The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Toy/Collectible Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Your opinion about the retro line (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59101)

tipet 11-12-2017 03:41 PM

Your opinion about the retro line

Since they started with the re-releases back in 2009 with the 25th anniversary, I thought it was a great opportunity to get as much figures from the vintage line as possible. The retro collection was a second try to make it real, but it wasn't as long as I expected. Something is failing, and I think the most part of the fans are not excited with this kind of line. I want to know your opinion about the retro line and what was wrong with it, to be not successful.

Powder 11-12-2017 03:59 PM

1. They re-issued the original wave like 3-4 times already. Most people who want them, have them. Most people who want a new one, on card, hunt ebay for the 1988 release.

2. Quality control. Minor factor, but a factor. The colors were slightly off on half of them (including mis-matched colors), villains were at times missing armor pieces, etc.

3. Price point. I only saw them in Toys R Us but they were like, what, $12? $13? Piss off.

4. Missing paint apps on post-88 releases. They dropped a few turtle variants but all of them were missing a large percentage of their paint apps, the worst cases of which being the Leo & Don who were supposed to be wearing camouflage.

5. Accessibility. Like I said, I only saw them in TRU. Maybe they sold in other stores, but certainly not the ones in my area...

6. If a little kid has the choice between getting a TMNT he recognizes, or one that looks different, odds are they're going with what's current. Lotta kids got their parents hand-me-downs anyway, so those who'd be interested may already have them in the home.

dragonside 11-12-2017 04:00 PM

I liked it because that was the time that I started to get back into TMNT.

Although, i was hoping they would continue the line - re-releasing more.

If they went that route, I would've hoped for a full on "second" wave of all the toys. But honestly it didn't have that kind of power without some sort of massive success of the cartoon. i think 2003 did reasonably, however it was on its tail end.

I would've wanted them to release some of the ones that never got a chance. i.e. Jim Lee Leonardo, etc. to build hype.

Sighphi 11-12-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1728129)

3. Price point. I only saw them in Toys R Us but they were like, what, $12? $13? Piss off.

what price were you expecting? They were going to sell them at original price.

Candy Kappa 11-12-2017 04:22 PM

Even with the 25th ann. things where 'off' with canceling Casey. And the Retro line kinda had weird releases with lack of characters and subpar inaccurate paintjob.

Just like with the Classics figures it feels like someone dropped the ball.

Ninjinister 11-12-2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sighphi (Post 1728134)

How about $9-10 like the regular Nick line?

wpugh2424 11-12-2017 05:13 PM

Price points a bit high
Shoulda been like the nick line pricing
The boxes and card backs should be the same
And yea I'd be all in for a full on production of the line but paint apps gotta b done right

IndigoErth 11-12-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1728129)
the worst cases of which being the Leo & Don who were supposed to be wearing camouflage.

This one. I'd been wanting the Lieutenant Leo and since they reissued it I checked that out first... then found an original in real good shape via Ebay instead.

Shame the paint just can't be what it used to back then. But, on the other hand, I guess it makes reissues more easily identifiable.

Powder 11-12-2017 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sighphi (Post 1728134)

I expected TMNT's normal retail price, as anyone would. $8-$10

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpugh2424 (Post 1728155)
The boxes and card backs should be the same

Oh man, totally forgot about this. I understand why they used a universal card to cut production costs, but a BIG part of the charm of the originals was the unique packaging. Every character had their own art. I think the fact they lost that hurt them a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1728157)
This one. I'd been wanting the Lieutenant Leo and since they reissued it I checked that out first... then found an original in real good shape via Ebay instead.

Yeah, I already have one of the originals but was ready to cop a new one as a replacement. You know, just for how clean & fresh it'd be, + accessories. But I didn't end up bothering in the end, 'cause of the pain app limitations.

wpugh2424 11-12-2017 08:15 PM

Yea the art and the card back stories are some of my favorite things regarding the vintage line. I always would read the backs before I opened as a child.

TMNachoT 11-12-2017 08:29 PM

For the retro line, Playmates should have made new sculpts, something like Mattel did with the motu classic line. Releasing again the figures, the way I see, was unnecessary. I mean, it's not hard to find a original vintage Leo, raph or the van and even if you want original moc articles, purchasing the retro ones is not purchasing the real old stuff.

SilverNinja 11-13-2017 11:13 AM

I feel these were targeted towards the adult audience for merely nostalgic reasons. Considering I have all of these, I have no need for yet another release of a figure I already have...without the sentimental attachment.

The same goes for the Leonardo box set containing Leo throughout the years. While a very cool set for display reasons, it royally failed and the set went from roughly $100 to less than $40 at my local TRU.

For myself, I'd mush rather find the original figures loose. The new ones put me off a little bit. However I know many completists might want them in their collections because it's new packaging.

tipet 11-14-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMNachoT (Post 1728211)
For the retro line, Playmates should have made new sculpts, something like Mattel did with the motu classic line. Releasing again the figures, the way I see, was unnecessary. I mean, it's not hard to find a original vintage Leo, raph or the van and even if you want original moc articles, purchasing the retro ones is not purchasing the real old stuff.

But motu is doing the same thing with the new neo-vintage. They have been very successful and Mattel is trying to get into MOTU again to bring these figures to the mass market, so it seems the idea is not bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1728196)
I expected TMNT's normal retail price, as anyone would. $8-$10

Oh man, totally forgot about this. I understand why they used a universal card to cut production costs, but a BIG part of the charm of the originals was the unique packaging. Every character had their own art. I think the fact they lost that hurt them a bit.

Yeah, I already have one of the originals but was ready to cop a new one as a replacement. You know, just for how clean & fresh it'd be, + accessories. But I didn't end up bothering in the end, 'cause of the pain app limitations.

It's impossible to get better paint apps, personalized cards and all the accessories from the vintage figures for $8. It would be nice, but probably not 100% realistic.

TMNachoT 11-14-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipet (Post 1728669)
But motu is doing the same thing with the new neo-vintage. They have been very successful and Mattel is trying to get into MOTU again to bring these figures to the mass market, so it seems the idea is not bad.

It's impossible to get better paint apps, personalized cards and all the accessories from the vintage figures for $8. It would be nice, but probably not 100% realistic.

I was just saying that if you want the vintage stuff, go for the vintage ones, not new stuff using vintage molds.
Me refería a que es innecesario sacar nuevas figuras con el viejo molde, si quieres algo vintage, ve por lo que es realmente vintage.

Powder 11-14-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipet (Post 1728669)

Well they weren't $8 & didn't have personalized cards or full paint apps anyway...

Jester 11-14-2017 07:55 PM

The last release of basic Raph just looked awful....wish I could find a picture.

Shortfuse 11-15-2017 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 1728737)
The last release of basic Raph just looked awful....wish I could find a picture.

Is it the one at the bottom of this page?

http://www.tmnttoys.com/13figures/classics/90904.html