The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   When do you think you will start to have nostalgia for this series? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=34988)

CyberCubed 08-31-2011 03:44 PM

When do you think you will start to have nostalgia for this series?

Like any franchise, once something gets really old people begin to have nostalgia for it. The original cartoon, first 3 movies, the old Mirage and Archie comics all have the nostalgia feeling to them.

The 2k3 series debuted in 2003, which was actually 8 years ago now.

While I have rewatched all the episodes at least twice, I still don't have the nostalgia bug for it quite yet. I think once the Nick series starts is when the nostalgia for this series will kick in for most people.

Powder 08-31-2011 03:52 PM

Never. I love the series but I've watched it enough. Even if I went a while without, it wouldn't be like I was rediscovering it.

CyberCubed 08-31-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 872966)
Never. I love the series but I've watched it enough. Even if I went a while without, it wouldn't be like I was rediscovering it.

True, but what about 10 years from now?

I think the 4kids series will be remembered by TMNT fans what "The Next Generation" was to Star Trek fans, compared to the original series.

Spitfire 08-31-2011 05:10 PM

It'll be awhile before it hits me. If the new series blows though I'll be shutting myself off from TMNT all together most likely. It's starting to become one of those things that's never as good as it used to be or could be.

ToTheNines 08-31-2011 05:32 PM

I kinda do already, in a way. I still like the show, but I miss the feeling I used to get while watching it as a 12/13 year old (well the first couple of seasons at least.)

Shreddhead 08-31-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 872989)
I kinda do already, in a way. I still like the show, but I miss the feeling I used to get while watching it as a 12/13 year old (well the first couple of seasons at least.)

I have to say i feel somewhat similar. The series as a whole does not really bring back a whole lot of nostalgia, but i can remember watching at least the first season on tv when it aired, and "rediscovering" those episodes earlier this year brought back some of those feelings. Ive always been a much bigger fan of the 87 toon and the mirage and image comics, but i was still young enough during the first season of 2k3 to find it somewhat nostalgic now.

And i also agree with the star trek comparison. I rewatched all the 2k3 episodes and really enjoyed a lot of them (mostly because of their comic book story arcs). but of course it will never meet excellence of the original toon in my eyes. :trazz:

Xav 08-31-2011 06:21 PM

Well yeah I do wish the show was still on.

CyberCubed 08-31-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xav (Post 872997)
Well yeah I do wish the show was still on.

Eh, it pretty much ended at the right time. I'm sure the quality would continue to dip if it went to Season 8 or beyond.

Xav 08-31-2011 06:38 PM

Granted BTTS was a step down but I still enjoyed the show. Plus I wanted to see the "Shredder Wars" which was teased at the beginning.

TheSkeletonMan939 08-31-2011 06:46 PM

Still, even if it was in BttS style, I would have liked to see the Shredder Wars. I'm sure Peter would have worked with 4Kids like he did with the early episodes if Shredder Wars had made it.

CyberCubed 08-31-2011 06:47 PM

The Shredder Wars worked best as an alternate universe kind of thing. Bringing Demon Shredder back to life, along with Ch'rell and Cyber Shredder who all essentially died would be pretty lame.

I liked how each Shredder was essentially killed off too.

Xav 08-31-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 872969)
I think the 4kids series will be remembered by TMNT fans what "The Next Generation" was to Star Trek fans, compared to the original series.

Yeah but those shows take place in the same universe and have different characters. It would be more like comparing the old Adam West Batman show to Batman: TAS.

Shreddhead 08-31-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xav (Post 873029)
Yeah but those shows take place in the same universe and have different characters. It would be more like comparing the old Adam West Batman show to Batman: TAS.

i dont think he meant it in that sense. Its more like "this version is pretty good, but the original is still better". / more memorable

Cryomancer 08-31-2011 08:44 PM

I watched most of it a few years ago in more or less marathon fashion. I'm already getting semi-nostalgic for it, in that I keep getting the urge to go watch the rest of it, or start over and watch it all through. I really liked the show.

Jephael 08-31-2011 09:14 PM

Someday when my niece and nephew are old enough I want to show them the series. I'm hoping atleast one of them will be interested in watching it because I would love to experience reliving that show with a young family member.

MrPliggins 09-01-2011 06:17 AM

I had nostalgia right from the start, at least with the Mirage-based stories.

pannoni1 09-01-2011 06:24 AM

Not really for me as I was in college and starting a job when the 2K3 series started, feeling that I was "too old" to concentrate on TMNT (though would very ocassionally, like once a year watch an OT TMNT or a movie), so it will always be an "alternate universe", even though it's a good alternate considering it came from the comics that began before the Fred Wolf show. But having hand-drawn as opposed to CGI will be a piece of nostalgia when Nick kicks in, but I'm sure when that series starts, the style of the Nick show as proposed will likely send more fans nostalgic for the FW show, especially if its a hit. But I'm sure the nostalgia will be greatest among those born between around 1991 to 2000 or so; too late to catch the OT in its prime, but born soon enough to catch at least part of the show in any form, as well as being no further than high school when the series ended.

Leo656 09-02-2011 01:40 AM

I'm already nostalgic for it, I'm not in love with much about the Nick show yet. :lol:

Sadly, due to work and the general chaos of my life, I've only seen most, not all, of the episodes and was completely out of it by the time they did the Fast Forward stuff, I've never seen that or anything after it. Which pisses me off, because that makes the less-than-perfect and incomplete DVDs my lifeline to the show.

Still, one of these weekends we're gonna watch all the DVDs I have in a marathon run like we did back when Season 3 had just come out. Since I've only seen most of the episodes once, and rarely more than 3 times, I'm still discovering things about it and am not as "burnt out" on it as others seem to be. It's up there with Masters of the Universe and Justice League as my picks for best cartoon of the 2000-2010 decade.

ABrown 09-02-2011 09:28 AM

I don't know that I'll ever necesarilly have what I would consider nostalgia for this series. I have nostalgia for everything from my childhood. But all of the shows that started once I reached around the age of eleven or so, not so much.

Prowler 02-20-2016 11:18 AM

I guess I kinda gave nostalgia for it nowadays. I mean, i can obviously watch it any time still, but I kinda miss being 12-13 at the time this show came out and how exciting it was to look forward to a new episode and to new action figures of it. Probably the last cartoon that gave me that sort of feeling. Plus, it accompanied me through my teenage years. I was 18-19 when it was over. So it was interesting for the show to grow alongside me.