The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Game Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why was there no Game Gear TMNT game? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=65020)

CyberCubed 05-23-2022 05:32 AM

Why was there no Game Gear TMNT game?

I just thought of this due to the collection. Many licensed games back then appeared on NES, SNES, Genesis and then Gameboy and Game Gear.

But there never was a TMNT game on Game Gear despite getting two on Sega Genesis. We could have gotten another mostly unique TMNT beat 'em up on the Game Gear back in the 90's and we never did.

oldmanwinters 05-23-2022 06:30 AM

Konami was slow to bring anything to Sega due to their longstanding Nintendo relationship. By the time they began to support Sega’s platform, the Turtles license was starting to slip in its bankability and the Game Gear was also cooling off in the battle with the Game Boy. I’d say it was just bad timing.

sdp 05-23-2022 07:15 AM

That's a shame, in the last few years I've been discovering how the game gear has "hidden gems" when it comes to licensed titles that are entirely original and yet no one talks about them. The likes of Power Rangers and Jurassic Park have better titles exclusive to the game gear better than the GB/NES/SNES/Genesis counterparts!

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 05-23-2022 07:49 AM

The Turtle craze was almost over when Konami began to release TMNT titles for Sega consoles.

oldmanwinters 05-23-2022 09:10 AM

To my great surprise, I'm not sure if Konami ever published ANY titles for the Game Gear.

They were involved with the licensing of Junction in 1991 (published under the Micronet label in the US), but other than that, I can't find anything:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Gear_games

CyberCubed 05-23-2022 09:10 AM

The Game Gear definitely had some unique games. Would have been cool to see what type of TMNT game they would have made for it.

LeotheLateBloomer 05-23-2022 09:17 AM

Yeah it is a shame. Truth be told, they probably could've ported the NES games to the system.

I'm also surprised there were no games based on the Red Sky seasons.

Ninjinister 05-23-2022 04:41 PM

Nobody had a ****ing Game Gear.

oldmanwinters 05-23-2022 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1931301)

There was always that one kid on the school field trip bus.

Leo656 05-23-2022 07:14 PM

A few of my friends had a Game Gear... but they never played it "on the go" because of the sh*tty battery life. So they only ever played it while tethered to the wall using a power adapter, thus defeating the entire point of a handheld system. I guess it made sense in the poorer households where they only had one TV; the kids could sit on the couch and play game Gear while Mom watched whatever on the TV. Otherwise seemed a bit pointless to have a handheld system you could only play at home plugged into the wall, color screen or no.

As for specifically why no TMNT Game Gear game, I'd agree it was probably a combination of Konami's Nintendo contracts plus the fact that Game Gear sales were never through the roof anyway, thus negating any financial upside of making an exclusive game for the system.

Andrew NDB 05-23-2022 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1931321)
A few of my friends had a Game Gear... but they never played it "on the go" because of the sh*tty battery life. So they only ever played it while tethered to the wall using a power adapter, thus defeating the entire point of a handheld system. I guess it made sense in the poorer households where they only had one TV; the kids could sit on the couch and play game Gear while Mom watched whatever on the TV. Otherwise seemed a bit pointless to have a handheld system you could only play at home plugged into the wall, color screen or no.

As for specifically why no TMNT Game Gear game, I'd agree it was probably a combination of Konami's Nintendo contracts plus the fact that Game Gear sales were never through the roof anyway, thus negating any financial upside of making an exclusive game for the system.

Yeah, all of this. Bingo. And I too remember lots of stories of abysmal battery life.

CyberCubed 05-23-2022 08:21 PM

I had a Game Gear as a kid. I only ever had 5 games for it. Sonic 2 (which is different than the Genesis version, it was a new game), Alladdin, The Jungle Book, and two other games I can't even remember. My parents bought it for me because they said it looked like a portable Super Nintendo and the Gameboy was only in black and white. Which made sense, it's kinda funny how underpowered the Gameboy was at the time and it lasted for 10 years.

There was also 364 games made for Game Gear, and tons of licensed games based on cartoons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Gear_games

So we could have gotten a TMNT game if it came out the same time as HyperStone Heist or the Genesis Tournament Fighters.

LeotheLateBloomer 05-24-2022 04:34 AM

My friend from next door briefly had a Game Gear (or if not, was borrowing it) and was playing either Sonic 2 or Sonic & Tails. That was the only time I saw the system up close until college where my current best friend has one but hasn't any batteries. It's huge from what I remember but he said it was quite the battery guzzler.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 05-24-2022 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1931301)

My only experiences with the Sega Game Gear, and the Nintendo Game Boy, was playing in toy stores and shopping malls.

member_removed 07-11-2022 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan (Post 1931252)
The Turtle craze was almost over when Konami began to release TMNT titles for Sega consoles.

Pretty much this.

There was no TMNT content produced for the PS1 or N64 either.

Nothing between Tournament Fighters (1993) and the 2K3 series tie in games in 2003. Vast wasteland of years for the Turtles on home consoles.

CyberCubed 07-11-2022 05:25 AM

Yep, 10 years of no new TMNT games. I remember that as a kid, always wanting another new TMNT game and it never happened. I knew we would never get one during the N64/PS1 era, but I always hoped.

It really took until the next cartoon came out in 2003 that we started getting games again. But I remember the feeling as a kid, "why no new TMNT games" and fantasizing what a TMNT game on the N64 would be like.

Ninja Tiptup 07-22-2022 02:44 AM

I really wish there was a TMNT game on N64 and PlayStation and a GameGear game would have been neat. They might have been able to make something similar to the NES games for GameGear / Master System.

It always felt like a very missed opportunity for Konami not to release the arcade games on N64 where 4 player was built into the console but a new 4 player TMNT beat 'em up could have been even cooler. Granted if they tried to do a 3D polygon based game for N64 that might have turned out badly.

It's at least a bit of a shame that The Next Mutation never got a console game.

Leo656 07-22-2022 02:57 AM

Yeah, I don't think a polygon 4-player fighter for the N64 would have come out great, or at least probably wouldn't have aged incredibly well.

A port of the TMNT arcade games to the N64 (or PS1 for that matter) wouldn't have even been discussed because most companies were in a staunch "No 2D" mindset at that time. Even porting older games to newer hardware in any case was considered "radical" at that time, and when it happened it was like, Atari-age stuff that hadn't been seen in decades. There was a lot of legitimate debate about "Who'd wanna play old games?" and "Is there actually money in that? They're old."

Sounds crazy now since retro gaming and nostalgia gaming are all the rage and a huge chunk of the market all to themselves. In 1996 and 1997, few gamers were looking in the rear-view mirror and had little time for nostalgia. I was different, but then I was always "unconventional". But point is, companies were only barely porting any retro games at all during that time and there was serious conversation that there was no market for that kind of thing.

Obviously, they smartened up but it took them a couple of years. Hindsight being 20/20, I'm sure a PS1 port of the TMNT arcade games would have done well - better than on the N64, because even though the N64 had the four controller inputs the music and voices of the games would have been ruined by the N64's wimpy sound chip - but it wouldn't have even been discussed back then. Times were tough for anything "old-fashioned" or "retro".

CyberCubed 07-22-2022 05:30 AM

The N64 came out in 1996 and went on through 2001, at that point TMNT was "dead" in the general public, as Next Mutation aired in 1997 and got canceled in 1 season. The late 90's and early 2000's were when TMNT was completely out of the publics eye until the 2003 cartoon revived it somewhat, so of course we were never going to get any games at the time.

As said even the 2003 cartoon 4kids games on PS2/Gamecube didn't turn out too well, so any N64/PS1 game would likely have been and aged horribly had it existed. So I don't think we missed anything.

TMNT is just lucky enough it debuted when the NES, SNES, Gameboy, Genesis and Arcade games were all huge in the 80's and 90's, so it came out at just the right time when fun short 2D games are what peopel expected out of games back then.

Sumac 07-22-2022 06:58 PM

Game Gear was not popular compared to Game Boy, so it didn't warrant a port.