The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Do you think gyms are worth it? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59368)

FredWolfLeonardo 01-03-2018 05:58 PM

Do you think gyms are worth it?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...gang1ZAlBD84ZC

What do you think, are standard gyms and fitness centres worth the money and valuable to your overall health/wellbeing or are they simply a waste of cash and overall ineffective?

Powder 01-03-2018 06:34 PM

Can't fight the elite four without going through 'em.

Jester 01-03-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1737859)

FredWolfLeonardo 01-03-2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1737859)

this thread doesn't have many responses yet but this will easily always be the best one :lol:

Utrommaniac 01-03-2018 08:03 PM

I'm more of a "local rec center" kind of person...especially if they have a pool. Swimming would be my preferred form of exercise, followed by biking.

I really can't answer yes or no because it's all up to the people who choose to use them. Whether or not they use their time appropriately, know how to use the machine, or just need their Charizard to obey them past level 40.

Andrew NDB 01-03-2018 08:16 PM

Depends what you're trying to do.

Are you just plain trying to lose weight? Then no, you don't need a gym to do that. Get outside and run 3 miles a day. Pushups. Situps. You'll be fine.

Are you trying to get big and buff? If you're willing or able to invest in some basic gym equipment for your home, then no. If you're unable or unwilling to do that, then yes... you'll need a gym.

Are you trying to meet chicks? I have a couple of buddies that have had great luck with that at the gym. Apparently it's a thing.

plastroncafe 01-03-2018 08:27 PM

Gyms are worth it if you use them.
There was a time when I went 3 times a week like clockwork, but that was when my gym was literally across the street. The further I am away from my gym the less likely I'm going to go to it which is why I've built myself a home gym.

But that home gym doesn't have access to a swimming pool, an indoor track when it's too hot or too cold to jog outside, or various weight machines/equipment.

It also depends on the kind of person you are when it comes to exercising.
I'm a solo practitioner when it comes to exercising, but if you are more social about it maybe a gym is the way to go.

Andrew NDB 01-03-2018 08:31 PM

Though if your main goal is to pack on the muscle, things like being able to run and swim aren't things you want to be doing anyway. You'll want to avoid cardio.

If that's your main goal. It just depends what it is.

Spike Spiegel 01-03-2018 08:42 PM

For me, the gym is a nice way to unwind after dealing with several hours of corporate drudgery. It is for me now what recess was for me in elementary school.

And the rush of endorphins after a good weightlifting session is really something else. Arnold can explain it better than me.

Electric 01-03-2018 11:01 PM

Absolutely. If you’re driven and motivated a gym is perfect. I’m not knocking Home workouts, because those can be effective too. But a gym offers a lot of opportunities to workout not available at home. Equipment you don’t have, no concern about weather, etc.

All the extra stuff like steam rooms, massages, and what not are also great, though I tend not to care about that. A lot of cheap options that lack all of that can still provide everything I need

newfan 01-04-2018 09:19 AM

As many have said, if you use them yes. I'd rather do something like a yoga or pilates class, or swim than use an actual gym.

plastroncafe 01-04-2018 09:28 AM

I really miss being in close proximity to one I could afford. I hate cardio in pretty much all forms, but I really loved the weight machines. There's something so satisfying as knowing that at the end of your reps/sets that you're just done. And all you have to do is count backwards to get there.

I like that.

newfan 01-04-2018 09:55 AM

When I did use the gym I mostly just used the cross trainer, not really worth the membership.

MsMarvelDuckie 01-04-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel (Post 1737888)
For me, the gym is a nice way to unwind after dealing with several hours of corporate drudgery. It is for me now what recess was for me in elementary school.

And the rush of endorphins after a good weightlifting session is really something else. Arnold can explain it better than me.

Daaaamn! That dude was RIPPED back in the day.