The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Generation Z (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48775)

Papenbrook 08-09-2014 09:39 PM

Generation Z

Generation Z contains teenagers and children born in 1995 and so on. The characteristics of this group of people include:

- Multitasking
- Being connected to the internet
- Influence from social media
- Being more liberal

Do you see any trends among teenagers and children that can be defined within Generation Z?

CyberCubed 08-09-2014 10:29 PM

I don't see a difference between them and us. Everyone born from 1985 to now also uses all the same social media tools and has phones.

Whatswiththeheadbands? 08-10-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purple Kraken (Post 1327744)
Generation Z contains teenagers and children born in 1995 and so on. The characteristics of this group of people include:

- Multitasking
- Being more liberal

Do you see any trends among teenagers and children that can be defined within Generation Z?

It's funny, I was born in 1997, so I am in the Generation Z, but apart from Being connected to the Internet, I don't follow any of those characteristics.

Cure 08-10-2014 11:56 AM

Wait, I'm gonna take a crack at how this thread is gonna turn out.

Everyone complains about them.

Papenbrook 09-10-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papenbrook (Post 1327744)

- Multitasking
- Being more liberal

It looks like I was wrong with one of my points.

Generation Z is more likely to be conservative leaning.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleys...g#31bcec101365

plastroncafe 09-10-2017 07:37 PM

How are they different from Millennials?
Or is this an attempt to rebrand?

Did Millennials KILL Millennials?
(what a twist)

snake 09-10-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papenbrook (Post 1713022)
It looks like I was wrong with one of my points.

Generation Z is more likely to be conservative leaning.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleys...g#31bcec101365

Daaaaaaamn straight.

Hopefully we'll be more successful than millennials, but that isn't particularly hard.

IndigoErth 09-10-2017 08:03 PM

Just how many names is that overly wide age group going to have...

And people got awfully lazy with the generation names awfully quick. Like (sarcasm) Gen X didn't mean something, suddenly it's just letters for Y and Z, despite there being no A to W.

plastroncafe 09-10-2017 08:07 PM

Can't read the article because of the adblock, but I get the feeling Conservative is way watered down.

Like someone being from MA and in the Republican Party.
They think they're conservative, but they'd be liberal if they lived anywhere else.

And multitasking? Um...no. Gen Z doesn't get to lay claim to multitasking.
People have been doing that since forever. (women in particularly)
So maybe this Gen Z list is for dudes.

Prowler 09-10-2017 08:17 PM

People born in 1995 haven't been kids for a while now. They turned 18 in 2013.

I know a girl born in 1995 and I don't see much of a difference between her and people born between 1989 and 1992 tbh. At most she might have been too young to remember ta few popular games/cartoons around 1996-2000, but that's all.

Redeemer 09-10-2017 08:26 PM

WTF??????? Gen Z cannot include people born in the late 90's..........The Millennial generation starts in the late 80/ early 90s and a generation is 25 years... how can there only be a 6 year gap between the generations?????? :lol:
This is sad

Sumac 09-11-2017 08:32 AM

All this "Generation ?" stuff is just a convenient way to create a boogeymen for right or left.

Who always always ruins things for conservatives - those youngsters from "Generation ?".

Who always ruins things for progressives - those old farts from "Generation ?".

In reality all this stuff is just a bunch of ********, which used a scapegoat for some people, when they don't want or can't take responsibility for some ****ed up stuff. Just blame some vague "Generation something" and all is right in the world. 'Tis much easier than to look in the mirror.

TurtleWA 09-11-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumac (Post 1713148)
All this "Generation ?" stuff is just a convenient way to create a boogeymen for right or left.

Yeah labels help politicians, media, and companies all hone their messages. Apparently it's much easier to sell yourself (as a politician) or product(as a company)to a stereotyped group.

http://www.npr.org/2014/10/06/349316...hy-we-use-them

plastroncafe 09-11-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer (Post 1713042)
WTF??????? Gen Z cannot include people born in the late 90's..........The Millennial generation starts in the late 80/ early 90s and a generation is 25 years... how can there only be a 6 year gap between the generations?????? :lol:
This is sad

Maybe kids today are just more disposable than kids in the past were.
Maybe that's why I'm not the slightest bit concerned about how supposedly conservative they are.

Sumac 09-11-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1713176)
Maybe that's why I'm not the slightest bit concerned about how supposedly conservative they are.

Elaborate, please. I am not really sure what do you mean.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-11-2017 01:35 PM

Generation Z would be a killer title for a zombie millennials show.

DestronMirage22 09-11-2017 02:15 PM

I've never understood the whole "Generation THIS Generation THAT" mentality.
Who cares about that kind of stuff?
Shouldn't the way you act and the things you do as an individual affect how people see you, as opposed to what group you pertain to?

People can't simply be defined like that.
You can't say that people born from xxxx to xxxx are this and that, and that others born from other dates act this other way, because it simply isn't true. Not in every case.

plastroncafe 09-11-2017 02:35 PM

No label is a perfect thing for all occasions. They're good for what they're good for, and crap for pretty much anything else. Which is to say I think generational labels are useful in a few vague comparative instances, but they're not always one-size fits all.

Kids getting blamed for the state of the world their parents and grand parents made isn't new. You can read ethnographies where anthropologists have studied the same villiage/town for generations and everyone says the same thing.

Hell, people were writing think pieces on the dangers of novels the same way they do now about the dangers of smart phones.

I'm Gen X, but there are more than a couple of Gen...What Ever The Hell You Kids Decide To Call Yourselves things that are applicable to me and a good chunk of the people I know from the same cohort.
But that doesn't change the fact that our childhoods were very different, and those differences we key to our respective developments.

I love the idea that Gen WETHYKDTCY has the patent on multitasking.
Uh huh. Pull the other one, it's got bells.

ToTheNines 09-11-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 (Post 1713265)
I've never understood the whole "Generation THIS Generation THAT" mentality.
Who cares about that kind of stuff?
Shouldn't the way you act and the things you do as an individual affect how people see you, as opposed to what group you pertain to?

People can't simply be defined like that.
You can't say that people born from xxxx to xxxx are this and that, and that others born from other dates act this other way, because it simply isn't true. Not in every case.

Agreed. I'm an individualist. Blanket statements for generational demographics are just as dumb as doing the same thing for religions, ethnicities, genders, etc.

BubblyShell22 09-11-2017 04:36 PM

I agree about the generation label thing being a crock. I think everybody is to blame for something and it's not really just about generations but about how people perceive the world and adapt to it. I agree that sometimes we have become more self-absorbed with social media than we were back in the day, but other than that, things are no different than what they were years ago really.