The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   How much slack would you cut Bayturtles if... (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57546)

ToTheNines 03-14-2017 04:48 PM

How much slack would you cut Bayturtles if...

Now this is highly hypothetical, but give it a try.

How much easier would you have been on Bayturtles if:

1. They were a photorealistic version of what you expect the turtles to look like.

2. They weren't covered in random trinkets and flair.

3. They weren't 9 feet tall and UGLY AS FU*K.

They still would have sucked, but I think I would have found the movie a bit more palatable. And the general movie going audience might have agreed.

Thoughts?

TigerClaw 03-14-2017 04:52 PM

They would cut them some slack if they had better Writers, Writers who understand TMNT better, The problem is regardless of who writes the movies, Michael Bay calls the shots, He was the one that changed the tone of the 1st movie, after complaining that it was too serious, and then wanting more humor in it.

IndigoErth 03-14-2017 05:59 PM

None of that. I could do with them being not quite as large, maybe no bigger than the average man, but that wouldn't really earn any slack cutting.

The Turtles themselves don't really bother me much anymore. The clothing/gear never bothered me, even if the look of some were a little busy at times. I can tolerate the overdone height and bulk in this one version. (And my fave turned out to be kind of adorable at times - at least in my eyes and esp in OotS - so I can deal.)

If they want slack cutting, it's going to have to be focused on the writing and use of characters (or overuse of non-humans - wtf I meant humans - in some cases). The first film sucks for the PD Turtles, while the story was okay in some aspects. OotS is by far better on the attention and focus they gave to the Turtles, but then the story sucked. Why can't these people do both?

edit: Actually, in terms of their clothing and whatnot, it bugs me most that they were given things that were never used. Such as each of them having a radio on their shoulder in OotS, but never touched it. That it was pointless was annoying.

That could have been played for laughs if, say, the cops heard them on the radios, before ever crossing paths with them, and yelled at them to get off that frequency. lol Only to find out later it was the Turtles they heard. So many lost opportunities.

Leo's throwing knives and those little axe(?) things on Raph's back (that he'd never reach in a million years) is another example. (And of course 95% of the stuff Donnie carries around.) If you are going to give them these tools - USE THEM. Don't just put it there "because it looks cool."

plastroncafe 03-14-2017 06:00 PM

I'd have preferred less clutter in the character design, but honestly...they could look amazing and it still wouldn't change the fact that the story was not so good.

ToTheNines 03-14-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1667700)
I'd have preferred less clutter in the character design, but honestly...they could look amazing and it still wouldn't change the fact that the story was not so good.

Even with AC Farley styled turtles?

TheSkeletonMan939 03-14-2017 06:45 PM

Little to none. The turtle suits from the 1990 movie aren't the best things in the world but that doesn't stop people from enjoying the flick. Bay thinks the opposite is true: people will ignore the bad script if your VFX look neat enough. To some extent he's right. But that philosophy didn't quite pay off for TMNT 2.

ProphetofGanja 03-14-2017 06:47 PM

Honestly, I could ignore the god-awful character design if the story had been something that made sense. Although of course I would have preferred a movie with a decent story AND quality character design. Is that too much to ask for??

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-14-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1667700)

This.

I can get over visuals, but I can't forgive bad writing.

plastroncafe 03-14-2017 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1667708)
Even with AC Farley styled turtles?

Oh it still would have been a wet hot mess of a movie with Farley style turtles, but I'd have bought a dvd for like...icons. Or fanvids or something.

CyberCubed 03-14-2017 09:01 PM

I just hate those goddamn noses and nostrils. They're so goddamn disgusting. They look like Shrek's nose or noses of the Hulk or something.

I remember being mentally traumatized back in 2014 when the Bayturtle designs were revealed for the first time. I was so morally offended by the noses that I sat there ranting what a disgrace it was on a daily basis for like 2 years.

I had never seen something so disturbing and morally wrong before in my entire life as Turtle noses.

IndigoErth 03-14-2017 10:13 PM

Well if that's the worst you ever get from life, then someday I hope you write your memoir and include a long chapter on the terrible impact mutant Turtle noses had on your life. lol

Still not fond myself of the narrower design for Mikey and esp Raph, but I do like the wider design of Leo and Donnie (even if it took me a while to warm up to it).

MikeandRaph87 03-14-2017 10:26 PM

Would it have make it any better in the design of the 1990 film was used and only updated to fit the current technology?

Wildcat 03-14-2017 10:40 PM

The designs aren't my favorite but they don't bother me as as much as others. If anything that's the thing I give the most slack because they're mutant turtles. What they look like is all subjective.

The storyline was just a generic take over the city plot. Which is fine but it just was not interesting. Some action scenes and silly elements like learning martial arts from a book connected everything and that's it.

I liked that the turtles were Aprils pets before when they were in the lab. That's the only thing I thought was kinda cool.

I have not seen part 2 yet.

DestronMirage22 03-14-2017 11:03 PM

I still wouldn't cut them any slack. They wouldn't deserve it. Nothing could've saved those idiotic messes of movies, not even good designs.

sdp 03-14-2017 11:20 PM

The Hulk turtles I actually grew to like, they kind of work in this universe. I can't say I love them but I didn't hate them in the movie.

Now some of the story of April being involved with the Turtles and Shredder coming out of nowhere etc are the biggest problems of the movie.

Jephael 03-14-2017 11:30 PM

I agree with everyone thus far, though the biggest mistake they made was casting Megan Fox as April. She just did not fit the part in both films. In the first one she tried too hard, and in the second one she barely phoned it in. Talk about being on opposite sides of the spectrum.

IndigoErth 03-14-2017 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat (Post 1667758)
I liked that the turtles were Aprils pets before when they were in the lab. That's the only thing I thought was kinda cool.

That always bugged me. I wish they'd made it clear that as a child she just thought of them like pets rather than actually being.

I mean if they really were, how terrible does someone have to be to experiment on their child's pets?? :teek:

I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation." (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it... lol)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1667765)
Now some of the story of April being involved with the Turtles and Shredder coming out of nowhere etc are the biggest problems of the movie.

Although I've always kind of loved the scene where you can sort of see the gears turning in Leo's head and he kneels down like, "Wait, Dad... You always said we were rescued by a great guardian spirit. A hogosha." (Or something like that.) Splinter tells him that this IS the hogosha... And you can kind of see, or at least imagine, Leo getting back up and looking at Megan Fox April like "Oh wtf..." :tlol: (Before being respectful and bowing to her.) That just HAD to be a huge disappointment after all those years of probably thinking it was far bigger and special than that. (Would be a good spot for fourth wall breaking... even the characters know this plot is ridiculous.)

Wildcat 03-15-2017 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1667768)
That always bugged me. I wish they'd made it clear that as a child she just thought of them like pets rather than actually being.

I mean if they really were, how terrible does someone have to be to experiment on their child's pets?? :teek:

I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation." (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it... lol)

Were they actually her pets? I don't remember now.

My issue with this was she cared enough to rescue them but abandoned them in the sewer. Could have taken them to a lake or pond or something. Even the zoo maybe.

Candy Kappa 03-15-2017 02:03 AM

Nope, the story is still trash.

I'd at best probably rewatch a few scenes on youtube now and then if the Turtles at least looked like the Turtles.

neatoman 03-15-2017 06:07 AM

I guess I would be fine with the designs but generally say the movies sucked? Terrible design work is the least of the problems.