The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Batman/TMNT II #1 Preview and Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59230)

bushido 12-04-2017 07:12 AM

Batman/TMNT II #1 Preview and Discussion

Preview here.

oldmanwinters 12-04-2017 07:19 AM

Oh, wow,
Spoiler:
Karai is back in New York and Shredder is apparently in prison.

And... IDW Karai was never referred to as Shredder' daughter, so far as I can remember.

So I guess this cements this mini-series as an alternate continuity from the TMNT ongoing?

neatoman 12-04-2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1732670)
Oh, wow,
Spoiler:

And... IDW Karai was never referred to as Shredder' daughter, so far as I can remember.

So I guess this cements this mini-series as an alternate continuity from the TMNT ongoing?

I guess it would, yeah. There were some questionable continuity aspects in the first crossover, so I guess it's probably best to make it clear that it's not really the IDW turtles this time.

ProphetofGanja 12-04-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1732670)
Oh, wow,
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1732671)
I guess it would, yeah. There were some questionable continuity aspects in the first crossover, so I guess it's probably best to make it clear that it's not really the IDW turtles this time.

It was always specified that this wasn't the main IDW TMNT continuity, but rather an offshoot/parallel universe. I think it was stated in the Ask an Editor thread

I assume that unless something is mentioned specifically, then everything else in these TMNT's universe occurred just as in the main IDW Turtleverse. But it seems as if the aftermath of the Turtles' first encounter with Batman has effects that are still rippling outwards, so this universe will continue to become more different from the main IDW universe over time

Raptor86 12-04-2017 08:35 AM

We all knew about the (non-)canonicity of these Batman crossovers. But what about the IDW reading guide then? http://www.idwpublishing.com/wp-cont...MNTSampler.pdf

neatoman 12-04-2017 08:45 AM

Yes of course we knew that from interviews but the story itself wasn't very clear on wheter or not it was part of continuity.

oldmanwinters 12-04-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor86 (Post 1732678)
We all knew about the (non-)canonicity of these Batman crossovers. But what about the IDW reading guide then? http://www.idwpublishing.com/wp-cont...MNTSampler.pdf

Maybe it's a Splinter Timeline?

But that still wouldn't explain why Karai is identifying as the Shredder's daughter rather than granddaughter.

Weapons@theready 12-04-2017 10:07 AM

Cubed is still going to show up here and talk about it being canon

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 12-04-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1732696)
Maybe it's a Splinter Timeline?

But that still wouldn't explain why Karai is identifying as the Shredder's daughter rather than granddaughter.

They're going with IDW for visuals and maybe some basic story setup, but when IDW diverges from the more mainstream identities (e.g. Karai being Saki's daughter), they go mainstream.

Also, did the first crossover ever mention reincarnation? I don't remember, but I'm willing to bet no.

qt.bangerang 12-04-2017 12:03 PM

Well I though IDW made a mistake not making the first one canon, but now that this really makes it impossible to be canon I wont be picking this up.

Redeemer 12-04-2017 01:58 PM

I honestly think you guys are making a big fuss over something so trivial as to whether this mini-series is cannon or not. Just enjoy the story for what it is. Its pretty awesome how much love TMNT is getting.

Powder 12-04-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qt.bangerang (Post 1732718)
now that this really makes it impossible to be canon I wont be picking this up.

Why? That's dumb. Enjoy it for what it is. I'm glad it isn't, personally.

spookycookies 12-04-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer (Post 1732756)
I honestly think you guys are making a big fuss over something so trivial as to whether this mini-series is cannon or not. Just enjoy the story for what it is. Its pretty awesome how much love TMNT is getting.

I mean I'm going to enjoy it anyhow but I just need to know if I'm putting in with the rest of my IDW TMNT books or just over to the side on its own. I'd love to have it exist in the same universe and be part of my re-read list but it is just a tiny shame.

Andrew NDB 12-04-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer (Post 1732756)
I honestly think you guys are making a big fuss over something so trivial as to whether this mini-series is cannon or not.

Is it really trivial? A crossover with Batman and the TMNT is a big deal no matter what way you cut it, sure... but if it's a crossover with Batman and a made-up TMNT universe, that doesn't really help the IDW TMNT side too much.

Redeemer 12-04-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1732797)
Is it really trivial? A crossover with Batman and the TMNT is a big deal no matter what way you cut it, sure... but if it's a crossover with Batman and a made-up TMNT universe, that doesn't really help the IDW TMNT side too much.

Thanks for making my point, the cross-over in itself is a big deal, not whether or not its cannon. The mere fact TMNT got a cross-over with arguably the biggest hero right now in the comic industry is huge in itself. Complaining about it not being cannon is hyper focusing that is not necessary.

Andrew NDB 12-04-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer (Post 1732831)
Thanks for making my point, the cross-over in itself is a big deal, not whether or not its cannon. The mere fact TMNT got a cross-over with arguably the biggest hero right now in the comic industry is huge in itself. Complaining about it not being cannon is hyper focusing that is not necessary.

It all depends, though. Devil's advocate... let's say it turns out that Batman/TMNT II is very bad. Let's say it makes the TMNT look very not good. Because IDW's label is on it, people will associate it with the IDW TMNT, even though it is not. And if it turns out to be great? People will open up the IDW TMNT comics and feel duped that the Turtles in Batman/TMNT were different/some random other incarnation. Seems sort of lose/lose to me on the comics side, even though just having these caliber of crossovers elevates the "stock" of the TMNT franchise.

DevilSpooky 12-04-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor86 (Post 1732678)

Bobby had this to say about it.

Raptor86 12-05-2017 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilSpooky (Post 1732851)
Bobby had this to say about it.

Ok, this definitely closes the discussion.

Ninjinister 12-05-2017 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1732797)
but if it's a crossover with Batman and a made-up TMNT universe, that doesn't really help the IDW TMNT side too much.

Bruh...

It's all made-up

That's how fiction works

***First of Two Latin Kings*** 12-05-2017 06:41 AM

This was probably done also so that Batman can't just show up in the Ongoing/Main Universe randomly anytime the turtles are in way over their heads. Any guy who would take on Superman would be quite an asset against pretty much any villain Tom and his crew can dream up.

Coming in Winter of 2018: Batman vs. The Pantheon!