The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What is the highest level of education you've reached? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=60157)

ProphetofGanja 06-26-2018 10:22 PM

What is the highest level of education you've reached?

What is the highest level of education you've reached?

High school diploma or GED (or your country's equivalent)?
Associate or Bachelor's degree?
Master's or Philosophical Doctorate?

Utrommaniac 06-26-2018 10:58 PM

I have two Associates.

plastroncafe 06-27-2018 07:12 AM

I'm most of the way through a graduate program.

BartAllen 06-27-2018 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utrommaniac (Post 1766987)
I have two Associates.

Funny, I also got two associates before I finally got my BS.

Utrommaniac 06-27-2018 10:31 AM

I have moments of thinking about a Bachelor's, but I'm just so sick of being a student for the time being.

IndigoErth 06-27-2018 12:03 PM

Associates via community college.

Wish it had been a bachelors, but transferring it to the university was kind of financially out of reach. Nor did they really have quite what I wanted anyhow.

But as least I can say I graduated with high honors.

CyberCubed 06-27-2018 02:27 PM

Bachelor's, anything more than that is too much work for me. By the time I was 23 I was pretty much burned out of school and studying, I don't think I could have done anything after.

MsMarvelDuckie 06-27-2018 03:04 PM

High school graduate, with some college. Was going for a Bachelor's in humane or environmental law, but that sort of fizzled out due to lack of access to the courses. (It was online.)

DarkFell 06-27-2018 05:16 PM

Community college. Six classes away from a Associates Degree.

But there are days when I agree with Bob Marley's old response regarding his education.
"I don't need education - just inspiration. If I was educated, I'd be a damned fool."

In all seriousness, I learned some cool stuff throughout the years.

Redeemer 06-27-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1767002)
I'm most of the way through a graduate program.

How much different/tougher is a graduate program compared to undergrad??? I am asking bc I am finishing my bachelors in the fall and was considering graduate school, but like others I am so burned out :ohwell:

I will wait a few months until I finish my bachelors and then I will vote haha. As of now only associates.

plastroncafe 06-27-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer (Post 1767117)
How much different/tougher is a graduate program compared to undergrad??? I am asking bc I am finishing my bachelors in the fall and was considering graduate school, but like others I am so burned out :ohwell:

I will wait a few months until I finish my bachelors and then I will vote haha. As of now only associates.

I'm not finding it all that much different in terms of workload though there is way less hand-holding. For me the biggest difference is that graduate school is far more like trade school. Is education as a means to an end, where as an undergrad you can have education as an end unto itself.

If you know what you want to study, then my recommendation would be to apply to grad school after you come back from burnout. Writing papers, and studying, are skills that you lose if you don't practice them.

Working full time and going to school is no picnic either.

wpugh2424 06-27-2018 09:19 PM

Got a doctorate in medicine

MikeandRaph87 06-27-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer (Post 1767117)

I am going through my second masters program. The key differences are its not as many courses at at a time. The first program was immediately after I finished undergraduate. It was in the classroom unlike the graduate professional studies program that I currently in. In both cases its less test and more papers and discussion. Citations are done in everything. Its time consuming yet manageable because you have just a class at a time in GPS programs while traditional only two to three. I reccommend doing graduate professional studies program so you can get an in within your field and work on a degree for advancement. If you are in school and want to go further keep going. I am wiping away rust after four years in the field and relearning citations was a pain.

Donnie 06-27-2018 09:52 PM

I have a Master's in History.

Ulisa 06-27-2018 09:56 PM

I have a Master's in Professional Counseling and my Associate Counseling License. Currently working towards my Independent License, with an emphasis in Trauma.

asfaloth12 06-28-2018 06:06 PM

MD. But, even then, the learning never ends.

Andrew NDB 06-28-2018 08:01 PM

A lot of pretty educated people around here.

Sage Ninja 06-28-2018 09:38 PM

I have an associates degree and I am working on my Bachelor's degree. And let me tell you it has been a grueling difficult experience for me both academically and financially to go to school. It's taken me a long, long time to get through because of both finical and personal set backs, and also because I have a learning disability that makes it very hard to learn and maintain information. And during times where I had to take time off from school for some reason, I have found that I have either forgotten information or gotten rusty in areas that I had precariously tried to build knowledge/skills in.

Plastron Café is 100% right, the self discipline and capabilities to study and write papers gets lost if you are away from it for a while. So don't let burn out make you rusty. try applying your self to keeping the skills you have learned sharp even while away from school. My legit biggest fear is graduating from college with pretty grades but still having a shaky grasp on the hands on skills I'm desperately trying learn in my field and not being able to make it as professional later on. That's why I have bent over backwards trying to find ways to supplement my skills, and it's not easy...

Redeemer 06-28-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1767121)
I'm not finding it all that much different in terms of workload though there is way less hand-holding. For me the biggest difference is that graduate school is far more like trade school. Is education as a means to an end, where as an undergrad you can have education as an end unto itself.

If you know what you want to study, then my recommendation would be to apply to grad school after you come back from burnout. Writing papers, and studying, are skills that you lose if you don't practice them.

Working full time and going to school is no picnic either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1767134)
I am going through my second masters program. The key differences are its not as many courses at at a time. The first program was immediately after I finished undergraduate. It was in the classroom unlike the graduate professional studies program that I currently in. In both cases its less test and more papers and discussion. Citations are done in everything. Its time consuming yet manageable because you have just a class at a time in GPS programs while traditional only two to three. I reccommend doing graduate professional studies program so you can get an in within your field and work on a degree for advancement. If you are in school and want to go further keep going. I am wiping away rust after four years in the field and relearning citations was a pain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage Ninja (Post 1767299)

Plastron Café is 100% right, the self discipline and capabilities to study and write papers gets lost if you are away from it for a while. So don't let burn out make you rusty. try applying your self to keeping the skills you have learned sharp even while away from school. My legit biggest fear is graduating from college with pretty grades but still having a shaky grasp on the hands on skills I'm desperately trying learn in my field and not being able to make it as professional later on. That's why I have bent over backwards trying to find ways to supplement my skills, and it's not easy...

Thanks for the feedback guys really appreciate it.

GoldMutant 06-28-2018 10:26 PM

Right now, the highest I have is my high school diploma, which I received two weeks ago. In September, I will be working towards my General Education Ged Eds before moving forward with a degree in Literature, Film, or Writing. I'll be going for a minor in marketing as well too.