The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Why is Chrell red and other Utroms pink? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=61107)

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 02-20-2019 06:49 AM

Why is Chrell red and other Utroms pink?

Do Utroms in this series have different colours, like Humans from Earth have different skin colours? But why didn't we see more red Utroms?

neatoman 02-20-2019 07:09 AM

I think we saw yellow Utroms as well, didn't we?
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20150108114438

So yes, there are skin (cortex?) color variants depicted in the series. No official explaination exists. My best guess as to why most were pink is that Ch'rell might have a rare condition, like vitiligo or albinism.

Of course, the red color might just have been chosen to help distinguish him from other Utroms, as to not conguse the children watching.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-20-2019 08:54 AM

Red means angry. He angry Utrom.

Andrew NDB 02-20-2019 09:55 AM

And eeeevil. Because reasons.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-20-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1795347)
And eeeevil. Because reasons.

That's what the scar is for.

Evil backstory. Oppression. Rampage. Wait, no, not rampage... that brings to mind the goshawful Dwayne Johnson movie. :tlol:

Andrew NDB 02-20-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1795354)
Wait, no, not rampage... that brings to mind the goshawful Dwayne Johnson movie. :tlol:

Don't forget the Uwe Boll movie by the same name.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-20-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1795357)
Don't forget the Uwe Boll movie by the same name.

I can proudly say I've never lowered myself to watching an Uwe Boll movie. Had no idea there was a movie of that particular title by him. :tlol:

Prowler 02-20-2019 02:20 PM

I guess in order to make him stand out from the rest of the utroms? If he looked like any other generic utrom it'd have made it harder to identify him. Simple.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-20-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1795415)
I guess in order to make him stand out from the rest of the utroms? If he looked like any other generic utrom it'd have made it harder to identify him. Simple.

Actually, I'd be willing to bet they went with the coloration to further differentiate between Ch'rell and Krang.

Utrommaniac 02-20-2019 05:31 PM

Honestly, I question the fins/quills a lot more.

At least in IDW those make sense, especially now that they've finally decided to do more with telling Utroms apart than just giving them slightly different variations of color.

Plus, the scar looks more like a "scar" against his tone, rather than what seems to be an awkward skin graft.

But, between the red tone and the quills, there's probably enough there for him to have already been an "outsider" from the beginning. It doesn't matter how pacifistic these Utroms are, there is no way he wouldn't have been a child picked on because he had weird spikes on his head.

Ninjinister 02-20-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utrommaniac (Post 1795468)
But, between the red tone and the quills, there's probably enough there for him to have already been an "outsider" from the beginning. It doesn't matter how pacifistic these Utroms are, there is no way he wouldn't have been a child picked on because he had weird spikes on his head.

Bullied because of being different is so cliche and yet it still would be a better motivation than Space Weeb.

CyberCubed 02-21-2019 02:53 PM

There are different color Utroms for the same reasons humans are white, tanned or black. Or different color horses, fish, birds, etc.

Most species of life come in variations of colors, why shouldn't Utroms?

Utrommaniac 02-21-2019 07:36 PM

I think it's specifically why Ch'rell is just so much more...saturated. Of course it makes sense for them to have some differences in shade, but Ch'rell is a bit extreme.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 02-23-2019 11:25 AM

One early Mirage comic cover had purple Utroms.

https://www.miragelicensing.com/comi...e01/07/07.html

Utrommaniac 02-23-2019 08:13 PM

They're still kinda pinkish-purple...but uniformly all the same. More like the 2012 Utroms.

Because...y'know...gotta keep 'em looking like "brains". (Which is another thing IDW is good for in letting a few Utroms have an array of spike and quill displays, so Ch'rell is a much more "normal" individual. Which includes Kleve's mohawk and whatever the hell Ma'riell is doing on her back)

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 02-24-2019 04:43 AM

Do Mirage Utroms come in any other colours in colour reprints?

Icebot 02-24-2019 05:55 PM

In the battle nexus video game (but not in the show itself), there was an utrom named Slashuur. I think he was light purple.

Prowler 02-24-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icebot (Post 1796104)
In the battle nexus video game (but not in the show itself), there was an utrom named Slashuur. I think he was light purple.

Slashuur was cool. As a kid at the time, I assumed he was an actual character from the series and that I simply had missed the episodes he was in, but then I found out he was character exclusively made for the game and that kinda disappointed me. Honestky, it's a bit odd how one of the 8 different characters you can play as is an original character. Splinter, Casey and even Karai all made sense. I guess they just ran out characters that players would want to control. I think Usagi would have been cool, but he's not originally a Turtles character and perhaps they weren't allowed to put him in a game. And April wasn't really a fighter, so they just ended up creating an original character for the game.

I didn't use the unlockable characters much, anyway. Slashuur was fun as was Casey but Karai and especially Splinter were kinda lousy. If you thought Donatello was slow, Splinter was even slower.

Utrommaniac 02-24-2019 06:39 PM

Yeah, he would have been a pretty cool character to have around. A better nemesis for Ch'rell than Mortu, I think.

He did seem like he was meant to be an "negative" of Ch'rell. Just opposite and to the side of the color wheel, differently angled scar, calmer personality, an actual motivation and backstory...and also just way more interesting than Mortu, also.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 02-25-2019 11:54 AM

Return of the Technodrome

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1795434)
Actually, I'd be willing to bet they went with the coloration to further differentiate between Ch'rell and Krang.

Actually, Krang was depicted as red in Return of the Technodrome.