:17 AM

I couldn't agree more, Leo.

This is disgustingly immoral. I ... just can't fathom why anyone would put children through all of those abuses.

My thoughts are with the victims.

IndigoErth 01-24-2019 11:23 AM

Likewise, I'd be doing the same. Maybe not quite in those raw details, but if they're interested in film or whatever then they can go to college for it. And hopefully develop an appreciation for it as an art form and want to be there for the right reasons. Not "I wanna be rich and famous because I'm stuck on the unrealistic fantasy of it like everyone else."

Though the parents who put their kids in it are probably themselves still stuck on that fantasy...

It's pretty messed up when you find yourself looking through the IMDB filmography of someone like this hoping there are no shared projects with anyone you like in particular... :ohwell: (Luckily no.) Feel bad for Brad Renfro though. Wasn't ever into him, but I do recall him as one of those guys in Bop and similar magazines back in the day when my generation was buying them... Too sad.

Krutch 01-24-2019 11:43 AM

I actually credit Singer for being the filmmaker that got me into filmmaking.

When I was younger, I'd watch that first X-Men movie on VHS all the time and after the credits there was a small behind the scenes featurette. It completely captured my imagination and charted the way for my career. Most of his movies I actually love. I mean, not whateverthehell Jack the Giant Slayer was, but still - most of his movies are very well crafted.

To hear all this come out is just... gross.

I mean luckily I'm the kind of guy who can separate art from the artist, but still... I think some jail time is in order.

Andrew NDB 01-24-2019 01:00 PM

Lock him up! That fu**!

Coola Yagami 01-24-2019 01:12 PM

I had no idea this is how deep the rabbit hole went. So if we crack down on these people with extreme prejudice... would that be the end of Hollywood? Like no more tv shows, series and movies? Possibly no more cartoons either?

IndigoErth 01-24-2019 01:20 PM

Well not everybody interested in those industries is a wannabe child raping monster. Still plenty to keep it rolling. Though maybe trying to clean up it's act might help other more deserving talent get more work opportunities.

Papenbrook 01-24-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1790698)
Well not everybody interested in those industries is a wannabe child raping monster. Still plenty to keep it rolling. Though maybe trying to clean up it's act might help other more deserving talent get more work opportunities.

That will never happen.

There's too much cronyism, nepotism, and all-around elitism to even consider that option.

Krutch 01-24-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papenbrook (Post 1790706)
That will never happen.

There's too much cronyism, nepotism, and all-around elitism to even consider that option.

It can happen, but it ain't gonna be a lightswitch. Give it another 100 years and we might be somewhere.

Autbot_Benz 01-24-2019 04:53 PM

Singer still gets to direct Red Sonja even after all this abuse stuff

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-speak-1178785

Leo656 01-24-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krutch (Post 1790720)
It can happen, but it ain't gonna be a lightswitch. Give it another 100 years and we might be somewhere.

You have a very optimistic view of humanity. :lol: It's already been 100 years since The Biz was a thing and we're only now seeing the tiniest sliver of "progress". I figure in another hundred years, we won't have made any progress insofar as rich, powerful people being rapey pedos, BUT, we'll have made a lot of progress towards replacing actors who say "No" with robots.

I mean, the entertainment industry is relatively new. But powerful people using their clout to rape women and kids is a "tradition" that goes back thousands of years.

My late father, a "professional" drug abuser with many decades of "experience" had a saying about people's bad behavior, and especially when they talk about cleaning up their act: "NOBODY gets 'clean', people just get discreet." That's what I've always seen as well.

It could help if we started out by holding people like Singer to the exact same standards we hold "normal" people who are caught (or accused of) doing the same exact thing, but we all know that isn't gonna happen because we think celebrities are heroes, somehow, so I really don't know how we're ever gonna see any real change.

Like many things, it's possible, but collectively we're not interested in making the sacrifices necessary to get us there.
-------------

I love how Singer still gets to direct Red Sonja, and the producer almost word-for-word says, "Bohemian Rhapsody made $800 million dollars, so frankly I don't care if Bryan Singer f*cked an entire junior high school track team, he's good for my bottom line." Gotta admire the f*cking balls, at least. Wow.

This is the sh*t I mean. Sh*t ain't changing.

Krutch 01-25-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1790761)
You have a very optimistic view of humanity. :lol:

Here's the thing - it's either be optimistic or be annoyed.

Yes, very little has changed in the industry but look at todays youth culture. Call them Social Justice Warriors if you want but they're extremely vocal and well intended. They're obsessed with change to the point of nausea. To us older cats, sure, it's annoying and eye rolling most of the time because they haven't really honed their voices and seem pretty aimless or overeactionary. But that generation could very well be the bedrock of society moving forward. Never before has a generation been so proactive with change in a time we can all actually hear each other with the advent of the internet.

I don't think we'll hit Demolition Man utopia anytime soon but in 100 years alot of the old guard will have passed on and that'll be about 3 generations worth "be the change" parenting.

So yeah, call me optimistic or, I don't know, Canadian - but that's my two cents.

Andrew NDB 01-25-2019 11:20 AM

The problem is that the "civil rights movement" never stopped and has no end point. It just keeps going.

Equal rights for women? Great! Yes! Equal rights for gays? Yeah, sure. Redefine gender into 50 genders? #metoo? Ehhhh...

Vegita-San 01-25-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1790841)
The problem is that the "civil rights movement" never stopped and has no end point. It just keeps going.

Equal rights for women? Great! Yes! Equal rights for gays? Yeah, sure. Redefine gender into 50 genders? #metoo? Ehhhh...

yep. how crazy is too crazy, just to appear progressive? pretty soon it'll be legal to live your life as a clown 24/7. now that is scary. floppy shoes everywhere.

as for hollywood, they are the biggest hypocrites in the world. you can bet your ass they knew something was going on. and did nothing to stop or stall it. as long as the guy was making them money, everything was awesome.

Krutch 01-25-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegita-San (Post 1790843)
yep. how crazy is too crazy, just to appear progressive?

To be clear, I'm in total agreement with the both of you. I think this is an instance where they (being the SJW "generation") need to cross the line for a while to know where it is. It's all part of finding your voice. Be outraged at everything until you realize what's worth arguing about and what isn't. It's a work in progress, and it's still in its infancy. But there's hope.

IndigoErth 01-25-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1790691)
Lock him up! That fu**!

Quote:

#metoo?

So now we shouldn't lock him up?

Hashtags or not, the guys accusing him of doing these things are still part of the present movement of victims finding a voice.

Papenbrook 01-30-2019 05:21 PM

Bryan Singer is going to receive 40 million+ dollars for his directorial work on Bohemian Rhapsody.