The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Game Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   TMNT Red Sky Battle for OpenBOR (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=34014)

Cryomancer 05-17-2011 12:53 AM

TMNT Red Sky Battle for OpenBOR

Anyone played this? It's a pretty decent fan-made TMNT brawler. There's an article on it here:

http://tmnt.wikia.com/wiki/Teenage_M...Red_Sky_Battle

I beat it once through today playing it on my Wii, but it's got branching paths so I'm gonna have to play it a couple more times to see every level probably. It's a very interesting mix of pretty much all the normal TMNT brawlers, and I believe most of the level backgrounds are custom work for this game, unless they're from some other game I've never seen.

There's a crapload of moves, many of which I have yet to figure out how to do. I know tapping up or down twice does a move, for example, and tapping left or right makes you run and you can then hit attack to do a dashing attack. The double down move seems to be unique per turtle. There's even a move where your turtle will stick it's head into it's shell to avoid damage.

I figured out the codes for Casey and the Foot Ninja playable characters, but the wiki article there claims there are three hidden characters, so I dunno if it's wrong or if I just haven't found the code yet. I think you can only use the codes on PC though sadly, my Wii will have to remain Casey-less.

This game seems semi hard to find, if it's not against the rules I can upload the install / PAK file for it if anyone wants.

edit: i should probably point out that this game does include blood when fighting, and after you unlock casey there is some profanity too.

Spitfire 05-17-2011 01:01 AM

Sounds neat. I'd like to see some videos of it. How are ya playing it on Wii?

Cryomancer 05-17-2011 06:01 AM

There's a port of OpenBOR for the Wii, so if you have a softmodded Wii you can run it via the Homebrew Channel.

Redeemer 05-17-2011 06:24 AM

Sounds like an awesome game, sadly I dont have a soft modded Wii and if u want to attach a download check the rules and then I would ask a moderator. The drome got in trouble a few years back unfortunately so we have to be very careful

Cryomancer 05-17-2011 06:30 AM

Well openBOR is also ported to a ton of other platforms, so you could play it on your PC too, or a PSP, etc.

if you google around, the PAK file itself is called TMNT_RSB.PAK, or you should be able to find a standalone version with it's launcher thing (for using the codes) under the filename "teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles___red_sky_battle.rar ". the standalone is probably how its intended to be played.

oldmanwinters 05-17-2011 07:51 AM

Welcome to the forums, Cryomancer!

This particular fan game, to my knowledge, is a Russian edit of a previous game, TMNT: Wrath of the Shredder, that got started and then abandoned by BonusJZ. There was a discussion thread for that here:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=19947

I have played the Red Sky revision, but I think the game glitched out once I got to the moving truck level (I like you fight Baxter the Fly there) and I haven't really been back to it since.

Cryomancer 05-17-2011 04:04 PM

Thanks for the welcome. Ah, "fan game" wasn't a super helpful topic name I guess then, heh. Missed that when I did a quick search.

The moving truck level worked ok for me, but it's not a very fun level. You can fall off easily, wasting a life, and the boss is a very difficult to dodge or hit version of Baxter. Probably about the weakest level I played on my runthrough of the game.

Redeemer 05-28-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryomancer (Post 848823)
Thanks for the welcome. Ah, "fan game" wasn't a super helpful topic name I guess then, heh. Missed that when I did a quick search.

The moving truck level worked ok for me, but it's not a very fun level. You can fall off easily, wasting a life, and the boss is a very difficult to dodge or hit version of Baxter. Probably about the weakest level I played on my runthrough of the game.

Sounds like a pain in the ass lol

Pro Igrok 05-29-2011 03:27 AM

Hello everyone! When I was looking through google, I accidentally found this topic. I am pleasant to see that my project became popular not only in Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.:toops:
I will answer on points:
1. Game was developed exclusively for personal computer, there was no time to work at console versions. I used materials from many tmnt games (tmnt 2 arcade-nes, tmnt 3, tmnt 07 gba)
to create new interesting tmnt game. Actually, the developping of TMNT Red Sky Battle was started because I get bothered to wait for a new version of Bonus JZ project.
2. To unlock the 3rd hidden playable character, you must unlock survival mode and complete it then you will get secret code, wich will help you to activate the hidden character.:twink:
(or ask me in pm and i will get this code).
3. On level "Crazy Truck Ride" to defeat boss easily, you must stand under Baxter and attack in air, in that case you can return to this branch and finish it.:tcool:
4. There are some glitches, which I and ALEX couldn't clean because of dampness of engine, but they are no fatal and game is playable.:tmad:
5. Maybe someone says that game is good even now, but in future tmnt red sky battle would be awesome.:D

Cryomancer 05-29-2011 01:41 PM

You are still working on it? I'd be interested in helping out somehow maybe...want someone to redo those NES graphics or something?

I should mention too, it works fine on the Wii port of OpenBOR, you just can't use the launcher, and therefore can't use the codes. But I did manage to beat the game.

Pro Igrok 05-29-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

You are still working on it?
Yes, of course I'm working on tmnt red sky battle project. In near future (next week or later) I planned to show progress of year of working on real tmnt red sky battle.:tcool:
Quote:

I'd be interested in helping out somehow maybe...want someone to redo those NES graphics or something?
I would be very grateful, if someone could improve sprites of enemies from nes.:twink:

Cryomancer 05-29-2011 06:49 PM

I could try it out. Could you post the frames for me?

PizzaPower 05-29-2011 07:11 PM

it wont download for me :(

Cryomancer 05-30-2011 03:28 PM

What won't download? OpenBOR, or the .pak?

PizzaPower 05-30-2011 05:01 PM

ok i got it to download and i unzipped the "pak" but the game wont load at all.

Cryomancer 05-30-2011 07:23 PM

you don't need to unzip the pak. the pak goes into the pak directory in openBOR.

here, i uploaded a copy that's ready to go: http://www.mediafire.com/?lai11xaeq9lhi67

just run either exe to play. the launcher is there if you want to input codes.

PizzaPower 05-31-2011 06:05 PM

yup the game freezes at the loading screan :(

oldmanwinters 05-31-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzaPower (Post 853044)
yup the game freezes at the loading screan :(

It always gives me the appearance of freezing up about half way through the load, but you probably just need to give it a few minutes (literally minutes) and it should load up fine assuming your computer is up to par.

Cryomancer 06-01-2011 08:36 AM

Yeah, it takes a good long while. Start it up and go make a sandwich or something.

Pro Igrok 06-01-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryomancer (Post 853237)
Yeah, it takes a good long while. Start it up and go make a sandwich or something.

Thanks a Open BOR engine optimization.:D
This loading reminds me games on console Sega Saturn, in particular to play "Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3" begins is intolerable. Therefore in the following version expect the maximum optimization of which this crude cursor is capable, it was as much as possible pleasant to play.:tcool: