The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Movie Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Director FINALLY Comments On TMNT Aliens Issue (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=36982)

Bob 03-23-2012 11:43 AM

Director FINALLY Comments On TMNT Aliens Issue

As I said, I think this deserves its own thread, because this is the first time the actual director, Jonathan Liebesman, has commented. I think a lot of people will calm down, sort of:

http://collider.com/jonathan-liebesm...erview/154499/

Hinting at motion-capture? I would be very pleased with that.

EDIT: You can merge or get rid of this thread. Sorry.

ToTheNines 03-23-2012 12:30 PM

Can't say I'm shocked, I figured Bay was either not fully informed or just taken totally out of context.

Good find though man.

CyberCubed 03-23-2012 12:32 PM

So we have confirmation that the Utroms will likely be the alien race the turtles are from. If this is the case then I guess everything is fine.

Although I bet Krang will be in the movie now.

ToTheNines 03-23-2012 12:52 PM

It was kinda weird how he was talking like the script isn't even done yet.

DarkLightDragon 03-23-2012 12:55 PM

Slighty more reassuring. Never really gave too much thought in what Bay said. Though I doubt this bit of news will get noticed and quell the fan rage.

ToTheNines 03-23-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon (Post 928025)
Though I doubt this bit of news will go unnoticed and quell the fan rage.

Nothing will stop people hating on Bay. This alien talk will likely continue right up until Christmas 2013.

Other interesting notes: Filming in September possibly (hopefully they start sooner), and the movie could be shot in Canada.

DarkLightDragon 03-23-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 928027)
Nothing will stop people hating on Bay. This alien talk will likely continue right up until Christmas 2013.

Other interesting notes: Filming in September possibly (hopefully they start sooner), and the movie could be shot in Canada.

Whoops, meant to say this will not get noticed and people will still rage because Micheal Bay is still attached to the project.

I hate being a newbie.

FearlessLeader 03-23-2012 01:09 PM

Now I am curious what characters will be involved and who will be cast as April and Casey... if both characters are used. I am just glad we can move on to people complaining about something else in this section. I am less concerned with the rest of the internet :tlol:

Candy Kappa 03-23-2012 01:21 PM

as expected

1984TMNT 03-23-2012 01:21 PM

FYI - sounds like this is the route they will be going for realizing the Turtles on screen. Wow....just can't wait! This is going to be a MONSTER of a movie, if they do it right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM9Pvfq1KhE

TMNT is cooler than MOTU 03-23-2012 01:27 PM

His comments put my mind at ease way more than anyone else talking about the movie. He seems to be pretty knowledgeable and passionate so let's hope he has the directing skills and a solid script to back everything up.

Oculus Orbus 03-23-2012 01:57 PM

It feels really good to know. They've got my full attention now.

Andrew NDB 03-23-2012 02:09 PM

I wonder if people are seeing what they want to see in this interview. He isn't saying anything different than Bay at all, he's just saying it a lot more diplomatically. He's not even saying they're not aliens, he's basically just going, "There is SOME PRECEDENT for alien stuff with Turtle origins" and then goes on to... you know... not say that they're not aliens. If anything, what he's saying could be an attempt at a rationalization for making them such.

The good news is that he seems to confirm that things are still early enough along that their origin in the film could be changed. So yeah, you can bet all the scuttlebutt going on online will probably give them pause about alien plans, and apparently it's not too late for them to change gears on it.

Leonardo_Warrior_Turtle 03-23-2012 02:17 PM

Okay, I feel better now. The ooze is alien, which leads me to believe the Utroms may at least be referenced in the film. They will be pet turtles who get mutated. That's more like it! And if WETA gets on boards along with Andy Serkis, then we're in for a treat. If they use them and the story is good along with the action, then we will probably get a sequel, maybe in spawn into a new trilogy.

Cure 03-23-2012 02:20 PM

This is certainly a "no f*cking duh" kinda moment.

Andrew NDB 03-23-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo_Warrior_Turtle (Post 928052)
The ooze is alien

He doesn't say that anywhere in the interview. Not even the existance of any ooze. He's only pointing out the Mirage origin as a rationalization for the "the Turtles are from an alien race" comment while not addressing it directly. In fact, in the next breath he pretty much says they don't even know what the origin is yet.

FearlessLeader 03-23-2012 02:31 PM

To me:

"the expansion will be true to the mythology"

Means something, somehow I don't think turning the guys into aliens is very true to the mythos of what the Turtles is in pretty much any fashion.

BubblyShell22 03-23-2012 03:06 PM

I had a feeling it had to do with the Utroms and nothing else. He may not have said out and out that they aren't aliens, but his comments lead me to believe that it involves the Utroms and that it references the ooze that mutates the Turtles.

Oculus Orbus 03-23-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 (Post 928074)
I had a feeling it had to do with the Utroms and nothing else. He may not have said out and out that they aren't aliens, but his comments lead me to believe that it involves the Utroms and that it references the ooze that mutates the Turtles.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I understood.

Galactus 03-23-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 928027)

As I've said before Bay's words were very deliberate that if the turtles are not aliens in the script he clearly meant to give off that impression to cause controversy, so in that respect he got exactly what he wanted.

His vague reaction to the controversy his comment caused and Liebsman's slighttly reassuring but still not confirming anything bares this out for me.

If however it really was a mistake on Bay's part then I'd say it's troubling that the guy producing and has so far been the public face of the movie doesn't know the very basics of the franchise and thus probably deserved the reaction.

Either way it's not like the guy was liked even before this.