The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Do you feel the 2k3 series is under-appreciated? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54607)

Turo602 02-29-2016 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1554208)
This is probably the only forum I've been on where people consider a show that went on for 156 episodes, 7 seasons and a DTV movie and say it was "overlooked."

The way people talk you would think the 2k3 series got canceled in like two seasons or something or only made 26-52 episodes like how other cartoons get canceled early. The show literally made over 150 episodes. Only 40ish eps less than the original cartoon did. That's a damn big achievement.

Just because it had an amazing run doesn't mean it can't be overlooked. It still didn't have as big of an impact as the 87 series or even the current 2012 series. You can't honestly argue that TMNT in 2003 was as big or bigger than it was in the 80s, 90s, and even now. More people know who Krang, Bebop, and Rocksteady are and what the Technodrome is than they do Hun or Bishop regardless if they ended up in the comics. It may have done well enough to get by for seven seasons but it was never this huge hit of a cartoon series. The show was even going down in ratings during season 4 which is why they skipped season 5 and went straight into Fast Forward. By then, they were just trying to salvage the series. Even when the show was still on air and new merchandising was announced, it was covered in OT Turtles.

Prowler 02-29-2016 08:36 AM

Quote:

This is probably the only forum I've been on where people consider a show that went on for 156 episodes, 7 seasons and a DTV movie and say it was "overlooked."

The way people talk you would think the 2k3 series got canceled in like two seasons or something or only made 26-52 episodes like how other cartoons get canceled early. The show literally made over 150 episodes. Only 40ish eps less than the original cartoon did. That's a damn big achievement.

Maybe "overlooked" isn't the right word. But it is odd how so many people still haven't heard of this show considering it lasted for so long. And I don't mean just people who were already adults by the time it came out and didn't care about cartoons any more, but people are only 19-20 today and claim to have never heard of this show.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuriken (Post 1554212)
^^I'd have to agree with you there. And I'd say 2/3 of those episodes were good/ enjoyable enough for me to re-watch. Can't say the same for the 87 series.

A shame the latter seasons were no on par with the first 4 ones.

ABrown 02-29-2016 09:22 AM

Quote:

"Overlooked" isn't the right word. It's more like "forgotten". Which is unfortunate, because it's probably my favorite action cartoon ever created.

CyberCubed 02-29-2016 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuriken (Post 1554212)
^^I'd have to agree with you there. And I'd say 2/3 of those episodes were good/ enjoyable enough for me to re-watch. Can't say the same for the 87 series.

Most of the 2k3 series is good, and some FF and BTTS eps are great too. As for the OT, I like at least 75% of its total episodes to this day.

Prowler 02-29-2016 12:24 PM

Season 2 has a few duds, despite being a good season overall. Season 3 is good too, but I guess the first seven or so episodes being spent in the Triceraton Earth invasion wasn't to everyone's liking.

CyberCubed 02-29-2016 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1554370)
Season 2 has a few duds, despite being a good season overall. Season 3 is good too, but I guess the first seven or so episodes being spent in the Triceraton Earth invasion wasn't to everyone's liking.

Uh, the Triceraton invasion in Season 3 was critically acclaimed.

ABrown 02-29-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1554370)

Hmm, maybe I'm in the minority then. I absolutely loved the six Triceraton invasion episodes from the third season.

CyberCubed 02-29-2016 02:04 PM

No, it was loved. I was here when it aired. That arc also introduced Bishop.

Prowler 02-29-2016 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1554372)

I've seen people complain about it lasting for 6 episodes. Not about the arc itself. Just lasting for about 1/4 of the season.

CyberCubed 02-29-2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1554402)
I've seen people complain about it lasting for 6 episodes. Not about the arc itself. Just lasting for about 1/4 of the season.

They were two separate 3 parters back to back.

TheSkeletonMan939 02-29-2016 02:40 PM

Season three was great. My only qualm was their missed opportunity to tie in SAINW with the Exodus two-parter.

Zak The Neutrino 02-29-2016 03:18 PM

What channel did this air on? I remember seeing it sometimes when I was flipping through channels but my oldest who would have been a prime age while this was going on wasn't interested at all. He was into Spiderman and Power Rangers during this time.

Redeemer 02-29-2016 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 (Post 1554414)
Season three was great. My only qualm was their missed opportunity to tie in SAINW with the Exodus two-parter.

That would have been amazing!!!! :D

TheSkeletonMan939 02-29-2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer (Post 1554431)
That would have been amazing!!!! :D

I've always thought what they should have done was, in SAINW, have Donnie learn somehow that the reason Shredder gained so much power was that he was able to leave Earth in his spaceship and return with lots of firepower. That would give the turtles more reason to go to stop Shredder in Exodus. I mean, I know Splinter had that vision, but still...

CyberCubed 02-29-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zak The Neutrino (Post 1554426)
What channel did this air on? I remember seeing it sometimes when I was flipping through channels but my oldest who would have been a prime age while this was going on wasn't interested at all. He was into Spiderman and Power Rangers during this time.

It aired on Fox, hence the "FoxBox."

ToTheNines 02-29-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Do you even know what "critically acclaimed" means?

shuriken 02-29-2016 11:56 PM

Quote:

by who? You?
I liked this series but I wasn't aware any of the episodes were ever "critically acclaimed"

ABrown 03-01-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zak The Neutrino (Post 1554426)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1554495)
It aired on Fox, hence the "FoxBox."

I didn't necessarily air on Fox in all markets though. For example, I'm in the Chicagoland market. So for me, I saw it when it aired on our UPN affiliate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4Kids_...rkTV_affiliate

Klunk1234 03-01-2016 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1553934)
I was one of those original kids from the 80's who loved the original cartoon, movies, etc....and became a teenager when the 2k3 series was airing.

I was 16, or just turned 17, back in 2003 when the show started. As a teenager the show was everything I wanted, and I felt like the Turtles finally had a serious action show on par with Batman: TAS, etc.

A lot of you are forgetting the original fanbase like myself were teenagers when the 2k3 series was airing, so for those of us still interested in the franchise we watched it seriously. Some other teenagers were probably in the, "I need to outgrow cartoons" phase and for that reason didn't watch it.

Damn, I was only 15 when Volume 4 started in 2001. Jesus Christ I am getting old.

Cyber, you are not an 80's kid but a 90's one. 80's kids were teens during the 90's and in their 20's when the 2k3 aired.

For me, the 2k3 series is the most under appreciated nowadays. All you see is the 80's original series re-released in actions figures, clothing, complete DVD series. Things that I don't see for the 2k3. Nickelodeon has simply disowned that show. I know it lasted 7 seasons, but they are not making a comeback like the '87 original series is in merchandising.

Xav 03-01-2016 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klunk1234 (Post 1554864)
Cyber, you are not an 80's kid but a 90's one. 80's kids were teens during the 90's and in their 20's when the 2k3 aired.

Most people born in the 80's would've been in their teens when the 4Kids show started.