The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Batman/TMNT II #4 Preview and Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59607)

bushido 02-16-2018 06:15 PM

Batman/TMNT II #4 Preview and Discussion

Preview here.

CyberCubed 02-16-2018 06:20 PM

Man, almost legit forgot this mini was still going. Shows how little interest this sequel is generating. :lol:

The art alone makes it worth it though, it's really nice to look at.

MikeandRaph87 02-16-2018 06:25 PM

To small to read...:ohwell:

I want to know when my favorites join the mission. Bring on The Dynamite Duo!

bushido 02-16-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1746796)
To small to read...:ohwell:

View full size on the bottom right.

oldmanwinters 02-16-2018 07:11 PM

Bane gonna bring the Pain!

ProphetofGanja 02-16-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1746813)
Bane gonna bring the Pain!

Yeah, he's totally about to wreck Raph's back/shell

This reads like something from Andrew's worst TMNT and Batman nightmares

That art is pretty sweet tho

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-21-2018 01:12 PM

The only redeeming feature of this series continues to be the art.

The story is dumb, the characterization (both TMNT and Gotham City denizens) is dumb... and even the art is dumb. Seriously, Bane's tiny little pimple of a head atop that giant refrigerator of meat. Why?

The statue of liberty visual is dumb.

The plan is dumb. If they're not going to use Venom to fight Bane, hench-mutants, and an entire army of Venom Foot soldiers... what, exactly, can you do instead?

This is probably the worst characterization of Donatello I've ever seen. And Bane hasn't been this stupid and musclebound since he tried to hit Batman with a rock in the New 52's White Rabbit arc in Dark Knight. :trolleye:

But hey, at least there's a Turtle Van Easter egg. All is not lost, readers!

CyberCubed 02-21-2018 02:33 PM

The art is so good though, I can't look away. Bane's design is ridiculous (why do they make him a mountain of muscle with a tiny head?), but I love the way the Turtles look and Batman.

There's some weird dialogue though:

- Leonardo saying "I hate him, Batman" referring to Bane make me laugh. :lol: Leonardo was just standing there frowning saying, "I hate him." I don't know why but that sounds so unlike a Leo line, especially to just say it like that.

- Bane's dialogue was pretty grating and cheesy throughout. Saying things like, "We'll scorch the Earth so nothing shall grow again." Is this how Bane is written in modern Batman comics? He sounds like a lunatic here.

- Donatello saying he's "not smart" and that using venom is the only way is....out of character. No other incarnation of Donatello would give up like this. Every other Donatello in any of the cartoons/comics would toil in his lab and come up with some brilliant solution after awhile. I could see Raph going the venom route, but not Donnie.

- Statue of liberty with Venom's mask over it, and the Turtles seriously have no idea how to track him?

The part at the end with Karai looking to get her revenge was interesting. Overall though the writer doesn't really have a good grasp on the characters personalities, even though you can tell what he's trying to do.

Andrew NDB 02-21-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja (Post 1746838)
This reads like something from Andrew's worst TMNT and Batman nightmares

It really is. From making Bane a ludicrous, menacing gigantor to the Bebop and Rocksteady factor it's like it was designed specifically to f*** with me.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-21-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1747910)
It really is. From making Bane a ludicrous, menacing gigantor to the Bebop and Rocksteady factor it's like it was designed specifically to f*** with me.

So what did you do to piss off James Tynion IV? :tlol:

neatoman 02-21-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1747910)

What about the pointless Stockman-Fly mutation that came out of nowhere?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-21-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1747916)
What about the pointless Stockman-Fly mutation that came out of nowhere?

Eh, that doesn't piss me off. I look at it as a nice safety valve. IDW did it in this crossover, so now it never ever EVER has to happen in the main ongoing. :tlol:

myconius 02-22-2018 12:06 PM

i have to say this sequel Batman/Tmnt has been a huge let-down.

feels like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon.
even more-so than the Batman/Tmnt Animated adventures cross-over. i think i actually prefer that one over this!

Redeemer 02-22-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myconius (Post 1748072)
i have to say this sequel Batman/Tmnt has been a huge let-down.

feels like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon.
even more-so than the Batman/Tmnt Animated adventures cross-over. i think i actually prefer that one over this!

I just hope they finish the mini-series better than the first one, That was a huge let down at the end.

This one has started out slow and the premise was not appealing at all, but after issue #3 and #4 I am really enjoying this mini. I love Damian in this series, especially his interaction with Raph. :lol:

myconius 02-22-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer (Post 1748114)
I just hope they finish the mini-series better than the first one, That was a huge let down at the end.

This one has started out slow and the premise was not appealing at all, but after issue #3 and #4 I am really enjoying this mini. I love Damian in this series, especially his interaction with Raph. :lol:

i'm gonna stay hopeful, but definitely not going to hold my breath. :P
after that scene with the statue of liberty i was like- "AY CARAMBA!!" :lol:

yeah. i really hope they don't pull what they did last time.
"btw...i just did ALL this cool stuff. but it happened OFF panel."

well, i see Nightwing on one of the covers, so at least there's that to look forward to.

ChosenOne 02-22-2018 03:14 PM

So far, not the best of the IDW-era crossovers. I'd even venture to call it the worst. Makes quite a case against decompression, features a severely OOC Donatello, and now Karai comes into play again only in the last couple of issues? Meh. Art is great, though it feels wasted on this approach to the story.

Redeemer 02-22-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myconius (Post 1748144)
i'm gonna stay hopeful, but definitely not going to hold my breath. :P
after that scene with the statue of liberty i was like- "AY CARAMBA!!" :lol:

yeah. i really hope they don't pull what they did last time.
"btw...i just did ALL this cool stuff. but it happened OFF panel."

well, i see Nightwing on one of the covers, so at least there's that to look forward to.

I will take a statue of liberty base over turning every Batman rogue into a mutant

myconius 02-22-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer (Post 1748158)
I will take a statue of liberty base over turning every Batman rogue into a mutant

good point! :lol:

reflecting on the events from both minis, i'm wondering if i enjoyed the first Batman cross-over as much as i though i did?

or was i too busy geeking out because my favorite comic characters were teaming up? :P

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-22-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer (Post 1748158)

Same. Hated that. "Oh look, everybody's a toy--sorry, mutant--now!" :trolleye:

myconius 02-22-2018 06:14 PM

eh! both these Tynion Batman/Tmnt cross-overs are Saturday morning kiddie cartoon fodder.
as soon as i saw Baxter acting like an obedient lackey then get mutated into a fly i gave up all expectations.