The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Game Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why confusing children? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57951)

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 05-17-2017 05:45 AM

Why confusing children?

Why did the 1989 NES game have the Mirage turtles with all-red coloured bandanas? It's not like most children back in 1989 had any idea of it, so to most of them it was just a "mistake with four Raphaels".

mrmaczaps 05-17-2017 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan (Post 1683275)
Why did the 1989 NES game have the Mirage turtles with all-red coloured bandanas? It's not like most children back in 1989 had any idea of it, so to most of them it was just a "mistake with four Raphaels".

Children aren't as oblivious as adults seem to think they are. They see all and know all, even if they don't yet understand.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 05-17-2017 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmaczaps (Post 1683278)
Children aren't as oblivious as adults seem to think they are. They see all and know all, even if they don't yet understand.

I had no idea of Mirage comics. It was before the Internet had gone mainstream.

Ninjinister 05-17-2017 06:08 AM

I deduced it myself. "Oh! That must be what they all looked like originally."

oldmanwinters 05-17-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1683281)
I deduced it myself. "Oh! That must be what they all looked like originally."

It all made sense once I got a copy of The Official TMNT Treasury and saw the Mirage cover gallery. Plus, Raphael was my favorite turtle action figure primarily because of how well his red mask color scheme worked, so having them all red was perfectly fine with me!

I am glad Konami/Ultra resisted the urge to edit over Dooney's artwork.

DestronMirage22 05-17-2017 09:26 AM

They realized the epicness of that Dooney art. There's a reason why it's been used so much. :)

pferreira 05-18-2017 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan (Post 1683275)

Only the cover as far as I'm aware. In game they should all have different bandana colours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 (Post 1683315)
They realized the epicness of that Dooney art. There's a reason why it's been used so much. :)

It's such a terrific piece of art isn't it? :)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 05-18-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1683311)
It all made sense once I got a copy of The Official TMNT Treasury and saw the Mirage cover gallery. Plus, Raphael was my favorite turtle action figure primarily because of how well his red mask color scheme worked, so having them all red was perfectly fine with me!

I am glad Konami/Ultra resisted the urge to edit over Dooney's artwork.

I am pretty surprised they didn't recolor the masks. Seems like it would have been easy to do, and hard to avoid because marketing decisions.

I wonder what that would've looked like?

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 05-18-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pferreira (Post 1683504)
Only the cover as far as I'm aware. In game they should all have different bandana colours.

Yes, it's only the cover.

Logan 07-30-2017 03:59 PM

As a kid, I just assumed it was an image montage of Raphael training with all the weapons. Didn't give it much thought.

If I remember right, there is a palette glitch in the Shredder fight where your turtle's mask turns red regardless of who you are playing as.

Cryomancer 07-30-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1683506)
I am pretty surprised they didn't recolor the masks. Seems like it would have been easy to do, and hard to avoid because marketing decisions.

I wonder what that would've looked like?

Welp, it felt dirty to mess with a classic, but here's a quick and dirty edit

http://i.imgur.com/Rd7M246.jpg

For the record, this (the original) piece rules a lot. But is also actually somewhat misleading, haha.

edit: well, a little misleading anyway. It's fairly accurate to the issue but thinking of what comes of it later makes it feel a little weird.

DestronMirage22 07-30-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryomancer (Post 1703098)

For the record, this piece rules a lot. But is also actually somewhat misleading, haha.

Doesn't look quite as good like that.

mrmaczaps 07-30-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

For the record, this piece rules a lot. But is also actually somewhat misleading, haha.

Nah man. You ruined it. Not the same vibe at all.

Powder 07-30-2017 07:31 PM

He did a favor to satisfy a member's curiosity. Ease up. His edits are clean.

& if it makes anyone feel better, I'm pretty sure a 'rainbow revision' just like that existed in poster form in the late 80's.

Cryomancer 07-30-2017 08:48 PM

I was saying the original piece rules. I don't really like the edit either.

oldmanwinters 07-30-2017 08:51 PM

Yeah, seems inevitably that Leonardo's blue mask blends too much with that blue background. Red masks all round is still the best way to go!

Shark_Blade 07-30-2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

edit: well, a little misleading anyway. It's fairly accurate to the issue but thinking of what comes of it later makes it feel a little weird.

I actually prefer this colored version than the bland all-red-bandanas version tbh. Great work.

pferreira 08-03-2017 08:51 AM

I don't mind either. It's the art that makes it look great.

Konchadunga 08-06-2017 01:47 AM

It's interesting to look back on how Mirage-esque a lot of the artwork for merchandise technically based on the Fred Wolf show was; even when they had multicolored bandanas. The game art, as well as the toy designs, featured the turtles putting on the beak-warped grins/glares :tmad:, rather than looking giddy and smiley :trazz:. Well, why not; those areas were where the Turtles were actually doing most of their proper fighting. It's kind of like a look at what might have been, had moral concerns not been as big of a deal during the time the Fred Wolf show itself had been made.

Rooish 08-09-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konchadunga (Post 1705171)
It's interesting to look back on how Mirage-esque a lot of the artwork for merchandise technically based on the Fred Wolf show was; even when they had multicolored bandanas. The game art, as well as the toy designs, featured the turtles putting on the beak-warped grins/glares :tmad:, rather than looking giddy and smiley :trazz:. Well, why not; those areas were where the Turtles were actually doing most of their proper fighting. It's kind of like a look at what might have been, had moral concerns not been as big of a deal during the time the Fred Wolf show itself had been made.

Yeah it's weird how the different looks were marketed at the same time. The toys had the "beak-warped grin/glare" too! I remember just taking it in stride as a kid.