The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   any one like star wars? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=37315)

TurtleMaster4 04-24-2012 05:01 PM

any one like star wars?

any one else like star wars out there?

Candy Kappa 04-24-2012 05:12 PM

yup all three movies.

Some of the expanded universe is fancy too, alien bunny :P

zkarlette 04-24-2012 05:14 PM

I do , but I like the originals way better..

TurtleMaster4 04-24-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Kappa (Post 940283)
yup all three movies.

Some of the expanded universe is fancy too, alien bunny :P

yea i like all the movies, 1-6 (though the originals are the best) and expanded universe stuff too.

Candy Kappa 04-24-2012 05:18 PM

episode 1-3 are... Well, Red Letter Media explains it better, and even uses some humor in the ugly truth of that is the prequels.

only cool the prequels did was showing the ET species as a part of the SW canon

Dirty Blond 04-24-2012 05:20 PM

I like Info Wars.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ughingalex.gif

ToTheNines 04-24-2012 05:27 PM

Revenge of the Sith was ballin. I don't care what anyone says.

Plus we wouldn't have Gendy's Star Wars Clone Wars shorts if it weren't for the prequels.

Jester 04-24-2012 05:28 PM

Star Wars? Never heard of that. What's it about?

Redeemer 04-24-2012 05:33 PM

I actually have never been able to finish a Star Wars movie..... The movies just seem too boring for my taste

Raph's Girl 04-24-2012 05:39 PM

Im a fan of episodes 4 - 6 and the Ewok movies and toons.

tmnt transformer 04-24-2012 05:42 PM

who isn't a star wars fan?

Candy Kappa 04-24-2012 05:43 PM

well, the prequels had another cool thing going on. Darth Maul looked wicked, too bad they offed him in the first movie. I don't care what they do in the cartoon series, Maul should have won the whole damn thing

Leo656 04-25-2012 12:16 AM

I always "liked" it but I never actually sat down and watched the original trilogy in order until they were re-released in '96. Would'a been about 13, sad I know to get into it so late but since I was more mature and had some expendable cash I was able to explore some of the deeper SW territory as well, so it made for a very rich experience.

I pretty much love everything about SW without falling into the hyper-obsessed "fanboy" stereotype. I haven't seen enough of Clone Wars to have an honest opinion, sadly, but I like what I've seen.

And I'm sorry, but people hating on the prequels is getting old and believe it or not, it has more to do with the age of the internet than anything being actively wrong with 1-3. I still have newspaper reviews and magazine articles from when they came out originally, and 95% of people loved them at the time. Sure, none of them is as timeless and fun as any of the originals, the storyline isn't as exciting and the characters overall not as likeable, but people take a few minor things and blow it out of proportion. Your gut reaction is usually right, and nobody could stop talking about how awesome they each were at the time. It wasn't until years and years of internet snark sank in - "Jar Jar is the Anti-Christ!" "Hayden Christensen is the worst actor in history!" - that people decided collectively that they only wanted to remember the bad parts. Jar Jar was annoying, but they toned his role down 1000% in the next two. Hayden played the part way too whiny, but that's merely a symptom of a much bigger problem Lucas had to face when filming the prequels: Good actors existed in the 1970s, they don't anymore. Period. Everyone who's made a million dollars in films from like 1995 til now is a GAP model, not an actor, and it isn't George Lucas's F'ing fault that he had to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t when it came to finding a cast.

Could they have done better? Yeah, but I do my best to look at what's good about what I was given and not compare it to the SW fanfiction me and my friends would hypothetically have made when we were 5 years old. And even with all the weaksauce, Eps 1-3 have some of THE BEST moments in the entire SW Universe. Yoda finally gets to fight? Oban Wan is 100% Certified General Bad-Ass (And gets the BEST lines in the entire prequel trilogy)? ANY of the lightsaber fights? Yeah, there was Jar-Jar and "Noooooooooo!" but seriously, there's "Well, it wasn't as good as I thought it could have been," which is more or less truth, and there's "The entire thing was worthless!" which isn't just hyperbole it's a flat-out f*cking lie.

Sorry for the rant, but I've had that building up for a while now. :lol:

Shreddhead 04-25-2012 12:34 AM

Im a pretty big star wars nut. The original trilogy is my favorite by far, and a lot of the Expanded Universe is really entertaining, and some of those novels are truly amazing. I loved the Thrawn trilogy

Candy Kappa 04-25-2012 04:29 AM

all the bile the prequels get isn't just because it is popular to hate them, most of it is well deserved.

over choreographed sword fights, Yoda on speed, over usage of green screen, boring camera angles, actors don't connect with the CG models, all Jedi dress as Ben Kenobi when he was hiding from the Imperials and this can go on and on and on.

One thing I really don't like, but it's so popular I guess it was the best choice. Making the Light Saber a Sith weapon as well, not sure where it started, but. I'm not a fan, then again we now got lots of unemotional hyper extreme well choreographed sword fights, I guess it was for the better.

Luzmagica 04-25-2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 940290)
Star Wars? Never heard of that. What's it about?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: !!! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmnt transformer (Post 940295)
who isn't a star wars fan?

:tthumbsu:

Jester 04-25-2012 04:58 AM

I've always been more of a Trekkie (I'm not sure why people prefer Trekker...oh well) but I do like and greatly respect the Star Wars trilogy. The biggest problem with the prequels is they had HUGE shoes to fill. Nothing could come close to what the original trilogy was. I own them on old school, pre-special edition VHS. Yummy.

Peanut 04-25-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 940460)
And I'm sorry, but people hating on the prequels is getting old and believe it or not, it has more to do with the age of the internet than anything being actively wrong with 1-3.

Lol...no.

Where 2 and 3 are concerned, especially 3, there's most certainly some of that sh*t going down, but Episode 1 is f*cking awful and deserves every bit of hate it gets, and this is coming from a huge closet nerd of a Star Wars fan who defended that sh*t in the school yard. Aside from a select few scenes, most of that movie is absolute sh*t. Jar Jar is an awful character, the kid who plays Anakin is entirely unconvincing in every conceivable way and every other line from his mouth is stilted as f*ck, a lot of the humor falls completely flat, the Battle for Naboo is terrible both on the ground and in space, and some of the one-liners and banter are cringe inducing. They f*ck up the very god damned definition of The Force in that movie! The most intriguing part of the entire mythos is destroyed in a single scene! No, that movie is horrible.

Episode 2 has more than its fair share of awful moments, from Anakin whining about sand to absolutely every scene involving C-3P0. Episode 3 has fewer stand-out problems and most of them start to get nit-picky and I agree that it gets lumped in with Episode 1 and 2 unfairly. However, saying that people "take a few minor things and blow it out of proportion" is simply incorrect. There are more than a "few" minor things wrong with Episode 2 and there's little about Episode 1 worth salvaging at all.

And really, bringing up critics means f*ck all, especially where Star Wars is concerned, those movies are pretty much critic-proof. What impressed people about the prequels, again mostly Episode 1, was the tech behind the entire thing. On top of that you have the prequel to the most successful and beloved trilogy in the history of movies releasing some 16 years since the last movie hit theaters and you're pretty much setting everyone up for an inconceivable amount of overblown praise that, in retrospect, it's entirely undeserving of.

More in line with the topic, I'm a gigantic Star Wars fan and have been for as long as I can remember. I still love the franchise, but I do feel there's a very specific point where the universe became segregated and I can't for the life of me think of them as being two pieces of a whole. Episode 1 - 3 and stuff like The Clone Wars (which is great) feel like they're completely different from the original trilogy and that universe. Sure, creatures and characters and events are brought up in both that directly relate to each other, but to me they feel completely disparate. When Obi-Wan mentions fighting in the Clone Wars in A New Hope, I don't picture Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen flipping around fighting droids, I picture something completely different that we still haven't heard about. It's sort of hard to explain, but it's something that continues to bother me about the entire thing.

ToTheNines 04-25-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut (Post 940548)
the kid who plays Anakin is entirely unconvincing in every conceivable way and every other line from his mouth is stilted as f*ck, a lot of the humor falls completely flat, the Battle for Naboo is terrible both on the ground and in space

Funny thing about Anakin... I remember watching the bonus features to episode 1, and the 3 kids they narrowed down to cast as Anakin were all terrible. I know it's hard to find good child actors, but when Jake Lloyd is the best of your final three to play young Darth Vader, you just didn't look hard enough.

And **** that whole Battle of Naboo. It almost ruins the lightsaber battle.

SherlockJr 04-25-2012 01:08 PM

I like the original trilogy a lot, but I can't really classify myself as a hardcore SW fan. As for the prequels, I find them atrocious, especially the poor writing.