The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   General TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What wrong with ninja 'magic' for the TMNT? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58674)

Panda_Kahn_fan 09-06-2017 11:27 AM

What wrong with ninja 'magic' for the TMNT?

You know, I noticed a lot of people are upset whenever the idea of the turtles having any 'mystical' ninja abilities are present- like the Ninja tribunal season, or Next year's 'rise of the TMNT' cartoon series, and I really don't' get that. Ninja have been using magical abilities, like the nine characters of the Kuji-kiri, since the beginning of their appearance in Edo fiction. So I don't get why people get upset when the TMNT aren't using entirely 'real' ninja techniques. ( 'real' ninja- in a tmnt context, I can't even type that phrase with a straight face :lol: )

I don't see the problem with the upcoming incarnation of TMNT having ninja powers. I've always wanted a version of turtles where they could do shinobi techniques (jutsu) like running on water, disguise themselves as other people or objects in a puff of smoke, make illusion copies of themselves, and use elemental powers with their attacks. Ninja have been doing that sort of thing in Japanese movies, anime, manga and books for years; even dark and serious ninja stories. Why do people have a problem with the TMNT using mystical ninja techniques, when they've been a part of ninja folklore in japan since the beginning?

Anyway, I hope next year' 'rise of the TMNT' brings us an incarnation of the turtles that use the mystical kuji-kiri symbols.

Andrew NDB 09-06-2017 11:42 AM

I guess I don't have a problem with "ninja magic" as a concept for the TMNT as long as it's not a thing that gets too carried away. I mean, I have no problem with Foot Mystics out there doing magic.

newfan 09-06-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

I guess I don't have a problem with "ninja magic" as a concept for the TMNT as long as it's not a thing that gets too carried away. I mean, I have no problem with Foot Mystics out there doing magic.
Yes and also the mention of magic in a show with a 'younger feel' concerns me a little :)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-06-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1711942)

Or some astral projection warfare.

But when things go full "Ninja Tribunal / anime", I'm out. Balance.

CyberCubed 09-06-2017 12:19 PM

Their powers in Ninja Tribunal only really lasted 5 episodes, and it was just for one arc so I didn't mind it.

plastroncafe 09-06-2017 12:22 PM

If the show is going to have mysticism, or mystical elements, then it needs to be built into the world from stage one.

New York in my mind isn't a mystical place. It's just a place with a whole lot of people in it.

FredWolfLeonardo 09-06-2017 01:03 PM

This thread reminded me of that ridiculous moment from the tmnt OVA when Splinter deflected a spirit bomb using his fingers, straight out of DragonBall Z.

Splinter the boss 09-06-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan (Post 1711938)
shinobi techniques (jutsu) like running on water, disguise themselves as other people or objects in a puff of smoke, make illusion copies of themselves, and use elemental powers with their attacks. Ninja have been doing that sort of thing in Japanese movies, anime, manga and books for years;

Naruto fan?

Panda_Kahn_fan 09-06-2017 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splinter the boss (Post 1711976)
Naruto fan?

Jutsu is NOT just a Naruto term, it is an actual Japanese tern that means 'technique'.

IndigoErth 09-06-2017 01:42 PM

And then people turn their noses up at PD being magically bulletproof and Raph deflecting them really weirdly...

I guess it's kind of the same reasoning for me. I just prefer a more down to earth TMNT. There's already been plenty of other (non TMNT) shows with silly powers and junk. The ninja tribunal stuff is fun in a way, for a late series thing for one season, but it's not what I want for an entire series. (And at least in that one they appeared to lose the powers after the final battle in that arc.) I mean if you're just going to have powers, then why even be ninjas... Risking a lot of Mary Sue territory. I prefer the Turtles having to work hard for all they have and do and within the confines of how life works on planet Earth; deep down not really all that different than the humans they live alongside.

Splinter the boss 09-06-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan (Post 1711978)
Jutsu is NOT just a Naruto term, it is an actual Japanese tern that means 'technique'.

I was referring to all the other things you said. Look at what i quoted.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind magic as long as it's done properly and the people don't get carried away

Panda_Kahn_fan 09-06-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1711980)
And then people turn their noses up at PD being magically bulletproof and Raph deflecting them really weirdly...

I guess it's kind of the same reasoning for me. I just prefer a more down to earth TMNT. There's already been plenty of other (non TMNT) shows with silly powers and junk. The ninja tribunal stuff is fun in a way, for a late series thing for one season, but it's not what I want for an entire series. I mean if you're just going to have powers, then why even be ninjas... Risking a lot of Mary Sue territory. I prefer the Turtles having to work hard for all they have and do and within the confines of how life works on planet Earth; deep down not really all that different than the humans they live alongside.

The problem is.. these 'silly powers' have always been a part of ninja folklore and storytelling, Ninja techniques are supposed to blur the line between martial arts and 'magic'. Ninjas without powers are extremely rare in ninja fiction.

Panda_Kahn_fan 09-06-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splinter the boss (Post 1711984)
I was referring to all the other things you said. Look at what i quoted.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind magic as long as it's done properly and the people don't get carried away

The other things aren't just Naruto, either. All those abilities (water walk, elemental powers, image duplicates, etc.) are traditional ninja 'magic tricks' from long before Naruto

Powder 09-06-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splinter the boss (Post 1711976)
Naruto fan?

None of that was created/owned/popularized by Naruto. Ew.

CyberCubed 09-06-2017 02:13 PM

What on earth is Naruto? I mean I know what it is, but since when did that series have any meaning?

PApagreg 09-06-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1711987)
None of that was created/owned/popularized by Naruto. Ew.

The popularized part is debatable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1711988)
What on earth is Naruto? I mean I know what it is, but since when did that series have any meaning?

Since like 2005

OT, I personally prefer my turtles to be more down to earth, I'm personally okay with spirit projections and advance technology but I sort of draw the line when it comes to walking on water or summoning giant toads.

neatoman 09-06-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1711988)

Not sure what you mean, do you mean impact or relevance?

IndigoErth 09-06-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan (Post 1711985)
The problem is.. these 'silly powers' have always been a part of ninja folklore and storytelling, Ninja techniques are supposed to blur the line between martial arts and 'magic'. Ninjas without powers are extremely rare in ninja fiction.

I don't care if they tap into folklore, if it looks at real life behind it, but not fiction... But the Turtles already kind of touch on that stuff with various tricks of the trade already via cunning skills, not actual unearthly magic.

CyberCubed 09-06-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1711993)
Not sure what you mean, do you mean impact or relevance?

I know what the show/manga is, but I just don't get what the point is. It always came across as a faux-Dragonball Z successor that only became successful because of a new bunch of young teens in the early 2000's needed another fighting shonen fix.

Naruto was "after my time" as I was already 20 by the time it started, so I never got into it.

ProphetofGanja 09-06-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1711996)
I know what the show/manga is, but I just don't get what the point is. It always came across as a faux-Dragonball Z successor that only became successful because of a new bunch of young teens in the early 2000's needed another fighting shonen fix.

Naruto was "after my time" as I was already 20 by the time it started, so I never got into it.

It's the Dragonball Z for a generation younger than you. People grow up with different things.

"Back in my day we had to walk to school in the snow, and it was uphill both ways! You kids today with your smartphones and your hoverboards don't know how hard we had it! My childhood was more valid than yours! Wah!" :lol: