The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Books, Comics, and Other Literature (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Batman comics' popularity before the 70 or 80s (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58614)

LeotheLateBloomer 08-24-2017 10:46 AM

Batman comics' popularity before the 70 or 80s

Usually when Batman fans talk about his comics, they always seem to refer to comics that came out in the 80s and beyond, such as The Dark Knight Returns, Year One, A Death in the Family, The Killing Joke, Knightfall, The Long Halloween, The Court of The Owls/Night of the Owls, etc. But no one ever seems to talk about the comics before the mid-70s or early 80s. Like from 1939 to the 70s.

Do any of you consider his comics before the more popular titles relevant or interesting? Or are they just relics of their time?

Redeemer 08-24-2017 12:53 PM

Definitely One of the most importance comics in all of Batman was introduced in 71' Batman 232 Daughter of the Demon.
Done by Neal Adams and Dennis O'neil
This was the first appearance and creation of Ra's Al Ghoul!!!!!
This book introduces Talia, Ra's, League of Assassins and eventually spawns Damian Wayne the latest Robin.
Also during this time Batman is started to be considered a more serious character and Batman was breaking away from his silver age/ Batman 66' self. The 70's was defiantly a significant period for the Batman Comics!!

ZariusTwo 08-24-2017 01:21 PM

Steve Englehart's run at the time was fantastic. The animated series even adapted his finale "The Laughing Fish"

As good as he is, Englehart is a weirdo...he takes credit for everything the animated series and movies did later.

Spike Spiegel 08-24-2017 08:14 PM

I really enjoy the Adams/O'Neil run, along with the aforementioned Englehart stuff.

I think the late Marshall Rogers might be my favorite Batman artist ever.

http://www.gothamcalling.com/wp-cont.../Untitled9.png

LeotheLateBloomer 08-25-2017 08:45 AM

Why do you suppose that no one seems to ever talk about the earlier comics from the 40s to 50s, though? The only time I ever hear them brought up is when they say Batman used to kill. Do you think they're irrelevant to some?

Spike Spiegel 08-25-2017 01:49 PM

I've read some of the early Kane/Finger stories, but the Silver Age era after the publishing of "Seduction of the Innocent" and the implementation of the Comics Code isn't all that interesting to me. It was written for children, after all.

I think the Golden Age stuff has a historical relevance that goes beyond that.

Early 60s Marvel (the first issues of Fantastic Four, for instance) is about as close to the Silver Age as I like to get.

Redeemer 08-25-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel (Post 1709709)
I've read some of the early Kane/Finger stories, but the Silver Age era after the publishing of "Seduction of the Innocent" and the implementation of the Comics Code isn't all that interesting to me. It was written for children, after all.

I think the Golden Age stuff has a historical relevance that goes beyond that.

Early 60s Marvel (the first issues of Fantastic Four, for instance) is about as close to the Silver Age as I like to get.

Agreed. It wasn't until much later on that Batman became a more serious character.

LeotheLateBloomer 08-27-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemer (Post 1709771)
Agreed. It wasn't until much later on that Batman became a more serious character.

Well was there a difference between Golden Age and Silver Age Batman in terms of his personality as well as the tone of the comics?

Candy Kappa 08-27-2017 03:40 PM

I love me some Golden Age and Silver Age Batman

CyberCubed 08-27-2017 03:42 PM

I think this Batman was a perfect mix of not too goofy but not too dark like he became later on. It's like an odd mix of the caped crusader and the dark knight.

Redeemer 08-27-2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer (Post 1710002)
Well was there a difference between Golden Age and Silver Age Batman in terms of his personality as well as the tone of the comics?

From the few issue I read yes Batman was drastically different in those ages.

CandyKappa could answer this question better.

Golden Age Batman was very Punisher like with shooting and killing people
Silver Age Batman very cartoony and campy very much of a straight arrow.

MikeandRaph87 08-27-2017 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Kappa (Post 1710035)
I love me some Golden Age and Silver Age Batman

I am busy atm, so I will be back for a full reply, but please do Candy Kappa, list your favorite Golden/Silver Age stories!

myconius 09-03-2017 02:11 PM

i love me some Golden age Batman stories with him & Robin kicking thugs off buildings. or Batman kicking a guy's neck hard enough to snap, or punching a goon right into a vat of acid.
it's twisted but funny at the same time.

"a fitting end for his kind."