The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Official Ep Discussion: #9 "The Gauntlet" aka "Enter Shredder" (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40093)

Machias Banshee 11-14-2012 09:28 PM

Official Ep Discussion: #9 "The Gauntlet" aka "Enter Shredder"

Alrighty, let's give this a go!

So, April is a little more than shocked to get a warning from her dad - from a giant mutant pigeon of all things. Apparently, the Kraang have something up their collective sleeves, and it involves mutagen and the NYC water supply.

Scary mutant thing out to poison the water, only to be stopped by other scary mutant thing... sounds a lot like Dreamcatcher by Stephen King.

After seeing this week's preview with Pete the giant pigeon, I can't imagine trying to take a walk in a park with a flock of mutant birds flying overhead. It'd be like getting pooped on by a pterodactyl... or Big Bird. But it shows that there's only going to be more problems of the Kraang doing their weird experiments in the dark alleys of the city.

The question I have is... how will the Shredder fit into all of this? We know so little about Shredder at this point. We saw a (fairly young and handsome) picture of Saki from the episode of Mike and Chris Bradford... that photo has intrigued many ever since it first appeared. There's going to be a history between Saki and Yoshi unlike anything we've seen on TV.

So, first impressions: Shredder is horribly scarred, and he's got some sort of skyscraper in use in the center of the city. But he's coming with the intention of getting Splinter once and for all. Is his physical state the result of something that happened between the two? Perhaps he was injured during the major fire that killed Tang Shen and cost Yoshi his daughter? Perhaps we'll have a little bit of the financial powerhouse that Shredder was in the 2K3 series. Perhaps he's looking at TCRI as a financial ally? Or weapons developer...

Also, some people are predicting that this episode may be the one where we see Bradford and Xever possibly get mutated into Dogpound and Fishface, respectively. While I'm looking forward to what the writers have in store for us, I personally like the idea of having more human villains.

Bradford is SO well known in the martial arts circles, there would have to be some sort of way for him to use that to his advantage - TV, social media, local live events. Xever's more important in the lower levels of society, in the gangs and prisons. He could have a major network of bad guys to collaborate with, if he had the reputation to be that kind of leader.

I think the most dangerous villain is one that has the power to influence public opinion. Anyone remember Dregg from the OT? Or Shredder from 2K3? It's all about the people you know...

So,

WILT THY EVIL SHREDDER COMMETH AND MERRILY SMOTE MANY A TURTLE?!
CAN APRIL FIND HER DAD BEFORE SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS TO HIM?
AND WILL MIKE SURVIVE THE 'TRAUMA' OF A GIANT PIGEON PROBING HIM FOR BREADCRUMBS?!

Stay Tuned!!!

Machias Banshee 11-17-2012 07:59 AM

We're Open!

*runs!*

marcelangelo 11-17-2012 08:22 AM

hey, why do some assume that here rad brad and xever will be mutated?I cant follow this somehow...advice would be welcome, compadres!)...
I hope we get another motion comic scene in this episode!wishing all of you who are able to watch this in a few minutes mucho fun!looking forward to read your thoughts and observations!...
booyakashaa!

oldmanwinters 11-17-2012 08:35 AM

It's pretty cool that the Nick Turtles Vs. Foot campaign admits this episode is an intentional reference to Fred Wolf episode, "What's Michaelangelo Good For?"

Nice concept art too!

NinjaMan 11-17-2012 09:29 AM

LOL gotta love Mikey and the smoke bombs. So close to saving her dad. And now we have Fishface and Dogpound!!!!!! And Shredder!!!!!! He kicked the Turtles butts! And was about to kill them all! Wow! I love t his show! Shredder is no joke!

oldmanwinters 11-17-2012 09:31 AM

I really liked this episode. I thought the promise of mutant pidgeon, mutation of Bradford & Xever, Kraang bomb plot, AND the turtles' 1st encounter with Shredder wok be too much plot for one episode, but it didn't feel overambitious at all. Great episode!

marcelangelo 11-17-2012 09:32 AM

oh man, dudes!more, more, MORE information!!who knows when some of us over here will be able to see it;)...
sounds like a pretty b b b bb baaaaad episode!!!;)

chrisdude 11-17-2012 09:32 AM

FAJKDHLFEHFLK FAEJKLF FEWFGILWFN FWQIELF
:teek::teek::teek::teek::teek:

Donatello19 11-17-2012 09:33 AM

Best episode so far IMO. Shredder was epic and at first I thought they were going to end the battle leaving Shredder hanging from the building, but for the first time in the series so far, the turtles actually lost. Shredder is a foe that is no joke. I also can't wait to see Dogpound and Fishface in action. One thing that I thought was very stupid however, was the pigeon. Whats the point of making a mutant if they're only going to be in the episode for like, less than 5 minutes?
EDIT: Why was this episode titled "The Gauntlet"? What does that even mean?

NinjaMan 11-17-2012 09:33 AM

Shredder was so awesome! The fight was pretty intense. And I like how the scene seemed dark.

Jephael 11-17-2012 09:35 AM

Awesome episode! I loved every second of it! BTW, did anyone catch the clever old toon reference with the hotel's name?

marcelangelo 11-17-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donatello19 (Post 1022888)
Best episode so far IMO. Shredder was epic and at first I thought they were going to end the battle leaving Shredder hanging from the building, but for the first time in the series so far, the turtles actually lost. Shredder is a foe that is no joke. I also can't wait to see Dogpound and Fishface in action. One thing that I thought was very stupid however, was the pigeon. Whats the point of making a mutant if they're only going to be in the episode for like, less than 5 minutes?
EDIT: Why was this episode titled "The Gauntlet"? What does that even mean?

the blades on shredders hand that can spring load in this version are called a gauntlet..

chrisdude 11-17-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcelangelo (Post 1022891)
the blades on shredders hand that can spring load in this version are called a gauntlet..

I figured it was more like the expression, "throw down the gauntlet," as in, the challenge someone to a battle.

tmntfan4ever 11-17-2012 09:44 AM

i think the title of the episode is more based on the turtles having went thru a list of events in one episode hence the gauntlet as opposed to the obvious which is the shredder's gauntlet..
Spoiler:
the turtles had to try & rescue April's dad, disarm a mutagen bomb, face & defeat Xever & Bradford and finally confront the shredder... which was in Mikey's words.. it was epic :tgrin:

Donatello19 11-17-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcelangelo (Post 1022891)

Oh, OK. Thanks. I still think they could have made a better title for the episode though. It's not like Shredder's gauntlet was a major plot point or anything.

Jephael 11-17-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmntfan4ever (Post 1022895)
i think the title of the episode is more based on the turtles having went thru a list of events in one episode hence the gauntlet as opposed to the obvious which is the shredder's gauntlet..
Spoiler:
the turtles had to try & rescue April's dad, disarm a mutagen bomb, face & defeat Xever & Bradford and finally confront the shredder... which was in Mikey's words.. it was epic :tgrin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donatello19 (Post 1022896)
I still think they could have made a better title for the episode though. It's not like Shredder's gauntlet was a major plot point or anything.

Why can't the episode title refer to both the Turtles' trials and Shredder's armour?

vagrant718 11-17-2012 09:47 AM

The Gauntlet more like a battle arena

Fought the kranng, then xever and bradford then finally the shredder

MrTMNT2012 11-17-2012 09:50 AM

"The Gauntlet" Title does NO Justice to how Unbelievably AWESOME This Episode was! :) :) :)

I'm still shaking, that's how Epic it was!

NinjaMan 11-17-2012 09:55 AM

This episode is going to get multiple viewings today from me lol. I really can't wait to see Shredder and Splinter when they meet after all these years.

chrisdude 11-17-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmntfan4ever (Post 1022895)
Spoiler:

That makes the most since. Besides, if those things Shredder wear really are called gauntlets, he has two. It's not called "The Gauntlets."