The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Children growing up with the 2003–2009 animated TV-series (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57794)

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 04-19-2017 07:37 AM

Children growing up with the 2003–2009 animated TV-series

Most fans here probably grew up with the 1987–1996 animated TV-series. But did anyone grow up with the 2003–2009 series instead? Or maybe you had children watching it when the episodes were new.

If so, can you please share some memories of fandom (like when watching the series, which toys and videogames you had, and opinions of older versions (back then, not what you think today). Would be great to see the TMNT fandom from that perspective also.

Within a couple of years, we'll probably have a similair thread for the 2012 one.

ToTheNines 04-19-2017 08:20 AM

I was 11 when Things Change first aired, so that kinda counts. But I was already a fan from the old movies, Euro Vacation/Red Sky seasons, the videogames and toys.

I know Snake was a 4kids baby.

FredWolfLeonardo 04-19-2017 08:26 AM

I was 5 when the first 4Kids episode aired.

I wasn't a hardcore fan but I still enjoyed the 2k3 series, the 2007 movie, the 2007 video games and various people on YouTube such as AVGN and Irate Gamer when they talked about tmnt games.

Strange this is, I didn't know the OT existed back then, nor the original movie trilogy, nor that tmnt started off as a comic. I became a hardcore fan during high school when I began watching the Nick series on tv, and it was a great feeling having so many versions to look at as a new fan.

I was so invested when I became a hardcore fan that I used to come up with tmnt stories of my own or have my existing versions of stories to make them more "badass". For e.g. I made up a version of OT season 1 where Krang's Utrom Body was like 2k3 Shredders and after they fail to defeat the turtles, they both use mutagen to fuse themselves into an ultra Shredder who was a mixture of human, tentacles and robot.

CyberCubed 04-19-2017 11:36 AM

I was 16-17 already by the time the 2k3 series started. But now that that was over a decade ago for me, it almost feels like part of my childhood even if it wasn't.

I consider anything I watched before I was 21 to be part of my "childhood years."

Wesley 04-19-2017 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1677817)
I was 16-17 already by the time the 2k3 series started. But now that that was over a decade ago for me, it almost feels like part of my childhood even if it wasn't.

I consider anything I watched before I was 21 to be part of my "childhood years."

Same here. I was born in 1986, so the stuff I grew up with was sandwiched in between the 90s and 00s.

snake 04-19-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1677762)
I was 11 when Things Change first aired, so that kinda counts. But I was already a fan from the old movies, Euro Vacation/Red Sky seasons, the videogames and toys.

I know Snake was a 4kids baby.

Damn right. I watched the show sporadically when it aired but my first real introduction and love for TMNT came with the OT toyline.

CyberCubed 04-19-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesley (Post 1677830)
Same here. I was born in 1986, so the stuff I grew up with was sandwiched in between the 90s and 00s.

My cut-off date for old cartoons is around 2006 or so. That's when Justice League and Teen Titans ended, and TMNT 2k3 was halfway over.

LeotheLateBloomer 04-19-2017 03:15 PM

I was 15 turning 16 when this show aired on the Fox Box. I was really psyched to see the TMNT get another cartoon as I felt that after the Next Mutation, they were to be forgotten. Still my favorite animated version of TMNT to date.

CyberCubed 04-19-2017 03:45 PM

TMNT was also the only show on the FoxBox worth watching for a while, besides if you liked the Kirby cartoon.

ToTheNines 04-19-2017 04:08 PM

God damn, was there some garbage on the FoxBox lol. I only occasionally watched Kirby and Sonic X... they at least had great theme songs.

Fighting Foodons, Cubix, Yugioh, Ultimate Muscle, Funky Cops... all horrid.

Now when TMNT and Spectacular Spider-Man were on the same mornings, on CW4kids, that was A+. Wasn't The Batman briefly on that channel too?

Netkeeper 04-19-2017 04:28 PM

I watched Kirby and Sonic X on the FoxBox sometimes, as well as Ultimate Muscle, but TMNT was the only good thing on it for the most part.

However I think the FoxBox also briefly aired the Shaman King dub? I remember really liking the theme song to it

PApagreg 04-19-2017 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1677896)
God damn, was there some garbage on the FoxBox lol. I only occasionally watched Kirby and Sonic X... they at least had great theme songs.

Fighting Foodons, Cubix, Yugioh, Ultimate Muscle, Funky Cops... all horrid.

Now when TMNT and Spectacular Spider-Man were on the same mornings, on CW4kids, that was A+. Wasn't The Batman briefly on that channel too?

I forgot was Shaman King on Foxbox, I remebering really enjoying that show and Yugioh was a bit of a guilty pleasure

LeotheLateBloomer 04-19-2017 05:44 PM

Yugioh was on Kids' WB from where I lived.

Cyndaquilfan123 04-19-2017 10:16 PM

I was 4 when 2K3 came out, so I was a little young for TMNT at the time, (I still haven't seen 2K3 past the first episode) so my first real exposure was the Nick toon.

Turo602 04-20-2017 08:45 PM

I was 7 when it first aired. I remember I first found out about it during a promo on TV and I was so excited that I was going to have my own Ninja Turtles show to enjoy. My brothers grew up with the 87 version and they still had games, toys, and VHS tapes around, which is how I became a fan. I was always jealous of how much they got spoiled with TMNT stuff during their childhood, from my parents to even aunts and uncles I barely even know today. Unfortunately, I never caught the premiere because my parents decided to take us to Mexico, which happened again when Fast Forward premiered and I was definitely butthurt about it. However, Christmas 2003 was very memorable to me. Nothing but Ninja Turtles that year. I got toys, the battle shell, a sewer lego set, the GBA game, and a T-shirt that came with the game. I still got the toys and the game but I've since lost all the legos.

Prowler 04-21-2017 04:02 PM

I was born in 1990 but rew up with the FW series since reruns aired in my country in the late 90s/early 2000s. I was like 6-7 years old when I first saw Turtle Tracks and watched the whole series around 2003-2004.

But yeah, by the time I watched the first ever FW series episode it was already over, so I guess I'm more of a 2k3 series kid. Naturally my first toys were of the 2k3 series. I remember 2004 Christmas well. A pack of Don, Shredder and Leo and another one of Raph, Mikey and a Foot Ninja.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 04-22-2017 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1678356)
I was born in 1990 but rew up with the FW series since reruns aired in my country in the late 90s/early 2000s. I was like 6-7 years old when I first saw Turtle Tracks and watched the whole series around 2003-2004.

But yeah, by the time I watched the first ever FW series episode it was already over, so I guess I'm more of a 2k3 series kid. Naturally my first toys were of the 2k3 series. I remember 2004 Christmas well. A pack of Don, Shredder and Leo and another one of Raph, Mikey and a Foot Ninja.

But when did you first watch the 2003–2009 series?

Prowler 04-22-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan (Post 1678406)
But when did you first watch the 2003–2009 series?

Around 2003 or 2004. Can't exactly recall.

Drose18 04-22-2017 09:13 AM

I was 4 in 2003 and I remember sitting in my parents room early on a saturday morning flipping through the channels and the first episode I ever saw was premiering. My brother had just been born a couple weeks earlier so my parents were busy with him and I got the TV to myself. The episode "The Way Of Invisibility" was on. I remember loving it so much. Later that weekend my aunt took my cousin and I to Toysrus to get a birthday present for someone and my aunt told me I can get any toy I want. I found myself a "Fightin Gear Raphael" and got to take it home. Ever since Raph has been my favorite turtle.

Zany Orange Dude 04-24-2017 08:42 PM

I was 8 years old when it aired. I saw pieces of the show, but did not start watching it until I was around 10 when it came on after Sonic X (that was the show I was obsessed with at the time). For whatever reason, I tuned in for almost all of the Fast Forward arc though.