The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Amazon Rainforest burning (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=61803)

Klunk1234 08-29-2019 09:33 PM

Amazon Rainforest burning

A huge tragedy! The lungs of the planet have been in fire for more than 17 days. I hope they can be extinguished soon.:cry:

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 08-30-2019 02:27 AM

January 2019

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klunk1234 (Post 1817608)
A huge tragedy! The lungs of the planet have been in fire for more than 17 days. I hope they can be extinguished soon.:cry:

The wildfires in Brazil began already in January 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_A...rest_wildfires

Coola Yagami 08-30-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klunk1234 (Post 1817608)

Sadly people care more about chicken sandwiches. My god, we deserve to have our planet explode, don't we?

Andrew NDB 08-30-2019 09:53 AM

Sounds like this is more or less on par with what happens there every year.

https://medium.com/vizzuality-blog/t...l-5fa430a7880e

I also remember as a kid reading TMNT Adventures #14 and #15 and Jagwar's speech about all the acres being burned everyday and thinking to myself it would all be gone in, like, weeks. I've been pretty skeptical about "oh noes, the Amazon is going away!" news ever since.

Sidenote: the "Amazon Fire" TV promotions everywhere seem suddenly very awkward.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 08-30-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1817642)
Sidenote: the "Amazon Fire" TV promotions everywhere seem suddenly very awkward.

:tlol: Love it.

Andrew NDB 08-30-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1817643)
:tlol: Love it.

"Hot deal." Yikes.

https://i.ibb.co/qpSSdJf/img.png

Prowler 08-30-2019 11:16 AM

The Amazon is the Earth's "lung",basically. So it's definitely a terrible thing. Plus, the Amazon has been getting slowly destroyed for ages now. So it's only a matter of time until it's completely gone, I'm afraid.

Sumac 08-30-2019 12:49 PM

Forest fires are a normal thing. If humans won't meddle with their "creative" solutions in couple of years thing will be fine.

Prowler 08-31-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumac (Post 1817667)
Forest fires are a normal thing. If humans won't meddle with their "creative" solutions in couple of years thing will be fine.

Sure, but this one seems to have gotten out of control. In such a massive forest, a fire can easily spread for kilometres until it's finally detected by someone.

Papenbrook 09-01-2019 01:25 PM

Such a tragic loss of forest-life.

Hopefully, it will eventually recover and heal.

MsMarvelDuckie 09-02-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Not in the Amazon. Read an article that basically there is no such thing as a "natural" fire in the rainforest, and that any fires there are human-caused. And these, apparently, WERE. Started by industrial/logging companies for deforestation to clear land (and also to root out some native tribes), and got out of control due to drier than normal conditions (also caused by human activity). This is NOT "normal!

Redeemer 09-02-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

This fire was man made. Small forest fires are natural if the forest become over-grown I believe??? (Sorry not an ecology expert) But regardless this was man made.

Klunk1234 09-03-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer (Post 1818122)
This fire was man made. Small forest fires are natural if the forest become over-grown I believe??? (Sorry not an ecology expert) But regardless this was man made.

Yes, they are. But they are not prescribed fires, but arson.

Andrew NDB 10-23-2019 11:24 AM

Did they ever put out these fires? I'm assuming they did, but I haven't seen any news report. I also notice we're not suffocating to death yet.

IMJ 10-23-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1823472)
Did they ever put out these fires? I'm assuming they did, but I haven't seen any news report. I also notice we're not suffocating to death yet.

The science regarding how the Earth creates oxygen is pretty amazing stuff. It's not an ongoing daily process. It's actually a build up after accumulation of carbon in plants, to a nearly singular seasonal event whereby the planet takes a "breath" every year around Fall.

Powder 10-23-2019 12:41 PM

Burning? Some rainforest, sounds more like a fireforest or somethin' to me, tss.

IMJ 10-23-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1823486)
Burning? Some rainforest, sounds more like a fireforest or somethin' to me, tss.

grroooaannnnnnnn.....

:lol:

Voltron 10-24-2019 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1823472)

1. No, they haven't. The size of the fires were not only considerable, the cause was cattle ranchers carving out new pastures for herds.

2. That's not how the ecosystem works.

Science is usually boiled down for us to digest. Unfortunately, we lose a lot of the nuance from that process. It's easy to turn "a considerable amount of our atmosphere is conditioned by metabolic processes occurring in the South American rain forest" into "we're all going to run out of oxygen, stop eating hamburgers".

That's obviously not the case. We're not all going to die because someone uses hairspray or drives an 8-cylinder car. The issue is that with continued abuse of the planet's resources, we risk our overall quality of life.

Andrew NDB 10-24-2019 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron (Post 1823525)
1. No, they haven't. The size of the fires were not only considerable, the cause was cattle ranchers carving out new pastures for herds.

Seriously? I'm not yanking your chain, because no one is reporting on this. For several months now a mass fire has been raging there, unstopped? Like literally for months?

Voltron 10-25-2019 05:46 AM

A quick search turned up this from the BBC.

It is still on fire, yes. It's not unsurprising when the size of the rain forest is taken into account. Compare it to the California wildfires that rage for months on end. These types of things take a lot of resources and manpower to get under control, let alone stop completely.