The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Is there a limit to what humans can create through technology and science? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58810)

TurtleWA 09-24-2017 05:42 PM

Is there a limit to what humans can create through technology and science?

I have just recently started thinking about this question. I still haven't arrived on an answer. What are your thought?

FredWolfLeonardo 09-24-2017 05:54 PM

Yes, there are plenty of limits.

Humans can't create or destroy matter, only change it into a different form.

Can't create immaterial entities like our minds. No Artificial intelligence has free will and is purely physical.

Basically we cannot defy the laws of physics and/or use technology and science to do something illogical like create a square circle.

And most of all, no amount of technology and science can't give us a meaningful and fufilling life. People vainly look for purpose in science when there is none.

Hope you find the answer :)

TurtleWA 09-24-2017 06:00 PM

In the present we can always find limitations. But with enough time could anything be possibly? I think 3D printing advances with food is a stepping stone to actual food replicators. And I've seen news stories about Science working on transporters.

FredWolfLeonardo 09-24-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleWA (Post 1717499)
In the present we can always find limitations. But with enough time could anything be possibly? I think 3D printing advances with food is a stepping stone to actual food replicators. And I've seen news stories about Science working on transporters.

Under current science, I am absolutely sure that not Everything will be possible like creating matter and minds etc.

The moment people can do that, science will have to adjust radically as it is not absolute truth by definition and always changing.

The one key thing to Remember is that no matter how accurate it is, science is always a model of a natural phenomena, not the phenomena itself.

So does the method, model and body of knowledge we collectively and currently know as "science" ever be able to do something that is outside of its realm? Absolutely not but we might call to choose a potential new method "science", if we find that it can do things that current science cannot.

Powder 09-24-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Is there a limit to what humans can create through technology and science?
Peace on earth. :tlol:

FredWolfLeonardo 09-24-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1717509)

Good one :lol:

TurtleWA 09-24-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1717506)
Under current science, I am absolutely sure that not Everything will be possible like creating matter and minds etc.

Not certain what you mean but when I google creating matter articles show up stating science can turn light into matter.

FredWolfLeonardo 09-24-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleWA (Post 1717512)
Not certain what you mean but when I google creating matter articles show up stating science can turn light into matter.

The Law of Conservation in science states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted.

Light is energy, it can theoretically be converted to matter, but it you need to have pre existing light to do so, and can't create Matter out of nothing.

TurtleWA 09-24-2017 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1717509)

You raise a good question. Is war (or human conflict) inevitable? Seems like that could be a completely new thread.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1717519)
The Law of Conservation in science states that energy/matter cannot be created or destroyed, only converted.

Light is energy, it can theoretically be converted to matter, but it you need to have pre existing light to do so, and can't create Matter out of nothing.

Oh.

FredWolfLeonardo 09-24-2017 06:59 PM

I guess science also can't prevent people from making the ever present political threads on the drome :lol:

Papenbrook 09-24-2017 07:05 PM

I don't think humans can ever get close to creating a shrink ray.

I also think that 4D technology is impossible to build.

TurtleWA 09-24-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1717521)
I guess science also can't prevent people from making the ever present political threads on the drome :lol:

Or posts quickly politicizing an innocent thread meant to be no more than fun talk about lasers and teleportation. It will eventually happen. :)

Wildcat 09-24-2017 11:27 PM

I think technology can evolve to do almost anything. It just takes a long time for it to get better. So I believe teleportation will be possible eventually.

I think we probably have a small understanding of how powerful technology could be.

People think we live in a really high tech world but if you look at everything around us a lot of things are still, at basics, the same as they were 80-100 years ago. They've just gotten smaller and more efficent.

Like cars operate much better but are still just 4 wheels on a platform and an engine. Laptops/PCs are smaller and faster but there's nothing revolutionary about the machines themselves without the internet.

Things we see in movies have only recently become possible like sophisticated AI, virtual reality and 3D printing but they're all still in their infancy.

Medicine is one of the things that's probably improved the best since most illness or injury can be treated and surgery is not medieval trial and error.

Andrew NDB 09-24-2017 11:33 PM

I believe that on the current trajectory, any kind of "cool!" technology, even anything of a meaningful spacefaring sort, will not see the light of day before all resources have to be poured into solving the problems we're allowing to proliferate now.

Utrommaniac 09-24-2017 11:39 PM

Transferring images from the mind to paper/computer...as much as I wish it.

Prowler 09-25-2017 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utrommaniac (Post 1717577)
Transferring images from the mind to paper/computer...as much as I wish it.

Even I'd become an artist if that as possible :lol:

Spike Spiegel 09-25-2017 08:41 AM

I used to think teleportation would be cool...and then I saw the 1986 remake of The Fly.

Whatever achievements we might make with technology are limited by our capacity to use those devices safely and ethically.

For instance, with how motorists text and drive today, would you want to see those same people piloting hovercrafts or flying cars?

ProphetofGanja 09-25-2017 08:53 AM

Yes, there are limits, but those limits lie very far from our current capabilities.

Splinter the boss 09-25-2017 02:41 PM

Everything has limits. There is a place science just cannot reach.

Andrew NDB 09-25-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splinter the boss (Post 1717708)
Everything has limits. There is a place science just cannot reach.

How do you know this?

FredWolfLeonardo 09-25-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1717709)
How do you know this?

Because science is not meant to answer everything. Its simply a model we use to explain natural 8
phenomena via observation and experiment. Nothing less, Nothing More.

Suggesting it is capable of answering questions outside of its realm is ludicrous.

Andrew NDB 09-25-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1717712)
Because science is not meant to answer everything.

But assuming all pertinent data is collected surrounding something... what exactly wouldn't it be able to explain, ever?

Splinter the boss 09-25-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1717712)
Because science is not meant to answer everything. Its simply a model we use to explain natural 8
phenomena via observation and experiment. Nothing less, Nothing More.

Suggesting it is capable of answering questions outside of its realm is ludicrous.

Well said.

FredWolfLeonardo 09-25-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1717715)
But assuming all pertinent data is collected surrounding something... what exactly wouldn't it be able to explain, ever?

The fact that not all entities are scientifically measurable. Only physical entities of matter and energy are.

All non-physical entities in the modern scientific framework of physicalism and empircism are disregarded as illusions, they are never explained. Its the opposite of solipsism.

AT-Man 09-25-2017 05:35 PM

There might be limits to what humans can do with technology, but there's no limit to what can be done with technology, as long as resources are there.

Cryomancer 09-25-2017 06:08 PM

There are probably theoretical practical limits like trying to build something that requires more material than exists in the universe but essentially there is no real ceiling. Plenty of things we can't do YET, sure. But as long as we're still around and still advancing we can get a little closer every time.

Sure there are things we can't measure, but eventually we might come up with a way to do so. A caveman could use fire but he couldn't accurately measure it's temperature. Nowadays you can just order a device to do that for you from the internet, you don't even have to be a scientist.

TurtleWA 09-25-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat (Post 1717575)
I think technology can evolve to do almost anything. It just takes a long time for it to get better. So I believe teleportation will be possible eventually.

I think we probably have a small understanding of how powerful technology could be.

People think we live in a really high tech world but if you look at everything around us a lot of things are still, at basics, the same as they were 80-100 years ago. They've just gotten smaller and more efficent.

Like cars operate much better but are still just 4 wheels on a platform and an engine. Laptops/PCs are smaller and faster but there's nothing revolutionary about the machines themselves without the internet.

Things we see in movies have only recently become possible like sophisticated AI, virtual reality and 3D printing but they're all still in their infancy.

Medicine is one of the things that's probably improved the best since most illness or injury can be treated and surgery is not medieval trial and error.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja (Post 1717625)
Yes, there are limits, but those limits lie very far from our current capabilities.

It's like y'all took the words right out my mouth.

I do wonder if time travel could ever happen. It's difficult to imagine what 200, 500 or even 1000 years in the future will hold as far as science and technology advances go. And I know people say 'well then why aren't we visited by time travelers?' But the invention might have its limitations and only allow for present2future&back2present type of travel. So no traveling to the distant past.

Wildcat 09-25-2017 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleWA (Post 1717833)
It's like y'all took the words right out my mouth.

I do wonder if time travel could ever happen. It's difficult to imagine what 200, 500 or even 1000 years in the future will hold as far as science and technology advances go. And I know people say 'well then why aren't we visited by time travelers?' But the invention might have its limitations and only allow for present2future&back2present type of travel. So no traveling to the distant past.

Ive actually been reading about time travel and some say it's theoretically possible and others say it's not.

They say traveling back in time is most likely impossible. That even if you could send an object back through spacetime it wouldn't really be going back. It would just be moving backwards.

To go to the future requires traveling into space near the speed of light and back. The other way is to position yourself near a blackhole since time moves even slower the closer you get to one. Of course neither is technically possible.

This is not really time travel imo though. It's just leaving to wait out earth time.

In terms of actual time travel (the way we all think of it), I would say you never know. I agree just because we are not visited by time travelers doesn't prove anything. They could be sworn to secrecy so they don't mess up anything.

If time travel is not possible by some super technology then maybe by another kind of force? Like something supernatural. There's probably a lot we don't know about the universe. Again because our technology is limited to mostly us.

I totally believe in aliens. Earth can not be the only planet out of billions with intelligent life and unique species. There's gotta be at least a handful out there. Regardless if they're 100 times more advanced. I bet some are in some way.

TurtleWA 09-26-2017 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat (Post 1717879)
In terms of actual time travel (the way we all think of it), I would say you never know. I agree just because we are not visited by time travelers doesn't prove anything. They could be sworn to secrecy so they don't mess up anything.

Or maybe time travel makes you forget. Déjà vu could be the travelers brain fighting to remember. It's entertaining to think about.

Wildcat 09-26-2017 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleWA (Post 1717880)
Or maybe time travel makes you forget. Déjà vu could be the travelers brain fighting to remember. It's entertaining to think about.

Ya that's another way to think of it.

Even if time travelers could reveal themselves nobody would believe them with without 100% proof. Which they couldn't prove unless the machine or whatever they used came with them and that might not be possible. If they're from the future they'd have to predict something not far off with extreme accuracy.

MsMarvelDuckie 09-26-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat (Post 1717897)
Ya that's another way to think of it.

Even if time travelers could reveal themselves nobody would believe them with without 100% proof. Which they couldn't prove unless the machine or whatever they used came with them and that might not be possible. If they're from the future they'd have to predict something not far off with extreme accuracy.

Three words.Grey's Sports Almanac...... :trazz:

MikeandRaph87 09-26-2017 07:39 PM

I am disappointed in this thread. I thought someone was going to post the obvious answer which is found in msmarvelduckie's signature! "Where science ends, magic begins" Spiral, UnCanny X-Men#491.

ProphetofGanja 09-26-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1718061)
Three words.Grey's Sports Almanac...... :trazz:

Ah, but who's to say that going back in time wouldn't allow all those games to play out differently? Sure, some match-ups were so uneven that they'd happened the same but in some cases it all basically comes down to flipping a coin, and it's anyone's guess whether it'll be heads or tails anytime its thrown into the air.

So yeah, I would be worried about altering the timeline if I went into the past, especially in unintended ways. Like that one Halloween episode of The Simpsons.

MsMarvelDuckie 09-26-2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1718073)
I am disappointed in this thread. I thought someone was going to post the obvious answer which is found in msmarvelduckie's signature! "Where science ends, magic begins" Spiral, UnCanny X-Men#491.

Ah thank you for that! I have always felt they are two sides of the same coin. The boundries between the two can often appear immense until one realizes that just a few centuries ago many of our modern conveniences would have been thought of as "magick". Who is to day that things we currently still consider as being in the realm of the supernatural won't eventually become scientific fact as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja (Post 1718075)
Ah, but who's to say that going back in time wouldn't allow all those games to play out differently? Sure, some match-ups were so uneven that they'd happened the same but in some cases it all basically comes down to flipping a coin, and it's anyone's guess whether it'll be heads or tails anytime its thrown into the air.

So yeah, I would be worried about altering the timeline if I went into the past, especially in unintended ways. Like that one Halloween episode of The Simpsons.

I think that simply going back in time and predicting a game's outcome as proof of being from the future would have little chance of somehow affecting said game's outcome unless one were to attempt to influence it directly. I was talking primarily about revealing a game's outcome before it is over rather than being at said game and causing some kind of interference.