The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Starbucks to undergo "Racial-Bias" Training (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=60030)

Papenbrook 05-29-2018 09:20 AM

Starbucks to undergo "Racial-Bias" Training

Yes, really.

Let's see how well this goes ... :roll:

FredWolfLeonardo 05-29-2018 12:57 PM

Not needed since 80% of Starbucks employees have degrees involving racial studies

MsMarvelDuckie 05-29-2018 06:27 PM

Not around here they don't. Our local Starbucks mostly employs teens or young people right out of high school. Some are probably in college, but most certainly not for racial studies. Around here, it's mostly nursing/medical studies.

That said, our local Starbucks closed today for this, and because of it our own store was slammed for coffee drinks because of it. In fact, their manager, who is one of my regular customers in the mornings, came by an told me about the closing, and came by while the "store staff meeting" had let out for a short break. The funny part is- when she comes over here to order, all she gets is a frappe!

Leo656 05-29-2018 09:34 PM

Pretty sure FWL was taking a dig at the "snowflake crowd".

As in, "Lots of people currently under 25 completely wasted their college experience by getting a useless degree like Racial Studies. Which is why they're working at Starbucks, and why they'll still be working at Starbucks when they're 50."

Unless I'm reading too much into it. I hope not, because it seemed like a really subtle jab and was legit one of the most clever things I've seen today.

Candy Kappa 05-29-2018 11:39 PM

Subtle? clever? FredWolfLeonardo's post?

Where's that J Jonah Jameson laughing video?

Andrew NDB 05-29-2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1762213)
Pretty sure FWL was taking a dig at the "snowflake crowd".

As in, "Lots of people currently under 25 completely wasted their college experience by getting a useless degree like Racial Studies. Which is why they're working at Starbucks, and why they'll still be working at Starbucks when they're 50."

Unless I'm reading too much into it. I hope not, because it seemed like a really subtle jab and was legit one of the most clever things I've seen today.

You're right. If true, that's the best post from FWL I've ever seen.

FredWolfLeonardo 05-29-2018 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1762213)
was legit one of the most clever things I've seen today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1762229)
You're right. If true, that's the best post from FWL I've ever seen.

Thank you :)

Autbot_Benz 05-30-2018 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Kappa (Post 1762228)
Subtle? clever? FredWolfLeonardo's post?

Where's that J Jonah Jameson laughing video?

https://i.imgur.com/HR15lXs.gif

FredWolfLeonardo 05-30-2018 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz (Post 1762233)

I can't quite tell whose side you're on :P

Klunk1234 06-22-2018 07:15 PM

Starbucks sealed their own fate, they are in bankruptcy and next year they will be closing their stores.

sdp 06-22-2018 07:28 PM

:lol:

Starbucks is not going bankrupt and despite things not doing as good as expected it's doing fine.

DarkFell 06-22-2018 08:02 PM

I probably make at least one Starbucks employee cry by brewing some generic store brand coffee at home.

It's rather nice when bringing your own $3 brewed mug of coffee, saves you from spending over $5 (or more) at a Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, Krispy Kreme, ect.

Leo656 06-22-2018 08:15 PM

There's already been lots of fallout from the new "Let anyone loiter" policy, though, at the Starbucks where the incident occurred and others. I'm far too lazy to dig, and it was a few weeks ago already, but I read more than one article where Starbucks employees were talking about being inundated with homeless people and drug addicts, finding blood, feces, and drug paraphernalia all over the bathrooms... which is WHY most stores have always had a "Buy something or get out" policy in the first place.

I don't envy them. "Betray common sense, or else you're a racist. Risk exposure to dirty needles and Hepatitis-infected blood, because some junkie just had to shoot up and decided YOUR store was the most convenient option." :roll: Not to mention the risk of assault; lots of homeless people are mentally ill, and even aside from that, a buddy of mine once got jumped by four guys in a White Castle bathroom, further illustrating why a certain amount of discretion is wise when allowing people into your store and restroom.

I wouldn't roll over for it. Too many risk factors involved. It's not a racial issue, it's a common sense issue. That's why our gym doesn't let "just anyone" in; the few times we let a non-member come in to use the bathroom, they always leave a mess and sometimes to a malicious degree, like pissing all over the seat or leaving the sink running full-blast. So my boss - who's black - refuses to admit non-members or anyone who doesn't have an appointment. "If they're not a customer, we can't have them in here taking up space or making a mess."

I guess he's just racist. :lol:

sdp 06-22-2018 08:27 PM

Just because you're upset about some nonsense doesn't mean a company is doing badly and if it is not because of those political reasons. Get a grip.

Leo656 06-22-2018 08:51 PM

I have no personal stake in Starbucks, if you're talking to me. I make my own coffee at home. I was simply stating that any store letting non-customers use their facilities is f*cking stupid, which is provably true. And also, that the employees of the Starbucks where the kerfluffle started are bemoaning the new open-door policy, because of course they are, any sane person would.

So please explain where I said anything about Starbucks, other than that? Kindly don't put words in my mouth; I couldn't possibly care less whether they thrive or go under.

Also, who's "upset"? I have an opinion, that doesn't mean it affects me personally.

Prowler 06-22-2018 10:29 PM

Starbucks sells coffee? They call that trash they serve "coffee"?!

Only tourists, particularly Asian ones, seem to go to Starbucks here.

MsMarvelDuckie 06-23-2018 09:53 PM

I dunno about their coffee, but I'm rather fond of their frappes and iced tea infusions. I get one whenever I want to really treat myself, and the cheese Danish croissants are pretty good too.