The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   General TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The turtles being called amphibians (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=37317)

TMNT_2010 04-24-2012 08:53 PM

The turtles being called amphibians

It seems like the turtles were often called amphibians in the earlier episodes, then they were called both amphibians and reptiles and then only reptiles. There might be instances that go against this, but this seems to be the norm.

So was this intentional or an honest mistake by the writers? A lot of times it doesn't sound like they're being called amphibians as an insult, it just sounds like that is just what they are.

Has anything ever been said about this?

Type 97 Chi-ha 04-24-2012 10:08 PM

Turtles aren't amphibians. The writers evidently just goofed in the early episodes.

Powder 04-24-2012 10:10 PM

Just a flub on part of certain writers ignorance. Though I think it may have been done on purpose here and there for humors sake.

CyberCubed 04-24-2012 10:12 PM

It would have happened in the 4kids episodes too. If you look at the ep scripts Peter Laird had to constantly correct the writers before the episodes were finished.

Jester 04-24-2012 10:22 PM

If you use the term VERY loosely, they can be classified as amphibians, as they started life in one form, and then became another.

Zany Orange Dude 04-24-2012 10:25 PM

You know...I never even noticed...but know that you mentioned it and I am thinking back...your right. Wow, can't believe I missed that one.

Nintendophile 04-25-2012 04:09 AM

I kind of assumed that every time Shredder called them amphibians, it was more of an "insult", kind of like purposely mispronouncing someone's name.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 04-25-2012 05:41 AM

Amphibians

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nintendophile (Post 940489)
I kind of assumed that every time Shredder called them amphibians, it was more of an "insult", kind of like purposely mispronouncing someone's name.

I can't recall any episode he said amphibians.

pannoni1 04-25-2012 07:30 AM

Should have saved amphibians for the Punk Frogs. And there is one instance where Raphael corrects Shredder that we are "reptiles, not amphibians!"

gobo 04-25-2012 08:01 AM

This started out as a joke, but certain ignorant writers didn't catch on. There was even an episode where Leo says "it just so happens we're amphibians" or something similar. :roll:

Venom 04-26-2012 08:46 PM

While some turtles are amphibious, no amphibians are turtles.

Lisardo 04-26-2012 09:19 PM

Yeah Shredder "insulted" them by calling them amphibians but Leo also said in the Rex-1 ep, "Luckily those robots don't realize we're amphibians!" So the turtles sometimes referred to themselves as that. Always thought that weird too. I definately agree it was a flub.

BubblyShell22 04-27-2012 06:22 AM

I always thought it was a flaw like everyone said. It's the same as the Purple Dragons or anyone else calling them frogs in the 4Kids toon.

Ravenxl7 04-27-2012 07:33 AM

I've recently started to watch the '03 series (I want to say I've seen more than the little bit I watched when it first started), and so far I've heard them referred to as amphibious, which is true for them, but haven't witnessed them being referred to as amphibians, yet.

My memory of the '87 series is too blurry to have any idea if, and in what context, they were ever referred to as amphibians.

Type 97 Chi-ha 04-28-2012 12:59 PM

I don't remember which episode, but I do recall when a mob boss refers to the Turtles as amphibians and one of his henchmen replied that they weren't, and there was a brief argument over that.

shezcrafti 04-28-2012 04:57 PM

I can excuse the amphibian thing, since most turtles at least act amphibious. Hell, even Full House got it wrong:

I'm more confused by the fact that TMNT are supposed to be red eared sliders, when they look nothing like that species.

Nintendophile 04-28-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shezcrafti (Post 941818)
I'm more confused by the fact that TMNT are supposed to be red eared sliders, when they look nothing like that species.

Yeah, you'd figure that if they're supposed to be red eared sliders, even if they're mutated red eared sliders whose DNA has been heavily altered, they'd still keep the same skin coloring, or at least the red "ear" markings.

You know, there's a good question for everyone; What type of real-world species of turtle do you think the Ninja Turtles most resemble? Hmm... I think that might be a new topic thread. And away I go! :tgrin:

ryukenden 04-29-2012 06:11 AM

I don't remember the Turtles ever getting offended when they were called "amphibians". I definitely would say it was a goof-up from the writers. I did remember Leo feeling insulted that the Punk Frogs were mistaken as Turtles.

Type 97 Chi-ha 04-29-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nintendophile (Post 941893)
You know, there's a good question for everyone; What type of real-world species of turtle do you think the Ninja Turtles most resemble? Hmm... I think that might be a new topic thread. And away I go! :tgrin:

Box turtles presumably, since those are the most commonly species sold in pet shops.

Stingray69 04-29-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryukenden (Post 941950)
I don't remember the Turtles ever getting offended when they were called "amphibians". I definitely would say it was a goof-up from the writers. I did remember Leo feeling insulted that the Punk Frogs were mistaken as Turtles.

In case of the hot kamono, pinky calls them amphibians and don yells back where not amphibians where reptiles.