The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mirage vs IDW (part Uno) (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54266)

Allio 01-16-2016 06:40 PM

Mirage vs IDW (part Uno)

you know what, let's do it. let's have a vote of which was better between Mirage and IDW...though for this, it will only be part 1 of both series (Vol 1. Mirage vs Up to 50 of IDW)

MikeandRaph87 01-16-2016 06:42 PM

IDW started off slow, but by their first fight with Shredder I saw sold. Beyond RTNY I don't care for Mirage. In other words IDW wins this handily for me.

Mewzard 01-16-2016 07:57 PM

I have to go with Mirage Volume 1.

IDW might be more consistently good, but the Eastman and Laird issues alone are the absolute pinnacle of TMNT to me.

That said, IDW is quite enjoyable and I've just begun rereading it today (read issue 1 earlier).

mrmaczaps 01-16-2016 08:22 PM

Mirage, the origin of the Turtles... Eastman & Laird together. The more mature look of their Turtles (& most of the others drawing them in the later issues)...

IDW is a great read and a great mishmash of all previous incarnations, but it wouldn't be without Mirage.

CyberCubed 01-16-2016 08:53 PM

If we're speaking as a whole, IDW, but in terms of the best Mirage stories (#1-11, Return to New York, City at War, and maybe of the one-shots), than Mirage.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 01-16-2016 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1538662)
If we're speaking as a whole, IDW, but in terms of the best Mirage stories (#1-11, Return to New York, City at War, and maybe of the one-shots), than Mirage.

He doesn't do it often, but by all that's holy, Cubed spoke MY EXACT OPINION. It's bizarre.

Maybe Cubed is me from a parallel reality. :teek:

Nortock Diab 01-17-2016 04:07 AM

Mirage with no hesitation (1-11, RTNY, City at War, guest issues such as The River...).
From what I read of IDW, it is good yet rather tasteless compared to Mirage vol.1.

The real turtles are and will always be Mirage's anyway :tgrin:.

Candy Kappa 01-17-2016 04:44 AM

I prefer Mirage over IDW.

Panda_Kahn_fan 01-17-2016 04:41 PM

A well written saga in full color with all the characters I love....yeah, no brainer here.

Powder 01-17-2016 08:57 PM

Do you have to put down Mirage every time you bring it up? :trolleye:

myconius 01-17-2016 09:54 PM

as much as i absolutely love the IDW TMNT, Mirage Studios was the Genesis of something truly amazing!!!

without that series, none of these conversations would even be happening right now!

i will have to also add the IDW series earns extra love for keeping the franchise going and gaining momentum (as does the Nick Cartoon)
but the Black and White comics are what i first fell in love with, and still enjoy reading over and over today!

Cipher 01-18-2016 12:31 AM

I dropped off with IDW before #50, though I've read most of it.

It's a fine series and will undoubtedly be a more thrilling read for a certain type of audience. But nothing in it has left me feeling one tenth of what "City at War" or even one-offs like "Sons of the Silent Age" provide.

Casey 01-18-2016 06:16 PM

Wow Allio, you really are a mad scientist. I just can't vote. I can't do it.

TMNTChris1980 01-18-2016 08:03 PM

Mirage, the Volume 1 stuff is just perfect TMNT.

I really liked IDW a lot in the beginning. Now I'm not as into it. Before it was a new take on the TMNT that I really dug. Now it is like they're trying to make a PG-13 version of the Nick toon.The art has gotten softer. Hoping that it starts getting darker with harsher artwork...if that makes any sense.

Powder 01-18-2016 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMNTChris1980 (Post 1539140)
Now it is like they're trying to make a PG-13 version of the Nick toon.The art has gotten softer. Hoping that it starts getting darker with harsher artwork...if that makes any sense.

What color is the sky in your world?

discordiatookie 01-19-2016 01:11 AM

Wow, that's a very close poll. 19 - 18 with Mirage winning as I write this. Great testament for IDW, they're doing awesome things with the book. I did vote Mirage, I have a great love for those stories.

shuriken 01-19-2016 05:35 AM

My mind says IDW but my heart says Mirage. gotta go with Mirage

TMNachoT 01-19-2016 06:47 AM

Mirage anytime but not the guess era

myconius 01-19-2016 12:00 PM

i had to vote Mirage Vol. 1, but both comic series are awesome!!!

reading some people's opinions on the subject... there are some very "interesting" points of view out there!!! :lol:

MrTrikey 01-19-2016 05:09 PM

IDW, but only by the slimmest of margins.

I guess what it really boiled down to was how I feel like IDW made sure that every central character felt fully realized, and still had a good deal of energy left over to roll over to secondary characters like Hob, Stockman, Angel, Slash and so on. Even Eastman & Laird admitted that while Leo, Raph and Don got their fair share of development, it took a while for Mikey to really get up to speed and stop being an auxiliary character who played off of his bros. And he was part of the main four!

Still, Volume 1 is still very much a classic. And there's nothing changing that! :D