The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Kids upset that they didn't give parents consent to put their pics online (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=61112)

Andrew NDB 02-20-2019 02:26 PM

Kids upset that they didn't give parents consent to put their pics online

Some of them suing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...gY-xVPnpGW6lv8

Kenwatanabesclone 02-20-2019 02:32 PM

I don’t agree with the kids suing but if they ask their parents to stop, I think they should stop. I used to get so mad at my mother showing every other person she met ugly/embarrassing photos of me.

FredWolfLeonardo 02-20-2019 02:42 PM

My heeeeeeaaaaaarrrrt gooooess out to the victims.

I'm soooooooooo sooooorrry for them.

oldmanwinters 02-20-2019 02:46 PM

I think some of us saw this coming. Who really wants to have their entire childhood chronicled online for the world to see?

IndigoErth 02-20-2019 02:50 PM

Yeah, that's pretty lame to sue your parents over things like that. This is what good old parent-child arguments are for, not lawyers.

Though it certainly makes a less considered point about the people who are annoying over-sharers of their kids; what with those kids one day being old enough to see the obsessive levels some parents went to.

On the other hand... If this stuff was somehow truly online forever, and not destined to disappear for the most part when its hosting site eventually does, from a genealogical standpoint this sort of thing has a flip side of being a wealth of family info for future generations.

Although I'm also reminded that it will also probably be like this...

Maybe only share what you want you would want your great great grandkids to see... lol

Leo656 02-20-2019 03:55 PM

Kinda makes me glad that when I was a kid, I generally had the foresight to either flip someone the finger OR take out my "D" at random when people would try and take my picture. Not a lot survived that's "shareable". :lol:

Oh, and my parents are dead. That's also a factor.

Prowler 03-12-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1795447)
Kinda makes me glad that when I was a kid, I generally had the foresight to either flip someone the finger OR take out my "D" at random when people would try and take my picture. Not a lot survived that's "shareable". :lol:

Oh, and my parents are dead. That's also a factor.

That's how it was back then. I remember people not liking to get their picture taken on a daily basis. They were afraid of looking bad on camera. Probably because cameras at the time didn't have all those fancy filters that phones do nor was photoshop a thing. :lol:

I have a lot of pictures of myself when I was a kid, but once I turned 15 the quantity of pictures where I show up decreased a lot. Honestly, I don't think there's any pictures of me from when I was 16-21 lying around anymore. Not that there were many of them in the first place, but I ONLY recall taking pictures in that time period if I needed a picture for my bus/metro pass, or my university application, etc. And come to think of it, I don't exactly have many photos of myself from the past 7 years either.You see, I don't exactly find myself in situations where people end up taking my picture and I don't like selfies. I'd rather take pictures of cities or nature.

It's funny. Nowadays it's easier than ever to take pictures or shoot videos, but it's also a lot easier for us to lose our photos since everything is digital nowadays.

It's kind of a shame I don't have any photos of myself from back when I was in my late teens/early 20s, since it'd be interesting to see how noticeable my ageing has been, but it is what it is. I have a feeling I'll reach my 40s and not have many photos or if any at all from my 20s. lying around anymore by then, meaning I'll forget what looking young was like. And if I ever become a father or a grandfather and my children/grandchildren ask me what I was like when I was young, I'll be like "sorry, but I don't have any pictures from my youth" :lol:

Leo656 03-12-2019 06:18 PM

Oh, I love getting my picture taken, I just also love being a general jackass.

Sumac 03-13-2019 12:34 PM

Eagerly waiting for the results of the lawsuit by retard who was pissed off that his parents had bore him into this world.

snake 03-13-2019 12:58 PM

Is that a thing? Can I sue my parents for introducing me to this f*cking world?

Andrew NDB 03-13-2019 01:05 PM

In India, apparently it is.

https://www.iflscience.com/editors-b...him-heres-why/

FredWolfLeonardo 03-13-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

"Raphael Samuel, a businessman based in Mumbai, India, bases the dispute on the belief that it is immoral for a couple to bring a sentient being into the world without asking their permission to do so."

"There's no point to humanity," he added. "So many people are suffering."

"If humanity is extinct, Earth and animals would be happier. They'll certainly be better off. Also no human will then suffer. Human existence is totally pointless."
What a stupid person.

IndigoErth 03-13-2019 01:42 PM

I could almost understand if maybe he was born to really horrible people (though still doesn't make it the right move), but suing them for some personal philosophical viewpoint on life? Come on...

If you don't want kids, then don't. Then you played your part in sticking to your view. But sue parents for having you... lol

snake 03-13-2019 02:49 PM

Anything coming from India is instantly nullified once you realize they literally have designated sh*tting streets.

FredWolfLeonardo 03-13-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snake (Post 1798613)
Anything coming from India is instantly nullified once you realize they literally have designated sh*tting streets.

Refractive Reflections 04-05-2019 01:31 AM

It would really depend on how exploitative the parents are in using their children for monetary gain or popularity (i.e. YouTube children giving their opinions on things). While I'm assuming most parents don't post pictures of their children for exploitative purposes (or at least that's their intention), but rather want to share how cute their children are online and for "sharenting" between friends, as this article describes, the parents should have some discretion about not sharing the details of their children's personal lives to everyone. Otherwise, you might as well title the webpages with all of these pics and stories as "The Personal Photo Album of..." and "Diary of..."

Whether the parents realize it or not, they are already creating an online profile of their children, which can be open to multiple interpretations and perspectives in the world wide web and children are not ready to receive that form of global evaluation/criticism in their lives.

Coola Yagami 04-06-2019 10:58 PM

The weird (and morbid) thing is... if someone is so upset they were brought into this world that they want to sue their parents over it...... isn't murdering them the answer?