The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Best Buy to stop selling CD's in July (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59511)

CyberCubed 02-02-2018 10:15 PM

Best Buy to stop selling CD's in July
 
The end of an era, Target to possibly follow suit:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...-cds-only-when

The all digital future is probably going to be a thing shortly. It might get to the point where blu-rays no longer exists either, all movies/TV shows will be sold digitally or streamed.

Shark_Blade 02-02-2018 11:28 PM

I stop buying CDs ever since I jumped on iTunes bandwagon. Digital era.

"Who still buys CDs?" - Nick Wilde, Zootopia.

sdp 02-02-2018 11:31 PM

I used to spend so much money on CDs, it's where all my money went even though I could download albums on broadband when I was a teen. I stopped buying CDs 12 years ago.

Andrew NDB 02-02-2018 11:43 PM

Not surprising at all. Though I hope the idea of an "album" doesn't become lost to time.

sdp 02-02-2018 11:46 PM

If CDs lasted this long, you can bet DVDs/BR will last another decade easily but it'll continue to become more and more niche as cd's were. I've said this for over a decade now and people called me crazy but look whose right ten years later. I have the right to gloat.

If I can't stream or easily pirate a movie I already own on dvd I just prefer not to watch it than get the movie out, I know it's the same for many, I don't even have a Blu-Ray/DVD player connected to the tv or any blu-rays for that matter . I put my entire DVD collection in a box which I bought so many because it was the cool thing to have in the early/mid 00's. I don't even know what to do with them.

Hell not buying any BRs ended up being a good idea since now we have 4K blu-rays. I may buy some of my favorite films like Jurassic Park on whatever 8k format is eventually released in the future. The eye cannot see beyond 8k so it has to stop there besides other gimmicks like we saw with 3D.

Storm Eagle 02-02-2018 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1743854)
It might get to the point where blu-rays no longer exists either, all movies/TV shows will be sold digitally or streamed.

The last conventional CD I've bought was back in 2009, and it actually was from a Best Buy. I didn't exactly shut the door to buying CDs, but I just haven't been compelled to buy a CD in so long. I have bought six CDs since then, but they were actually reissues of existing albums I already owned, and they either had a bonus DVD or extra tracks. So basically, 2014 was the last time I bought a CD. There are actually two more of those I'd like to get, but I can easily adapt to the ceasing of conventional CD production. Anyway, I guess I'd say my purchases of CDs have slowed since 2005, when I decided to end my BMG Music Service membership since I noticed I wasn't buying as many CDs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1743876)
If I can't stream or easily pirate a movie I already own on dvd I just prefer not to watch it than get the movie out, I know it's the same for many, I don't even have a Blu-Ray/DVD player connected to the tv or any blu-rays for that matter . I put my entire DVD collection in a box which I bought so many because it was the cool thing to have in the early/mid 00's. I don't even know what to do with them.

Maybe donate them?

Utrommaniac 02-03-2018 12:00 AM

Aren't records really big right now too?


(Just give it about...30 years...CDs will revive with the new wave of Them Young Hipsters)

Storm Eagle 02-03-2018 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utrommaniac (Post 1743878)
Aren't records really big right now too?


(Just give it about...30 years...CDs will revive with the new wave of Them Young Hipsters)

Come to think of it, cassettes are actually making somewhat of a comeback.

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/11/...-make-comeback

Utrommaniac 02-03-2018 12:11 AM

Man, all of this AND polaroids.

Next thing you know there will be "special edition" VHSes

Andrew NDB 02-03-2018 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utrommaniac (Post 1743878)
(Just give it about...30 years...CDs will revive with the new wave of Them Young Hipsters)

I don't see any CD renaissance coming. CD's are just data burned into a disc, same as an .MP3 file on a thumb drive (every track on a CD is just an uncompressed WAV file, literally)... records are more tactile. A record player is "feeling" the music it's playing, the needle doing its thing.

It's all bullsh**, of course. Invest in a good, $2,000 Bose sound system, and play those HQ .MP3s at the right level, I guarantee it will sound better.

Andrew NDB 02-03-2018 12:27 AM

Quote:

Hell not buying any BRs ended up being a good idea since now we have 4K blu-rays. I may buy some of my favorite films like Jurassic Park on whatever 8k format is eventually released in the future. The eye cannot see beyond 8k so it has to stop there besides other gimmicks like we saw with 3D.
Watching a DVD on a good HD TV vs. Blu-ray is like night and day. I don't mind the 4k movement. What is frustrating is the streaming movement not keeping up with the quality that's able to be delivered.

What do I mean? You watch a 4K blu-ray, you aren't seeing any compression. You're getting the raw movie, in full quality, at only the limits of your player and TV. There exists no streaming outlet right now that is able to deliver that same guaranteed solid quality without compression via streaming. At all. And if your daughter or buddy starts screwing around on FB on your wi-fi connection while you're watching your movie, it's going to dip down even more.

Krutch 02-03-2018 12:29 AM

Last album I bought was Trevor Something's "Synthetic Love". Mainly because I wanted to support the artist.

What worries me about a completely digitialization of all media is they might stop producing alot of bonus features since that's whats generally used to sell DVDs.

Andrew NDB 02-03-2018 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krutch (Post 1743889)
What worries me about a completely digitialization of all media is they might stop producing alot of bonus features since that's whats generally used to sell DVDs.

That's already happened. And most of the features they do just end up on Youtube, anyway. At this point the studios are actively aiding in the killing of physical media to get to a world where it's the Adobe business model... rent to watch, never own.

Look at "The F8 of the Furious." You want to buy the blu-ray? You can. You want the "Extended Cut"? You have to buy the blu-ray... and the "Extended Cut" is only available to watch via a code within the blu-ray case. Truly infuriating.

Krutch 02-03-2018 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1743890)
At this point the studios are actively aiding in the killing of physical media to get to a world where it's the Adobe business model... rent to watch, never own.

God bless pirates, amirite!!

Storm Eagle 02-03-2018 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1743888)
Watching a DVD on a good HD TV vs. Blu-ray is like night and day. I don't mind the 4k movement. What is frustrating is the streaming movement not keeping up with the quality that's able to be delivered.

What do I mean? You watch a 4K blu-ray, you aren't seeing any compression. You're getting the raw movie, in full quality, at only the limits of your player and TV. There exists no streaming outlet right now that is able to deliver that same guaranteed solid quality without compression via streaming. At all. And if your daughter or buddy starts screwing around on FB on your wi-fi connection while you're watching your movie, it's going to dip down even more.

Well there you go. I still want to transition into 4K myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krutch (Post 1743889)
Last album I bought was Trevor Something's "Synthetic Love". Mainly because I wanted to support the artist.

Mine was Silversun Pickups' "Swoon". The one I bought in 2014 for the new track was Soundgarden's "Superunknown".

Andrew NDB 02-03-2018 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krutch (Post 1743891)
God bless pirates, amirite!!

Hey, I was 200% willing to buy the F8 blu-ray. The "Complete Fast & Furious Box Set" even had the foresight to include a spot in it to tuck the F8 disc in it when it would come out, 6 months in the future. But buying the F8 blu-ray, a disc I'll never watch because there exists a better version but just buy to get a code... to watch the "full version" of it online? What? Why would I do that? Why wouldn't I just pirate it, if I'm just paying money to buy a code to watch an online version I'm just streaming?

Candy Kappa 02-03-2018 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utrommaniac (Post 1743878)
Aren't records really big right now too?


(Just give it about...30 years...CDs will revive with the new wave of Them Young Hipsters)

It's kinda trippy seeing vinyls in stores and USB record players, that isn't these small niche hipster corner shops.

ssjup81 02-03-2018 05:01 AM

Hm, I still buy CDs...I just like having physical copies of things. If your music player or computer or whatever you use for your digital media conks out on you, at least you have the originals to listen to. I also like having cd jacket with the music information and all that stuff for some reason.

I don't think that's going to die out here in Japan, though anytime soon. They still have movie rental shops and CD rentals are a thing here. Ironically, it's still illegal for shops to rent out video games here to my knowledge...thanks Nintendo. >_>

AT-Man 02-03-2018 05:10 AM

Man, I just bought a new CD a month ago.

Shark_Blade 02-03-2018 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjup81 (Post 1743914)
Hm, I still buy CDs...I just like having physical copies of things. If your music player or computer or whatever you use for your digital media conks out on you, at least you have the originals to listen to. I also like having cd jacket with the music information and all that stuff for some reason.

I don't think that's going to die out here in Japan, though anytime soon. They still have movie rental shops and CD rentals are a thing here. Ironically, it's still illegal for shops to rent out video games here to my knowledge...thanks Nintendo. >_>

Buy external hard drives, which are so big in sizes - like terra sizes, so huge really. Do backup, it saves space too; those CDs are cluttering mess I'm happy to not have at all.

Same with pics you took from your camera and phone. Do people still print ALL of them and put in album books? Nope. You'd print only the necessary ones and the rest goes into the hard drives.

Digital is the future indeed.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.