The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Rise of the TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   So I saw my first full episodes of Rise... (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=61359)

The Great Saiyaman 04-28-2019 10:24 AM

So I saw my first full episodes of Rise...

Which were "Origami Tsunami" and "Donnie's gifts"

Boy, judging from those episodes I can sum up the Turtles as a team with one word "Incompetent." They were worse than the eighties Turtles in "Turtles forever."

Leonardo's constant joking was grating, he reminded me of Human Torch in Fantastic Four, the world's greatest heroes, another guy who has no idea how tiring he is.
Raphael, big dumb jock.
Donatello, wise guy.
Michelangelo, Michelangelo, of all of them he's changed the least.
April, back to being damsel in distress, sadly.

Pros would be the fluid animation but boy when I think about what series it replaced...

So does this improve?

newfan 04-28-2019 10:43 AM

I think they are supposed to start out inexperienced, it's them at an earlier point than we have seen them before, or so I remember the description.
You could always just check out a few more and decide if it's for you or not, all the eps have threads so you could read up on those first maybe at take your pick?

IndigoErth 04-28-2019 10:49 AM

Well at least you started with one of the better early ones (Origami Tsunami), though "Donnie's gifts" isn't so great and one of the first big hints that this Donnie is kind of a jerk.

"Better" really depends on what episodes. Mostly... no. If someone wants to focus only on what's a little better and is more about the actual theme of this one, I suggest Mystic Mayhem (first ep), Origami Tsunami, Bug Busters, The Evil League of Mutants, and the most recently aired Shadow of Evil. If these had been the only eps of the series so far the perception and appreciation of this one would/might be a lot different. (Though that doesn't help the crappy personality changes that there's no help for.)

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 04-28-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman (Post 1804667)
Boy, judging from those episodes I can sum up the Turtles as a team with one word "Incompetent." They were worse than the eighties Turtles in "Turtles forever."

Be ready to take it as a comedy.

rickwj324 04-29-2019 06:24 AM

I've found the show to be totally unwatchable. It is one of the worst cartoons on tv. Every time I hear April speak or see Splinter on-screen I cringe. It really is an abomination to the TMNT franchise.

MikeandRaph87 04-29-2019 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickwj324 (Post 1804733)
I've found the show to be totally unwatchable. It is one of the worst cartoons on tv. Every time I hear April speak or see Splinter on-screen I cringe. It really is an abomination to the TMNT franchise.

The new generation's Next Mutation. A title which expresses irony as they are not rising,but falling down a peg. Like me just ride it out and ignore it until the next iteration and enjoy the IDW comics. This is probably what the Mirage Purist did with City at War while the '87 cartoon was on CBS.

Autbot_Benz 04-29-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickwj324 (Post 1804733)

I agree I still can't believe we went from the Magnum Opus that was nick turtles to this crap

rickwj324 04-29-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz (Post 1804772)
I agree I still can't believe we went from the Magnum Opus that was nick turtles to this crap

Same here! The 2012 Nick toon is not only one of the best cartoons I've watched but it's one of the best SHOWS I've watched period! Such a great show. It was funny, it was tear jerking at times, it really was a great show that made me care for the characters!
RISE is just.....painful! :(

Powder 04-29-2019 02:21 PM

Just what this section needs- more hate!

:trolleye:

FredWolfLeonardo 04-29-2019 03:01 PM

Somehow, I get the impression that you didn't like it very much :roll:

IndigoErth 04-29-2019 03:35 PM

Well this isn't a cult, so...people are allowed to voice their opinion and give negative critique of something related to a property they otherwise love?

Leo656 04-29-2019 04:12 PM

I stay out of it because I've already said my piece, but apparently this person is just getting around to watching it and felt like giving their honest opinion. I see nothing wrong with that.

I agree that if a person chooses to continually and repeatedly say negative things that they've already said multiple times, then that's a bit of a different story. But I feel like people should be allowed to have their say, especially if they've otherwise not been involved in the conversation. It isn't fair to rob them of their "voice" just because a lot of people happen to agree and have already spoken up about it.

Roseangelo 04-29-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1804819)
Well this isn't a cult, so...people are allowed to voice their opinion and give negative critique of something related to a property they otherwise love?

Hahaha. If only this were true. I got railed in 2014 for hating the Michael Bay movie and keep mum on this series because I know I’ll also get railed for saying what I think.

Not specifically from people on this forum, but “out there.”

CyberCubed 04-29-2019 04:40 PM

The Michael Bay movies and the Turtles being 4 Hulks with nostrils will be by far the worst thing to ever happen in the entire 35 year history of the franchise, even worse than Next Mutation. Rise of the TMNT in comparison is like candy, it's not particularly good for you, but it's fine in small doses.

Leo656 04-29-2019 04:42 PM

I hate the nostrils, but man, that's one of the least troubling things about those movies. :lol:

Utrommaniac 04-29-2019 04:56 PM

The most recent episode is what I had been hoping Rise would be, and I'm very glad for it. While I haven't been that into the series as a whole, I've never hated the experience of watching it. Absolutely looking forward to that Shredder.

(In fact, I got a pretty good laugh out of the "when Jupiter eclipses the moon!" explanation for the Moonshadow Truffles)

But I would take this over Next Mutation ANY DAY.

Coola Yagami 05-05-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman (Post 1804667)
April, back to being damsel in distress, sadly.

Musta been an off episode. Usually this version of April is portrayed as competent or moreso than the Turtles in a fight. 2012 April TRIED, but this one really is the 5th Turtle.

Konchadunga 05-30-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1804841)
The Michael Bay movies and the Turtles being 4 Hulks with nostrils will be by far the worst thing to ever happen in the entire 35 year history of the franchise, even worse than Next Mutation. Rise of the TMNT in comparison is like candy, it's not particularly good for you, but it's fine in small doses.

Bay's movies botched their villains hard, but at least the Turtles and Splinter were respectable; if butt-ugly. Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles feels more reminiscent of Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt than of any other TMNT show I can think of. Not all of the time, but too much of the time. And as to the defense that these Turtles are supposed to start as screwballs and develop into heroes, I say good luck doing that with Splinter in this universe being an even bigger screwball!

There are episodes I enjoy; in fact most I don't outright hate, but most I also can totally do without. The overall arc and characters aren't strong enough to sustain my interest. I have the show DVR'd but I'm sure not intending to go out of my way to watch it while it's premiering.

snake 05-30-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konchadunga (Post 1808066)
Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles feels more reminiscent of Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt

This is supposed to be a bad thing?

Konchadunga 05-31-2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snake (Post 1808067)
This is supposed to be a bad thing?

It is when not taken out of context like that. The bigger issue for me is the part you omitted, about how little it resembles past Turtle media.

Bare in mind that I have a more liberal attitude than many towards this show, but I still have to take issue with just how much filler there is. Granted, lots of shows have filler episodes between the main adventure, but this show barely seems to HAVE a main adventure. Even if I tried to get invested in it, and even if I succeeded, the padding would make me feel betrayed.