The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   TMNT #79 Preview and Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59647)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-26-2018 08:54 AM

TMNT #79 Preview and Discussion

https://www.idwpublishing.com/produc...ja-turtles-79/

Oh yay. More of the O'Neil parents. :trazz:

At least we'll get more Baxter Stockman!

CyberCubed 02-26-2018 11:40 AM

April's parents going through a mid-life crisis in their 50/60's, exactly what I want to see when I read comics about Ninja Turtles. :lol:

The action in the Triceraton/EPF war looks really good from those few pages. This is been my favorite arc in the main series for quite a while, as long as not too much time is spend with the ol' fuddy duddies, I expect this to be good.

Also really excited to see how Splinter reacts if/when the Turtles break his rule of staying behind in Foot HQ's and betray him and come into the fight. We may finally see the Splinter/TMNT feud in full swing, whereas before it was just "Splinter is acting weirdly."

oldmanwinters 02-26-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1748660)

Oh yay. More of the O'Neil parents. :trazz:

I've got a feeling this is the storyline where they finally get killed off. Don't get me wrong, parents can be great in comics (Ma & Pa Kent, for example), but with as many characters as the IDW Turtles-verse has contending for the spotlight, it's time for the O'Neil family to get a little smaller.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-26-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1748672)
April's parents going through a mid-life crisis in their 50/60's, exactly what I want to see when I read comics about Ninja Turtles. :lol:

The action in the Triceraton/EPF war looks really good from those few pages. This is been my favorite arc in the main series for quite a while, as long as not too much time is spend with the ol' fuddy duddies, I expect this to be good.

Also really excited to see how Splinter reacts if/when the Turtles break his rule of staying behind in Foot HQ's and betray him and come into the fight. We may finally see the Splinter/TMNT feud in full swing, whereas before it was just "Splinter is acting weirdly."

I don't mind seeing the O'Neils, and I would love to see them meet more of the mutants...

But we've barely had any Turtle action in this story arc. I guess it has a lot in common with Volume 4's first few issues... the Turtles as more bystander and less participant.

ChosenOne 02-26-2018 12:30 PM

Despite the apparent - and noticeable - lack of recent presence/action for the Turtles, my money's on this issue ending with a cliffhanger setting up a physical confrontation with Splinter.

bushido 02-26-2018 02:09 PM

Full preview here.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-26-2018 02:11 PM

Man, Slash is going to be seriously messed up if he ever gets free of Bishop... :teek:

Poor snapping turtle. :tsad:

CyberCubed 02-26-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1748675)
I've got a feeling this is the storyline where they finally get killed off. Don't get me wrong, parents can be great in comics (Ma & Pa Kent, for example), but with as many characters as the IDW Turtles-verse has contending for the spotlight, it's time for the O'Neil family to get a little smaller.

To be honest I said this before, I wouldn't mind a "bloodbath" of sorts to reduce the main cast a bit. We're already seeing it with Krang's untimely death and so forth. Seeing some of the lesser characters killed off would be fine with me if they have no more story potential and make an impact on the cast.

Now of course I wouldn't say this for everyone, but even something like Slash dying and Old Hob wanting to take vengeance on Bishop because of it and causing a rampage would be great story potential.

Utrommaniac 02-26-2018 02:41 PM

At this point, I do see a likelihood of Slash dying growing a little bit more.

(Though, I'd rather have been dash off and form a "Misery club" with Leatherhead)

spookycookies 02-26-2018 03:02 PM

Why can't we send the O'Neil's back to Northampton? New York is going to be destroyed so it isn't really the best place for them plus it gives some reason for the Turtles to return there if they ever were going to.

I am hoping that the Turtles get their time to shine in the back end of this arc, it's been a while since we have seen the O'Neil's, Casey and Hun. Sure we have a lot of characters running around in this comic but I don't mind them as long as they are being put to use in the story.

But who knows if this is the last of April's parents then maybe she will grow from it and be more involved in the story. I think a big problem with every incarnation of the TMNT if eventually April and Casey get tossed into a corner and they just don't matter any more. I always felt they deserved more than that.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-26-2018 03:08 PM

Slash is gonna survive long enough to take out Bishop someday down the road. With a whole lotta angst in between. :trazz:

Utrommaniac 02-26-2018 03:16 PM

Likely at Leatherhead's advice.
Kinda like...

And...also probably against Mike's advice on the other side.

Utrommaniac 02-28-2018 12:57 AM

Well then

Spoiler:
A good amount of turtles for those itching for them to show up again.

It looks like sticking the Triceratons on Burnow is probably going to be at April's suggestion.

And boy, it looks like the big finale is going to happen in a church of all places.
Which...looks like it will be fun.
The guy in the pulpit gave me a good laugh.

Splinter, meanwhile, is starting to get a little worrying...Mike should probably put some of his mini psychiatry lessons to work more toward him than "not worrying about it". Especially while he's coming down with the "Dad Gets Extreme Power; Goes Nuts" Complex.

ProphetofGanja 02-28-2018 06:25 AM

First off let me just say that I love, love, love IDW''s TMNT comics with Comixology's Guided View mode. Great stuff

Okay wow, things are really coming to a head fast between Splinter and his sons. I think it's safe to say that they've reached the breaking point and I'm really curious to see how things are resolved (or if they are) in the next issue. 80 issues of IDW, damn that's crazy. What a wild ride it's been. And that's not even including the tie-in stuff!

How did you all like Brahm Revel's art? Has he done any TMNT work before? I thought it was great. It's a shame Couceiro couldn't finish the story arc but Revel's work fits in well and I like his take on the characters. I hope he can tackle a whole story sometime soon.

I haven't minded that the Turtles have been sharing so much screentime in this story; to me it merely emphasizes the scope of the events taking place, how the Triceraton Invasion is affecting everyone, literally the whole world will likely feel the effects of these events. If I had to find something to complain about (and it's a stretch to call it complaining when it's more like nitpicking), it would be how long the Turtles have been running at top speed. They've had essentially zero downtime since before the second Ghostbusters crossover, the Trial of Krang, and the Dimension X miniseries. The extent to which they've been exerting themselves is near superhuman and I for one would not mind at all seeing them take even just a short breather. They deserve it, and some slice-of-life story beats in light of all the drastic, status quo-altering stuff going on would be totally welcome.

Anyways, this was 10 out of 10 for me, awesome stuff.

myconius 02-28-2018 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja (Post 1748970)
How did you all like Brahm Revel's art? Has he done any TMNT work before?

Brahm Revel did the 'What is Ninja?' back up story in TMNT Universe that spanned Issues 6, 7, 8 & 9.

ChosenOne 02-28-2018 09:23 AM

Regarding the way this issue ends... Did I nail it or what? :D

Gotta say, that panel with the EPF soldiers rappelling from the helicopter and the rooftops down towards the Turtles was absolutely gorgeous!

And how funny is it that they took the time to put band-aids on their injuries before showing up at the church? :lol:

Are those Foot mooks with Splinter new ranks/characters? The blindfolded woman in particular caught my attention.

Great issue! Totally worth the wait, and #80 promises to be even better!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-28-2018 09:44 AM

So waking up this morning, my mind immediately went to "I get to read #79 today!" and I made a conscious decision to quit grousing about what this story arc has been doing and set my expectations aside. Because this arc isn't doing at all what I would've expected.

So, that said... it's fascinating that my expectations have been completely bypassed, and the crux of this story is Turtles versus Splinter and the Foot Clan, not Turtles versus Bishop or Turtles versus Triceratons.

Not enough Baxter in this issue for me, but I'm a sucker for Stockman. :tgrin:

Solid issue; I'll give it a perfect 5/7!

CyberCubed 02-28-2018 12:07 PM

This was a very good issue, surprised we didn't see what happened with Hun/Casey from the previous issue though. It'll be interesting to see if Hun will finally start to come on good terms with his son.

The Turtles got a lot of action in this issue which is good because they didn't do much in the last few. Bishop in the action was great, and I'm glad not too much time was spent on April's parents but it seems like it led into what Baxter/April were doing.

That last page of Zom saying she wanted to take over NY and then alluding that the dominant species would rule most of the Earth is proof Triceratons would inevitably go to their war-like ways and try to conquer the Earth. In a way it's a good thing they were met with Bishop's forces and now Splinter, it seems like the Triceratons are not ready for a truce and should be deported. I guess them settling on Burnow is a safe bet due to universe previews but I think they will leave Earth altogether.

Of course the fallout between the Turtles/Splinter will also be interesting to see. Liked that there was a female Elite Guard there too.

Utrommaniac 02-28-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

I haven't minded that the Turtles have been sharing so much screentime in this story; to me it merely emphasizes the scope of the events taking place, how the Triceraton Invasion is affecting everyone, literally the whole world will likely feel the effects of these events.

Oh my god, thank you!
You've majorly simplified my issue with the "the turtles are guest stars in their own story!" complaint. Especially for this particular storyline. Their world is not the only one at stake here. It's everyone's world. Thereby, there need to be attention on the people who share that world.

Quote:

If I had to find something to complain about (and it's a stretch to call it complaining when it's more like nitpicking), it would be how long the Turtles have been running at top speed. They've had essentially zero downtime since before the second Ghostbusters crossover, the Trial of Krang, and the Dimension X miniseries. The extent to which they've been exerting themselves is near superhuman and I for one would not mind at all seeing them take even just a short breather. They deserve it, and some slice-of-life story beats in light of all the drastic, status quo-altering stuff going on would be totally welcome.

The lack of downtime is worse when you really sit down and remember that they're still technically kids, and are probably getting less sleep than your average modern high schooler.

Let the children sleep, for pity's sake!

ChosenOne 02-28-2018 12:31 PM

Shredder caring more about the Turtles than their own father confirmed? He tried to put them to sleep all the time. :tcool: