The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   General TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Classic Episode Discussion: Invasion of the Punk Frogs (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=7518)

Reznorite420 02-07-2004 01:51 AM

Classic Episode Discussion: Invasion of the Punk Frogs
 
Welp, it's been a week, so I guess it's time to start anutter wun o dese thingies.

Good news: This time there WILL be a clip I will post!
Bad news: I'm stealing it (sorry DK) :(

Without further ado...

Tetsu Deinonychus 02-07-2004 04:33 AM

Napoleon Bona'frog ROCKS!!! :D

Anarky 02-07-2004 07:17 AM

think they kinda overdid the mutant thing in that ep. BUT: i must say i don't remember it very well...

Coola Yagami 02-07-2004 08:57 AM

Leonardo- I'm insulted. How can anyone mistake those... things for turtles!

MW8979 02-07-2004 10:37 AM

Despite the introduction of new characters, a really mediocre episode.

Jephael 02-07-2004 10:50 AM

I thought it was a good ep, but they really shouldn't have had 4 frogs. I think 2 or 3 would've been enough. Heck, we've seen in later episodes how easily one mutant turtle (Slash/Kerma) could be mistake for all 4 of the Ninja Turtle.

Tetsu Deinonychus 02-07-2004 10:55 AM

:nod: Genghis and Napoleon were the only memorable frogs anyway.

Reznorite420 02-07-2004 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperShredder84
Despite the introduction of new characters, a really mediocre episode.

Since when did introducing new characters make the show bad?

Coola Yagami 02-07-2004 03:30 PM

I know it was an older cartoon, but there shoulda been more action between the turtles and the frogs. The thing is, the frogs were way too goody-goody and even when Shredder duped them, they still didn't look like they would actually injure the turtles.


I also wondered why they made 4 frogs. If the ep was the typical 'put in new guys to sell the toys' ep then why put 3 extra frogs if the intended toy was just Genghis Frog? And years later.. why did they make a Napoleon figure that looked nothing like the cartoon and with some made up 'Flyboy' which is probably what Napoleon snacked on anyways.

MW8979 02-07-2004 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reznorite420
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperShredder84
Despite the introduction of new characters, a really mediocre episode.

Since when did introducing new characters make the show bad?

Read Coola Yagami's post, that'll explain a part of it. I just think that if you're gonna introduce new characters, make them interesting - like Casey Jones. The frogs were extremely boring, their resemblance to turtles very derivative and the plot of the episode was so predictably stupid, they should just have not bothered with it. It's like it was a lame attempt by Shredder to have his own "turtles". I know in this show lots of things were simple and predictable, but nevertheless, I liked seeing someone like Chrome Dome a lot more then frogs that didn't do anything.

Coola Yagami 02-07-2004 04:27 PM

The only frog that was somewhat cool was the one with the all different kinds of arrows...

BTW what was with their accents? Do people in Florida talk like Gomer Pyle?

Bowser_Koopa 02-07-2004 07:49 PM

i haven't seen this episodes in months, but i know i didn't like the frogs :D

MrPliggins 02-08-2004 01:51 PM

Nyotrinoline....hahah.what a silly made-up chemical...

jeff the cheff 02-08-2004 02:42 PM

This episode was alright, why were they called punk frogs though?


Last year in biology we disected frogs, and we had to give them names. I remember putting the needles in its eyebrow to make it look like a piercing, and I called it punk frog. :lol:

Coola Yagami 02-08-2004 03:28 PM

They needed some kind of prefix, like Ninja Turtles. I guess they used Punk Frogs cause they thought the word punk means 'bad' or is the word kids use nowadays and all that stuff.

Wes 02-09-2004 12:24 AM

You people are mean! I loved those damned frogs. Yes, all four of 'em!

Unfortunately, like TetsuDeinonychus points out, I only remember Genghis and Napoleon -- probably because they were the only two who got figures, both of which I have. And I remember that there was one named Rasputin, but that's about it. Somehow I suspect the fourth was named Attilla, given the theme we've got going here...

Besides, I don't think the whole Leatherhead conflict would have worked as well without the four of them, and I like Leatherhead even more than the frogs. Wonder which one he ate. :cry:

Anyone remember Battletoads? :lol:

Reznorite420 02-09-2004 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes
Somehow I suspect the fourth was named Attilla, given the theme we've got going here...

Bingo.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes
Anyone remember Battletoads? :lol:

Don't remind me...

Tinselcat 02-11-2004 11:02 AM

y'know, i wasn't crazy about that episode. something about those frogs with the cheezy overdone southern accents and loud hawaiian shirts just turned me off... they kind of frightened me. i wouldn't want to meet one of those bastards in a dark alleyway on a rainy night...

Lady Estel 02-16-2004 04:36 PM

I kinda didn't think much of them because I saw only one episode, or at least remember one episode...

But I remember they wore those hawain shirts, like TC said. But where they all named after famous Dictators. (sorry spellings crap.)

Chewie 02-16-2004 05:52 PM

I don`t like the Frogs anyway!

The seem to be a bad imitation of the Turtles themselfs. :x
And in Germany the Frogs sound like Kermit. Not very cool......

PizzaPower 02-16-2004 06:02 PM

I loved that episode!!! But when I was little I cryed becasue they did noe like pizza at the end of the show. It was cool how shredder used that device to cvhange him to that dude though.

Jephael 02-16-2004 06:48 PM

It didn't change his face, Pizza Power. It only changed his wardrobe. You think with all the effort he puts into trying to get the turtles, he'd have the patients to change clothes!

PizzaPower 02-16-2004 06:51 PM

LOL ya I know to bad he never got the turtles!! :P

Ace Duck 02-16-2004 07:14 PM

I thought the frogs were lame. But one thing this episode highlighted that I think isn't generally appreciated was that Shredder could be a diabolically charismatic leader. A real Svengali, not just a tyrant.

Jester 03-01-2004 04:10 PM

i thought the frog were just too similar....at least the tmnt have diffrent personas...the frogs just had weapons that were diffrent....but like wes said the ep where the TMNT and frogs team up against leather head makes the frogs at least a bit more useful....and they were captured first by dirk savage....which made hi the turtles enemy....for at least the 1st half of the ep

Orochi Chimera 03-02-2004 12:48 PM

The frogs were pretty weird. Four Turtles, Four Frogs... Has me thinking of that TMNT ripoff/clone Street Sharks. I didn't really like that show.

Jester 03-02-2004 02:54 PM

nope...well kinda....if u can rip off ur own show....but i had a street shark....he was armagon for my turtles....like in the turney fighters game and the comics

MeanGreenMachine 08-02-2009 10:49 AM

I just saw the episode last night, and I must say the super slap jawed southern accents don't mix because no one in Florida talks like that. The fact that Shredder travelled to Florida, and needed that device to cloak him when he could have just changed clothes, everything about this episode was so cheese ball and dumb that it turned me off.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 08-03-2009 09:36 AM

Silly
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanGreenMachine (Post 712302)
The fact that Shredder travelled to Florida, and needed that device to cloak him when he could have just changed clothes, everything about this episode was so cheese ball and dumb that it turned me off.

I agree that device was silly.

Sage Ninja 08-04-2009 12:55 PM

I agree with this statment right here:

Quote:

this episode highlighted that I think isn't generally appreciated was that Shredder could be a diabolically charismatic leader. A real Svengali, not just a tyrant.
I like seeing this side of Shredder. Shredder was more than just the foul tempered tyrant that would verbally abuse his underlings. He's sly and manipulative with just enough persasive charm to lead people into doing what he wants. It's the same thing he used on Baxter Stockman to get him under his control, and it's what actaully could make you take him seriously as being potentially dangerous villan if he can sway people so easily.

As for the Frogs, I don't think they really stood out too much in this episode for me. I had hard time telling them apart. I don't think they really shine until the first leatherhead episode.

Another thing I liked about this episode was the mutant control squad. Man those guys whern't exploited enough in this show.

Bad Guys Lover 08-04-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage Ninja (Post 712871)
I agree with this statment right here:



I like seeing this side of Shredder. Shredder was more than just the foul tempered tyrant that would verbally abuse his underlings. He's sly and manipulative with just enough persasive charm to lead people into doing what he wants. It's the same thing he used on Baxter Stockman to get him under his control, and it's what actaully could make you take him seriously as being potentially dangerous villan if he can sway people so easily.

I agree. He can be such a smooth talker... :embarass: :shifty:

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 08-05-2009 11:27 AM

Government
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage Ninja (Post 712871)
I agree with this statment right here:



I like seeing this side of Shredder. Shredder was more than just the foul tempered tyrant that would verbally abuse his underlings. He's sly and manipulative with just enough persasive charm to lead people into doing what he wants. It's the same thing he used on Baxter Stockman to get him under his control, and it's what actaully could make you take him seriously as being potentially dangerous villan if he can sway people so easily.

As for the Frogs, I don't think they really stood out too much in this episode for me. I had hard time telling them apart. I don't think they really shine until the first leatherhead episode.

Another thing I liked about this episode was the mutant control squad. Man those guys whern't exploited enough in this show.

Hey. They were just some people employed by the US government. No show describes everything about every police officer.

Mikey86 08-05-2009 12:53 PM

One of my favorite sets of characters from the OT! Sure they were silly with their unneeded accents, lack of individual personalities and such. They were mutated frogs, which is all I cared about when I first saw the episode. :D

Prowler 08-05-2009 02:24 PM

I never liked those frogs, they had no personality and were WAY naive.

Coola Yagami 08-05-2009 08:38 PM

Yeah, that was the major problem, they had NO personalities. Leo leads, Mikey is the surfer, Raph is the wiseguy, Don in the techhead. Genghis/Atilla/Napoleon/Rasputin were all just good-goody hicks. Noone stood apart 'cept that MAYBE Genghis was the leader since he actually had an action figure at the time.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 08-06-2009 03:09 AM

I had that action figure.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 713364)
Noone stood apart 'cept that MAYBE Genghis was the leader since he actually had an action figure at the time.


I had that action figure.

Hordak 08-17-2009 11:51 AM

I liked this episode ok. I always enjoyed the episodes with new mutants any way! I thought the frogs were pretty cool. Like how it was a mistake for them to be made but then was like Shredders evil alternative to the turtles. But I love Leatherhead & they made his episode even better!

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 08-18-2009 07:28 AM

Big Bug Blunder
 
I like when Genghis Frog appearance in Big Bug Blunder.

cartoonistaaron 08-22-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanGreenMachine (Post 712302)
I just saw the episode last night, and I must say the super slap jawed southern accents don't mix because no one in Florida talks like that. The fact that Shredder travelled to Florida, and needed that device to cloak him when he could have just changed clothes, everything about this episode was so cheese ball and dumb that it turned me off.

I thought this episode was kinda stupid, too, but I gotta say -- as a lifelong Floridian, I know several people who sound a lot like the punk frogs when they talk. In fact, I remember making fun of the neighbor kid because he sounded just like Genghis Frog (and Gomer Pyle).

Good times. Good times.

I did think it was strange that the frogs had such evil names but were such hick rubes, not to mention being called the "Punk Frogs" but looking tamer than Disney cartoons. They should have designed them to look a little "rougher."

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 08-23-2009 03:34 AM

Shredder
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cartoonistaaron (Post 716554)
I thought this episode was kinda stupid, too, but I gotta say -- as a lifelong Floridian, I know several people who sound a lot like the punk frogs when they talk. In fact, I remember making fun of the neighbor kid because he sounded just like Genghis Frog (and Gomer Pyle).

Good times. Good times.

I did think it was strange that the frogs had such evil names but were such hick rubes, not to mention being called the "Punk Frogs" but looking tamer than Disney cartoons. They should have designed them to look a little "rougher."

Shredder named them.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.