The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   General TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   On a scale from one to ten, how terrible are Bebop and Rocksteady? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59311)

neatoman 12-20-2017 06:32 AM

On a scale from one to ten, how terrible are Bebop and Rocksteady?
 
What it says in the title, "terrible" as in poorly written and/or annoying, not some other definition of that word. For the sake of simplicity, let's just try to stick to the FW versions, as they are the most prominent.

Coola Yagami 12-20-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1735671)
What it says in the title, "terrible" as in poorly written and/or annoying, not some other definition of that word. For the sake of simplicity, let's just try to stick to the FW versions, as they are the most prominent.

It's hard to say because at the time, dumb and unreliable henchmen were kind of a thing. Back then the bad guys were either all stupid, or they had a smart one and a dumb one, or we had a serious boss but he was stuck with dumb underlings. Shredder, of course, was the serious boss in this case (somewhat), so he got stuck with the stupid underlings.

In some episodes they were better than others. Sometimes they got so bad they could barely walk across a room without tripping all over themselves. The episode that bothered me the most was when they were with their old gang and they were actually afraid of them, despite the fact that as friggin mutant animals they should be able to take their old gang down like nothing.

I'd say 9 out of 10. At least their voices weren't as annoying as Scratch and Grounder.

plastroncafe 12-20-2017 08:54 AM

Which is the high-end? And which is the low end?

Because I'd like to give them one of the lowest scores possible, but I'm not sure which Way on the Spectrum to vote

neatoman 12-20-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1735697)
Which is the high-end? And which is the low end?

Because I'd like to give them one of the lowest scores possible, but I'm not sure which Way on the Spectrum to vote

1 is not very terrible, 10 is the most terrible.

Coola Yagami 12-20-2017 10:43 AM

I change my 9 to a 2.

pferreira 12-21-2017 04:59 PM

Terrible?! They were terrific! They were one of the key components of the FW series. Fun and funny characters and always great to see. You can have your mad scientist episodes, those two were hilarious. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1735692)
I'd say 9 out of 10. At least their voices weren't as annoying as Scratch and Grounder.

To be fair they were supposed to be, that's what made them getting blown up etc so funny.

plastroncafe 12-21-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1735700)
1 is not very terrible, 10 is the most terrible.

Then my vote goes to eleven.

FredWolfLeonardo 12-21-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1736054)
Then my vote goes to eleven.

And mine would be 0.

pferreira 12-21-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1736056)
And mine would be 0.

If I could pick 0 I would. They were awesome. :)

plastroncafe 12-21-2017 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1736056)
And mine would be 0.

Hooray! Yay for us!

Utrommaniac 12-21-2017 06:23 PM

I went for a 4.

If only because their potential for FW on their own had some missed opportunities. And especially for the points that they were actually really witty - which is when I liked them at their best.

Especially the "snow day" bit.

Donnie 12-21-2017 07:07 PM

10. I can't stand them in any iteration, cartoon, movie, or comic.

neatoman 12-21-2017 07:20 PM

Hm, interesting. So far opions are more polarised than I expected.

CyberCubed 12-21-2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie (Post 1736080)
10. I can't stand them in any iteration, cartoon, movie, or comic.

What's wrong with Nick or IDW's versions? They're all fairly different from one another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1736085)
Hm, interesting. So far opions are more polarised than I expected.

That's only because if you click the poll choices, sdp jokingly voted for every single option. Because the poll is irrelevant really to the type of role they had in the series.

neatoman 12-22-2017 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1736091)
That's only because if you click the poll choices, sdp jokingly voted for every single option. Because the poll is irrelevant really to the type of role they had in the series.

No it isn't, either you like them, you don't like them or you have mixed feelings about them. What role they actually played is what's irrelevant here. The hate Jar Jar Binks garners isn't really relevant to his role in the movie, but it doesn't change that people hate him.

IndigoErth 12-22-2017 10:19 AM

I'm just going to go for the middle at a 5. Not fantastic, nor awful. The ways that they are "terrible" have always seemed, in my view, very intentional, so it's a rather fake "terrible." They were what they were intended.

pferreira 12-28-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1736085)
Hm, interesting. So far opions are more polarised than I expected.

You expect everyone to hate Bebop and Rocksteady? Really? :roll:

plastroncafe 12-28-2017 09:43 AM

I would expect a normal distribution of responses personally.
That things are polarized is pretty interesting.

MrPliggins 12-28-2017 10:35 AM

They were fine for the show they were in. But I kind of agree with Laird that they should've been left in the '80s. The characters right down to their names are epitomes of the '80s. That being said I haven't read much IDW, so they may be utilized well there.

inaheap 12-28-2017 02:59 PM

I will say that sometimes they seemed a little too dumb, but most of the time they were the bungling brawn I wanted them to be as a kid.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.