The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Books, Comics, and Other Literature (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Any fan of Green Lantern here? (comics) (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59712)

Andrew NDB 10-17-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1780386)
So Oa was being quietly reconstructed

Reconstructed... again.

Here's a little article I did a short while back:
http://thegreenlanterncorps.com/top-...n-lantern-run/

Avenger 01-27-2019 10:30 AM

So, did anyone had the chance to read the Grant Morrisson's issues?

Did you like it? Is that very different from previous writers?

MikeandRaph87 01-27-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avenger (Post 1791123)
So, did anyone had the chance to read the Grant Morrisson's issues?

Did you like it? Is that very different from previous writers?

One thing I did not like was how Hal seemed to have a one night stand so soon after rushing to Carol's home. DC may want you to think he goes from woman to woman like in the Flash and Green Lantern mini-series Mark Waid did,but Hal and Carol have been romantically linked since childhood. The first issue felt like it was from the 1970s', the decade period Hal spent away form Ferris Air and did different careers. We get Evil Star for the first time since 1995 Evil Star has factored into a storyline beyond a couple of background appearances. That is refreshing to see him dusted it off as it one of a few that Johns and others ignored. Murder Mystery? Infiltrating the Darkstars? I can understand now why Kanjar Ro was not used, but a stand-in of his race as Hal seems to kill him. Hal himself is not a murderer even when he accidentally kills Krona so it must be the moment that Grant referred to when he says there is something that will be followed up on that happens early and is more to it than meets the eye. The art is initially going to be hard to adjust to as it has been so consistent since 2004's Green Lantern Rebirth. while it may not be Ethan can Sciver or Ian Reis their art was the template that others used. I am keeping an open mind.

Andrew NDB 01-27-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1791147)
One thing I did not like was how Hal seemed to have a one night stand so soon after rushing to Carol's home. DC may want you to think he goes from woman to woman like in the Flash and Green Lantern mini-series Mark Waid did,but Hal and Carol have been romantically linked since childhood. The first issue felt like it was from the 1970s', the decade period Hal spent away form Ferris Air and did different careers. We get Evil Star for the first time since 1995 Evil Star has factored into a storyline beyond a couple of background appearances. That is refreshing to see him dusted it off as it one of a few that Johns and others ignored. Murder Mystery? Infiltrating the Darkstars? I can understand now why Kanjar Ro was not used, but a stand-in of his race as Hal seems to kill him. Hal himself is not a murderer even when he accidentally kills Krona so it must be the moment that Grant referred to when he says there is something that will be followed up on that happens early and is more to it than meets the eye. The art is initially going to be hard to adjust to as it has been so consistent since 2004's Green Lantern Rebirth. while it may not be Ethan can Sciver or Ian Reis their art was the template that others used. I am keeping an open mind.

Almost all of what you just said is wrong.

Avenger 01-27-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1791147)
One thing I did not like was how Hal seemed to have a one night stand so soon after rushing to Carol's home. DC may want you to think he goes from woman to woman like in the Flash and Green Lantern mini-series Mark Waid did,but Hal and Carol have been romantically linked since childhood. The first issue felt like it was from the 1970s', the decade period Hal spent away form Ferris Air and did different careers. We get Evil Star for the first time since 1995 Evil Star has factored into a storyline beyond a couple of background appearances. That is refreshing to see him dusted it off as it one of a few that Johns and others ignored. Murder Mystery? Infiltrating the Darkstars? I can understand now why Kanjar Ro was not used, but a stand-in of his race as Hal seems to kill him. Hal himself is not a murderer even when he accidentally kills Krona so it must be the moment that Grant referred to when he says there is something that will be followed up on that happens early and is more to it than meets the eye. The art is initially going to be hard to adjust to as it has been so consistent since 2004's Green Lantern Rebirth. while it may not be Ethan can Sciver or Ian Reis their art was the template that others used. I am keeping an open mind.

Sorry. I read the first lines and I stopped because you're describing what is happening in those issues, and I want ro keep the surprise. I should have specified I didn't read it yet. However, my feeling is that... you didn't like it much?

MikeandRaph87 01-27-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avenger (Post 1791162)
Sorry. I read the first lines and I stopped because you're describing what is happening in those issues, and I want ro keep the surprise. I should have specified I didn't read it yet. However, my feeling is that... you didn't like it much?

Mixed opinion overall. I need to read through Morrison's 12th issue of The Green Lantern before I have an overall opinion that will stick.

MikeandRaph87 01-27-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1791154)
Almost all of what you just said is wrong.

I know you are a huge Green Lantern fan that hates Hal Jordan. I don't know what was wrong in the opinion part of my reply. As for the facts Evil Star had not been used for two dozen years for the most part and there has been a certain look to the art that has remained consistent.

Andrew NDB 01-28-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1791189)
I know you are a huge Green Lantern fan that hates Hal Jordan. I don't know what was wrong in the opinion part of my reply. As for the facts Evil Star had not been used for two dozen years for the most part and there has been a certain look to the art that has remained consistent.

Evil Star DID appear in early Geoff Johns Vol. 4 stuff, being dissected by some mystery alien race. He completely forgot/lost interest in the side story and abandoned it. Prior to Geoff Johns Hal Jordan DID have lots of relationships with women other than Carol Ferris.

MikeandRaph87 01-28-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1791241)
Evil Star DID appear in early Geoff Johns Vol. 4 stuff, being dissected by some mystery alien race. He completely forgot/lost interest in the side story and abandoned it. Prior to Geoff Johns Hal Jordan DID have lots of relationships with women other than Carol Ferris.

Sure in the 69-'79 timeframe as was touched on in Brave and The Bold: Flash and Green Lantern mini. Hal had at least two serious relationships and there was flirtations with Guy's ex and Arisia. Not to mention Jill Pearlman serving as competition for awhile. Hal always went back to Carol and carried a torch for his true love. It just seems like after Johns last issue stating they would end up together while Vendetti also finished Green Lantern with thrm embracing its weird to see Hal with a random blonde.

As for Evil Star, I know he was mentioned in #4-#6 with the german speaking Gremlins that experimented on Hector, The Shark, and Black Hand. However, I do not remember him appearing. I know he was referred to during the period Hal had the emerald gauntlet, but did not appear. That was one of the few disappointments of Johns run, Sonar, Goldface, Shark, Evil Star, and Dr. Polaris did not factor in.

ZariusTwo 02-01-2019 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1791241)
Prior to Geoff Johns Hal Jordan DID have lots of relationships with women other than Carol Ferris.

This is something Morrison is trying to get back to in his run

Leo656 02-01-2019 03:24 AM

Poor Hal's been, like, eight different people in his lifetime. :lol:

In my head, I guess I always reconciled it as, "He ultimately loves Carol best, but lacks the emotional maturity to commit to a steady relationship with her or anyone." Seems consistent with guys in his line of work.

Otherwise, it's like the writers just don't communicate. :trazz:

Hmmm... come to think of it... now that my books are out of storage, It's sure been a while since I had me some'a that "Emerald Dawn"........

2K3 02-04-2019 01:59 PM

Grew up with Kyle Rayner as sole GL. These days more of a fan of John Stewart.

Geoff Johns' run is what really got me into Green Lantern comics. After the run however, re-reading it, it's a shame characters like Cowgirl disappeared halfway through and elements pre-emotional spectrum never got explored more (such as General Stone's Hangar 44) plus I wish certain Earth-base GL Villains appeared more (outside of Hector Hammond and Black Hand) such as Tattooed Man, Sonar and Dr. Polaris.

MikeandRaph87 02-04-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2K3 (Post 1792610)
Grew up with Kyle Rayner as sole GL. These days more of a fan of John Stewart.

Geoff Johns' run is what really got me into Green Lantern comics. After the run however, re-reading it, it's a shame characters like Cowgirl disappeared halfway through and elements pre-emotional spectrum never got explored more (such as General Stone's Hangar 44) plus I wish certain Earth-base GL Villains appeared more (outside of Hector Hammond and Black Hand) such as Tattooed Man, Sonar and Dr. Polaris.

That is my biggest complaint. If they did not figure into the emotional spectrum they are left out. There was the tease in the very early issues,but nothing became of it. Curious to see what will be done with Evil Star after all this wait.

Also, props for remembering Hanger 44! Also, General Stone knew Hal's identity so I was curious how that would be played. As for Jill "Cowgirl" Pearlman, she was a plot device wirhout any sense of permanance.

MikeandRaph87 02-11-2019 06:07 PM

Emerald Dawn got a shout out in Jeopardy tonight in category titled Emeralds.

Leo656 02-11-2019 08:58 PM

Neat. I much prefer both Emerald Dawns over any of the GL origins that we've had since.

"Don't fix what ain't broke", as they say.

MikeandRaph87 02-12-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1793988)
Neat. I much prefer both Emerald Dawns over any of the GL origins that we've had since.

"Don't fix what ain't broke", as they say.

To each their own I suppose. I never like the idea of Hal getting a DUI ahead of gaining the green lantern mantle. Secret Origin is solid. I just wish despite the expansion of the mythos that the earth based villains would have been included beyond teases to not at all.

Still it was cool seeing "this colorful hero's beginning's were told in a tale worthy of trade paperback" or something to that effect.

MikeandRaph87 02-17-2019 12:36 PM

So is Starbreaker, the cosmic vampire from JLA#96-99 that plagued the JLA and Adam Strange making a comeback or is this is his newly revealed daughter in The Green Lantern#4? In the previous issue at the auction,Agamemno could be seen for the first time outside the little known mini-series gem. Are these two big level threats isolated to one story-line making a comeback?

MikeandRaph87 04-05-2019 06:16 PM

https://www.cbr.com/green-lantern-itty-supporting-cast/

Here is an interesting article about Itty.

Avenger 04-07-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1802376)
https://www.cbr.com/green-lantern-itty-supporting-cast/

Here is an interesting article about Itty.


I saw some of your topics and answers in other thread and I have to say, your comic knowledge at large impresses me.


I just bought another GL comic:

https://dynamic.indigoimages.ca/book...ale=20&lang=en

I haven't finished yet, but it's interesting. The behavior of the Guy Gardner we know seem considered as "brain damaged".

MikeandRaph87 04-07-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avenger (Post 1802545)
I saw some of your topics and answers in other thread and I have to say, your comic knowledge at large impresses me.


I just bought another GL comic:

https://dynamic.indigoimages.ca/book...ale=20&lang=en

I haven't finished yet, but it's interesting. The behavior of the Guy Gardner we know seem considered as "brain damaged".

Just answered you elsewhere. I can say that I know a lot about a little. I prefer it be know a little about a lot. I appreciate it!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.