The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2014 up for several Razzies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=50776)

D Piddy 1982 01-14-2015 03:51 AM

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2014 up for several Razzies

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2014 is up for a few Razzie nominations...

Worst Picture
Worst Supporting Actress
Worst Director
Worst Remake, Rip-off or Sequel
Worst Screenplay

Details here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30810025

B-Man 01-14-2015 04:07 AM

Fox wasn't "supporting", she was the lead (arguably the films biggest problem). If they actually watched the film they'd know that :lol:

Bry 01-14-2015 07:33 AM

Exciting!! It's got stiff competition, but I believe this movie deserves at least a few.

http://media2.giphy.com/media/aurUBBayxC55m/giphy.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Man (Post 1406470)
Fox wasn't "supporting", she was the lead (arguably the films biggest problem). If they actually watched the film they'd know that :lol:

Lead and Supporting roles, especially for awards, are kind of loose definitions. Fox might have had the most screen time, and have been one of the very few female roles, but they can define it as a "supporting role" if they're basing that on the Turtles being the "main" roles. Clearly that wasn't the case in the actual movie, but they might still define the roles that way.

TheSkeletonMan939 01-14-2015 07:39 AM

Great job, Bay and Liebesman! You earned those nominations!

ssjup81 01-14-2015 08:40 AM

Wow. Those are a lot of razzie nominations, and didn't the movie gross decently?

That aside, I just saw a trailer. The movie will be shown here in Japan in theaters February 7. Should I go see it and understand why the film is being nominated for like all the razzie award categories, or should I just take everyone else's word for it? lol In all honesty, the only part of the movie I did want to see was the elevator scene, but with Leo headbanging. :lol:

TheSkeletonMan939 01-14-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjup81 (Post 1406518)
Wow. Those are a lot of razzie nominations, and didn't the movie gross decently?

That aside, I just saw a trailer. The movie will be shown here in Japan in theaters February 7. Should I go see it and understand why the film is being nominated for like all the razzie award categories, or should I just take everyone else's word for it? lol In all honesty, the only part of the movie I did want to see was the elevator scene, but with Leo headbanging. :lol:

Honestly, I'd recommend just holding out for the DVD release. There's nothing about the theater that heightens the experience of this particular film.

D Piddy 1982 01-14-2015 10:29 AM

Should be a shoe-in for worst screenplay. So many gaping holes. If I didn't already know what I know then I would've been hella confused after watching it...

@ssjup81 I would beg to differ about watching it, I think it is worth watching on the big screen because one of it's strong points are the effects and these can always be appreciated more on the big screen IMO

Vicky82 01-14-2015 10:51 AM

I already did this thread a couple of weeks ago.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=50638

Shiro Kame 01-14-2015 11:12 AM

One of my problems with the movie was April's apparent lack of intelligence when talking with her boss. If she'd shown her the photo she had taken of the turtles, she probably wouldn't have lost her job (she gets it back according to the extended ending on Blu-ray BTW). Also, Karai gets demoted to an extra with barely any personality, and there's barely any connection between the mutants and Shredder for any conflict other than the mutagen. I didn't mind Shredder's second-in-command too much, but he stole too much of the spotlight in my opinion, and Shredder barely got any personality or background.

JoshDA7X 01-14-2015 11:22 AM

Going up against Bayformers and Million Ways.... I don't think it will get a look in!

Birdman37 01-14-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiro Kame (Post 1406573)
One of my problems with the movie was April's apparent lack of intelligence when talking with her boss. If she'd shown her the photo she had taken of the turtles, she probably wouldn't have lost her job (she gets it back according to the extended ending on Blu-ray BTW). Also, Karai gets demoted to an extra with barely any personality, and there's barely any connection between the mutants and Shredder for any conflict other than the mutagen. I didn't mind Shredder's second-in-command too much, but he stole too much of the spotlight in my opinion, and Shredder barely got any personality or background.

You mean the picture that the turtles DELETED? Or the picture WAY off of something that you cant tell wtf it is? Might wanna find another example...

The hate that movie gets is astounding. No where near as good as the original but good lord you would think Bay came and kicked some of yalls puppies or murdered Raphael with how strong the hate is for it. Not even as much hate for Next Mutation or the third movie as there is for this as a whole which is ridiculous.

And after I saw Mel Gibson (for Expendables 3) on that list for worst supporting actors, I stopped reading the rest. The highlight of that movie (one could argue Snipes tho) gets a worst supporting actor nomination? GTFO It seems like if something is considered a "summer blockbuster" type of action movie the movie snobs will **** on it regardless.

TigerClaw 01-14-2015 11:53 AM

I don't really care about these awards since, they mean absolutely nothing, I'm sure the Razzies nominated movies that you loved in the passed.

The Boston Ninja Turtle 01-14-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1406582)
I don't really care about these awards since, they mean absolutely nothing, I'm sure the Razzies nominated movies that you loved in the passed.

actually Razzies have become a fun kind of award in the hollywood world

to be nominated is almost an honor

i kind of want one

IndigoErth 01-14-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Man (Post 1406470)

No, no, you misunderstand... she gets it for being bad at being a supporting role. :P (Yeah ok it doesn't really work that way, but it's fitting. lol)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjup81 (Post 1406518)
In all honesty, the only part of the movie I did want to see was the elevator scene, but with Leo headbanging. :lol:

And that part of it isn't even included, we saw more of the elevator scene in trailers, collectively speaking.

I feel bad for the Turtles, but for some of the film makers.... ptth, nah. Amusing that Bay got his name up there next to Liebesman thanks to his other film.

These awards... good test of Hollywood humility, or so I assume. Ya either show up and accept graciously or look like a jerk. lol

Bry 01-14-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle (Post 1406592)
actually Razzies have become a fun kind of award in the hollywood world

to be nominated is almost an honor

Exactly. Once again:

The only people who have a problem with the Razzies are the arrogant and the humourless.

And honestly, they're actually really fair about what they nominate - they can tend to single out higher-profile stuff specifically, but they do take care to just target movies that are truly bad (or severely flawed). I'm sure some movies I've liked have been nominated -- I couldn't name any offhand, but it's definitely possible -- but if I'm honest with myself, I'm sure any that did have serious problems that deserve to be acknowledged.

EDIT: I actually went through the last 15 years of nominees and the only movie listed that I legitimately enjoy among them is Speed Racer - and even then it's a guilty pleasure thing (it's not a very good movie, but the visuals are so bright, fun and ridiculous that it's fun to watch). So I dunno, I think their track record of nominations is on point.

The Boston Ninja Turtle 01-14-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bry (Post 1406602)

The only people who have a problem with the Razzies are the arrogant and the humourless

double exactly

you have to be able to poke fun at yourself and the things you love...i bet if it wasnt cause people see it as making fun of TMNT they would be ok with it

TheSkeletonMan939 01-14-2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdman37 (Post 1406581)
You mean the picture that the turtles DELETED? Or the picture WAY off of something that you cant tell wtf it is? Might wanna find another example...

It's been a while since I saw the movie, but didn't the turtles erase the pictures off the phone and then run away? And didn't April take a picture of them as they were running away?

So she did have pretty solid evidence of the turtles; she was just way too stupid to pull the phone out for Whoopi Goldberg.

IndigoErth 01-14-2015 01:06 PM

Is this shown on tv? Or is there at least guaranteed video later? I don't really bother with award shows anymore, and never really paid much attention to the Razzies either, but in this case I may have to see how this one goes down.

I hope the TMNT nominees can find it in themselves to be good sports about it. (Though I have major doubts.) After all, you can't always win at everything you do, anyone that can't accept that, well.... :roll:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 (Post 1406613)
It's been a while since I saw the movie, but didn't the turtles erase the pictures off the phone and then run away? And didn't April take a picture of them as they were running away?

So she did have pretty solid evidence of the turtles; she was just way too stupid to pull the phone out for Whoopi Goldberg.

Yeah, they erased the stuff from her phone. Then after being threatened she goes and takes more photos when they leave.

It might have been from a bit of a distance, but it was enough for Eric Sacks to believe what April was showing him.

Bry 01-14-2015 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 (Post 1406613)

She literally went from not showing Whoopi the picture she had, instead solely showing other. far less convincing pieces of "evidence" (and getting fired as a result) to immediately visiting Fichtner's inexplicable New York City mountain estate to show him the exact same picture. No explanation for this is given.

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that they may have edited the scene with Whoopi into the movie out of order from when it happened in the script. Story-wise that doesn't seem to fit, but I can't think of any other reason they'd leave that plot hole where it was.

pennydreadful 01-14-2015 04:31 PM

Realistically though, it's not going to make any difference how many Razzies this movie gets (or Bayformers, for that matter): as long as it makes money, the studios will still keep pumping them out. At this stage of the game, I think we're going to end up with several Bayturtles sequels - I'll be shocked if there aren't a minimum of three Bayturtles movies.

There's still an audience segment that loves Michael Bay, and those people are who he makes movies for. The man's a squillionaire - he's not going away anytime soon, and studios are still going to keep paying him mucho bucks to keep pumping out movies which his fans will throw their dollars at.