The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What sort of difficulty do you enjoy in your games? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59291)

Prowler 12-16-2017 10:57 AM

What sort of difficulty do you enjoy in your games?

Above all else, we play games to entertain ourselves. What level of difficulty seems to appeal you the most?

Difficulty to me has to be fair. Not cheap. I like some challenge and tension, but not something I'm unlikely to beat. Mega Man games are probably the hardest I go for. So I guess this means I better never touch Dark Souls :lol:. The hardest game I've "beaten" was probably F-Zero GX. I beat the story mode and the GP cups in every difficulty setting back in 2004.

When a game is too easy it also isn't that enjoyable. I mean, when it's easier at least I can go through the game and play most levels, but lacks that "kick". I felt this way about Wind Waker. I never saw the Game Over scene of that game and barely felt in danger during the game. Ocarina and A Link to the Past at least gave me that "kick".

What about you?

FredWolfLeonardo 12-16-2017 11:27 AM

Depends on the game.

I always like a challenge when playing more traditional games like Pokemon. Recently in Pokemon Crystal, I made it a goal for myself to beat Red the final boss (with level 70-80 Pokemon) with my under level 50 team.

It was so hard and frustrating, but I somehow miraculously managed to do it with the help of 50 full restores/revives and the satisfaction was unparalleled.

oldmanwinters 12-16-2017 02:00 PM

Easy to learn, difficult to master.

CyberCubed 12-16-2017 02:04 PM

I just play on normal difficulty on all games. I don't understand why people make a big deal out of this. If you want to punish yourself with extremely hard difficulties go ahead, but ever since becoming an adult I don't have time or patience to master one game over and over instead of playing new games.

Occasionally there are also some really cheap moments in games, where if given the option, I lower the difficulty to easy just for that one particular segment, and then bring it back up to normal after I get passed it. But not all games let you change difficulty in the middle of a game, so you can't always do that.

When you see these extremely ridiculous youtube runs with people doing "no hit runs" where they make it through an extremely hard level or boss without taking a single hit...I ask myself, why on earth would anyone torture themselves like this for countless hours perfecting their skill? When you stop playing or move onto another game you're bound to lose all your skill anyway. Hell I used to be able to beat games like Goldeneye 007 on N64 on 00 difficulty and unlocked all the cheats in time trial runs when I was only like 13-14 years old. I sure as hell couldn't do that today even if I tried.

Sumac 12-16-2017 03:48 PM

Depends on a game.
Generally I prefer a game to pose a decent challenge, but not overly so.
There is a fine line between "fair difficulty" and "unfair hairtearing difficulty".

There are some games, where challenge is the core concept of the game, though. Now I play those obviously to challenge myself.

sdp 12-16-2017 03:51 PM

Games have gotten easier every console generation, it's pathetic. Now I don't really have strong feelings either way since I don't have time as I did as a kid to replay stuff so I don't mind it at all but yeah some games have become a joke *old man yells at cloud*

Wesley 12-16-2017 03:55 PM

Normal difficulty. It’s just about right for me. Like CyberCubed, I don’t have the time or patience for harder difficulties as an adult.

Hardest game I beat was Yugioh Reshef of Destruction. Decent but frustratingly hard game.

Shark_Blade 12-16-2017 04:10 PM

The hardest for my fav games. Normal for standard games. Easiest for tedious/button mashing games.

Cure 12-17-2017 08:01 PM

I've beaten every Halo game on Legendary in online co op, but besides that, I usually don't care to make games more difficult, so normal for me. I dislike games that are hard by design, so no Dark Souls or Mega Man for me.

Difficulty **** are some of the worst people.

PApagreg 12-17-2017 09:46 PM

I like a bit of a challenge when it comes to my games. I don't play modes where if I die I have to start over but most of the time I do get a sense of accomplishment when I beat a hard game.

Love me some the Soul series

Prowler 12-18-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1735128)
I just play on normal difficulty on all games. I don't understand why people make a big deal out of this. If you want to punish yourself with extremely hard difficulties go ahead, but ever since becoming an adult I don't have time or patience to master one game over and over instead of playing new games.

Occasionally there are also some really cheap moments in games, where if given the option, I lower the difficulty to easy just for that one particular segment, and then bring it back up to normal after I get passed it. But not all games let you change difficulty in the middle of a game, so you can't always do that.

When you see these extremely ridiculous youtube runs with people doing "no hit runs" where they make it through an extremely hard level or boss without taking a single hit...I ask myself, why on earth would anyone torture themselves like this for countless hours perfecting their skill? When you stop playing or move onto another game you're bound to lose all your skill anyway. Hell I used to be able to beat games like Goldeneye 007 on N64 on 00 difficulty and unlocked all the cheats in time trial runs when I was only like 13-14 years old. I sure as hell couldn't do that today even if I tried.

Funny thing is, I'm a better player nowadays than when I was a kid. As a kid even some easier games seemed a lot harder.

As for classic games I'm yet to beat, I still haven't been able to beat Super Mario Bros. 3 after all these years lol. That or the first ever Zelda game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cure (Post 1735312)
I've beaten every Halo game on Legendary in online co op, but besides that, I usually don't care to make games more difficult, so normal for me. I dislike games that are hard by design, so no Dark Souls or Mega Man for me.

Difficulty **** are some of the worst people.

I think the only NES MM games I have not beaten were 4 and 6. Haven't played much of 6, though. Mega Man games indeed are challenging but they're definitely beatable. NES CastleVania games are much tougher, imo. As is the original TMNT NES game... although those games's difficulty is more due to game design flaws. NES has a lot of games that are unfairly hard.

Coola Yagami 12-19-2017 08:56 AM

I guess, tough but not impossible. I (somehow) beat MM2, 4, 5 and 6. I say somehow because going back to play them I have no idea how the hell younger me did it. I can beat the first Sonic, Mario 2 and World.

Idk, I'm not that good in videogames, so I guess I like tough but not super impossible. The kinds of games i hate the most as the one hit and you die kinds. Or games with no continues. Double Dragon 3 is damn impossible because you only have one life and one continue unless you're good enough to beat the second stage boss in which he'll join you and become your second life.

Prowler 12-19-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1735543)
I guess, tough but not impossible. I (somehow) beat MM2, 4, 5 and 6. I say somehow because going back to play them I have no idea how the hell younger me did it. I can beat the first Sonic, Mario 2 and World.

Idk, I'm not that good in videogames, so I guess I like tough but not super impossible. The kinds of games i hate the most as the one hit and you die kinds. Or games with no continues. Double Dragon 3 is damn impossible because you only have one life and one continue unless you're good enough to beat the second stage boss in which he'll join you and become your second life.

Mega Man 2 is actually the easiest of the first six Mega Man games, imo. It's challenging but pretty fair, imo. 1 is the toughest by far. 3 is also hard, but I managed to beat it often around 2007-2008 on the Anniversary Collection. For some reason it felt easier there. Maybe because it had a button that allowed you to spam MM's mega buster. But on the legacy collection? **** that. Only managed to beat 2 thus far on it.

DKC also gave me a lot of trouble and I haven't beaten DKC2 yet. SMW is not very hard to beat. The hardest part is finding all 96 or so exits.

Have you beaten any of King of Fighters games? I sure as hell haven't :lol:

DarkFell 12-19-2017 09:42 AM

Pretty much where the red arrow is pointing at.
http://www.geekbomb.net/wp-content/u..._MS-DOS_05.png